No announcement yet.

2023-24 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, IMHO, the Summit League lags noticeably in WBB attendance, institutional support, & competitiveness when comparing the Dakota Four (& soon St Thomas) with the southern five.

Let's combine our top schools with those in the Horizon, the MV, or the BigSky. Perhaps the creation of another D-1 tier in BB, similar to the FCS/FBS divide, would keep SDSU/USD relevant.

SDSU may benefit from the NIL & TV dollars re-assembling college sports. P5 schools could elect to drop down to D-II rather than spend extravagantly to keep up with the Jones's.

Nothing will change tomorrow to improve 2023-24 or near-term.

Need re-alignment or revise NCAA expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
      Yes, IMHO, the Summit League lags noticeably in WBB attendance, institutional support, & competitiveness when comparing the Dakota Four (& soon St Thomas) with the southern five.

Let's combine our top schools with those in the Horizon, the MV, or the BigSky. Perhaps the creation of another D-1 tier in BB, similar to the FCS/FBS divide, would keep SDSU/USD relevant.

SDSU may benefit from the NIL & TV dollars re-assembling college sports. P5 schools could elect to drop down to D-II rather than spend extravagantly to keep up with the Jones's.

Nothing will change tomorrow to improve 2023-24 or near-term.

Need re-alignment or revise NCAA expectations.
      it SEEMS like you are getting a couple issues tangled together. the problems that you list regarding the summit are real or real to varying degrees but they are DEFINITELY NOT keeping our WBB program from being relevant. it is not really a stretch to say we are at least a borderline top 30 program in the country already and that number is definitely moving in the right direction

NIL obviously can / might have some impact on those issues, but at this point the real impact of NIL is pretty unknown. exactly HOW MANY schools really have the ability and the stomach to pay whatever it takes on a yearly basis to move up to...... what? i mean do we really think stanford and uconn and other perennial powers are going to stand by and let a bunch of schools NIL them out of the top 5 or top 10???
      so eventually if everyone is doing it, dont you just stay kinda the same? at which point is it really worth it?? maybe you are right. i cannot say that i have all the information or enough ability to predict the future but to me the future still seems pretty unknown and i am not sure it means we will fall off the map but i have a lot of doubt about that for WBB. MBB seems maybe more likely but still just as hard to predict

the summit is imperfect. no doubt! but playing in a league where you are the clear top dog is far from the worst thing in the world and i dont think that is the factor that stopped us from going further in the ncaa. injuries hurt us at the beginning and the end of this season and the league has nothing to do with that. i could go on about all this for an incredibly long time, maybe even by my own standard, let alone anyone elses, but i will leave it at this for now

Comment

Well, it’s good we have depth at the 2 position. The Sophomores will get their opportunity to shine.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
          Well, it’s good we have depth at the 2 position. The Sophomores will get their opportunity to shine.
          If you're going to post stuff like this then just say what you mean, no need to be all cryptic. With your post it seems like you are saying Timmer tore an ACL or another significant injury as was alluded to on another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post

If you're going to post stuff like this then just say what you mean, no need to be all cryptic. With your post it seems like you are saying Timmer tore an ACL or another significant injury as was alluded to on another thread.
            Yes, ACL. Out for the season.

Comment

That really sucks and this team won't be as good unfortunately. As much as I like Meyer, Timmer was going to be the best player on the team with her versatility.

Hoping she comes back stronger than ever and one silver lining is she has her redshirt year to use.

Comment

Probably not much left for quality in the portal, but you have to think they are checking it out. Only other hope would be a late grad transfer.
                Last edited by bigticket1; 06-13-2023, 09:05 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=bigticket1;n534414]Probably not much left for quality left in the portal, but you have to think they are checking it out. Only other hope would be a late grad transfer.[/QUOTE

You have to go out and get something. We have 11 girls on the roster, three of which are freshman. We are another injury away from things getting away from us and it is a long time until February.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jackrabbit2012;n534415]
                    Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    Probably not much left for quality left in the portal, but you have to think they are checking it out. Only other hope would be a late grad transfer.[/QUOTE

You have to go out and get something. We have 11 girls on the roster, three of which are freshman. We are another injury away from things getting away from us and it is a long time until February.
                    Unless i am missing something, there are 12 girls on the roster. i would not suspect that AJ is going to add people who are nothing more than warm bodies. i feel like Nielsen is still going to be at least a year away from playing, meaning if some circumstance forced her onto the floor i dont think she is ready to handle it but maybe she will prove me totally wrong

i really dont think they are planning to get a lot from the 2 freshman this year, but again maybe they will prove me wrong too

other than that, i think the other 9 are ready to embrace the opportunity in front of them and i think some of them are going to take a big jump forward

i feel like AJ NEVER stops keeping his eyes and ears open for someone who would be a good fit!! and i think if they could rub aladins lamp they would wish for player or two who fit with the chemistry and philosophy and could contribute for one year. at the same time i dont think they are scared at all to go into the season with the roster they have. it does ZERO good to worry about injuries. there is nothing you can do to control some things and injuries are pretty much at the top of that list

Comment

With TImmer out we are down to 11 girls. The way I see it four of them have seen significant minutes in the past that I have little doubt can contribute next year (MeyerX2,Nelson,Theisen), two of the sophomores played sporadic minutes last year and we need major steps forward next year from them, Vlastuin has seen her role change multiple times throughout the last couple of years where she would go long stretches without playing, Byom has seen very limited minutes throughout her career, and the final three are freshman. I'm not saying worrying about injuries is keeping me awake at night, but I just don't see a lot of depth on this roster anymore and you are expecting either some big leaps forward from the sophomores or a freshman to contribute right away.

Comment

The luxury of playing starters 20+ minutes does not appear to be likely. Some starters will likely play closer to 30 minutes plus than averages from last year. Each year the freshmen have contributions and we can expect 1 of the freshmen to have visibility. We have some all conference players in starting roles that ought to provide that leadership. We are likely going to schedule a tough OOC although less challenging than the past year since it does not appear there will be any holiday tourneys. The Summit will be improved at the top half of the standings which will be good for the conference competition.
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

[QUOTE=LetsGoRabbits;n534416]
                          Originally posted by Jackrabbit2012 View Post

Unless i am missing something, there are 12 girls on the roster. i would not suspect that AJ is going to add people who are nothing more than warm bodies. i feel like Nielsen is still going to be at least a year away from playing, meaning if some circumstance forced her onto the floor i dont think she is ready to handle it but maybe she will prove me totally wrong

i really dont think they are planning to get a lot from the 2 freshman this year, but again maybe they will prove me wrong too

other than that, i think the other 9 are ready to embrace the opportunity in front of them and i think some of them are going to take a big jump forward

i feel like AJ NEVER stops keeping his eyes and ears open for someone who would be a good fit!! and i think if they could rub aladins lamp they would wish for player or two who fit with the chemistry and philosophy and could contribute for one year. at the same time i dont think they are scared at all to go into the season with the roster they have. it does ZERO good to worry about injuries. there is nothing you can do to control some things and injuries are pretty much at the top of that list
                          WELL!! pardon me, i obviously WAS missing something

i have no idea HOW i missed the statement regarding Timmie
                          TOTAL FREAKING BUMMER!!!!!

it obviously happens plenty in the mens game but it is far worse for female athletes. i have known about the higher prevalence of this injury for girls for almost 20 years now but this is becoming totally nuts and this coming from someone whose son tore his acl 2x(((

i feel like i really want to be careful what i say for fear of feeling like a jinx to any of our programs and obviously plenty of our programs have had disgusting injury histories, seems worse and more annoying recently, but the amount of acl tears in our WBB program would be totally mind boggling if not for the commonality of the injury to female athletes in general and WBBallers particularly. even with that it still feels LIKE AN AWFUL LOT

if i think recent history i am POSITIVE i will forget plenty but off the top of my head

M Waytashek i am pretty sure had at least one
                          Macy one in HS one in college
                          Myah lots of other injury issues (feet, shoulder) but i think only one acl, but still one
                          Dru one in HS one last year
                          Kallie at least one
                          Paige at least one
                          Timmie at least one

almost every player on that list was at one time either CLEARLY the most valuable player on our roster or arguably the most talented or they will be that person in this or future seasons. like i said that is off the top of my head. i am sure i am forgetting some

that said i still think that injuries at some point are out of your control. they definitely are doing things now to PRE-Hab injuries and specifically to decrease chances for knee injuries, but at the end of the day there is still a HUGE degree of randomness or lack of control when it comes to injuries

and therefore spending a lot of time worrying about them is not super productive. AJ has ALWAYS attempted to keep a deep roster with the ability to put at least 8 quality players on the floor and often playing as many as 10 or even 11. that is about as good of depth as you can hope or ask for

on top of that, it is one thing if you lose your 7th or 8th girl (none of the girls listed really fit that, maybe Kallie when she got hurt as a true freshman, but i think they definitely had hopes of very meaningful contributions from her that year. Tori became a full time starter by the end of that year and Kallie was definitely the more highly regarded player coming in) but when you lose one of your top one or two players there is really little you can do to replace that type of player!!!!

beyond that i am not sure my previous thoughts change much
                          first off this SUCKS for Timmie!!!!
                          SUCKS for her teammates who were looking forward to playing with her this year!!!
                          i doubt we will just take on a warm body
                          first off AJ will still want someone who FITS the program
                          I believe that the team believes that
                          Tori
                          Kallie
                          Paige
                          Brooklyn
                          Maddie M
                          Ellie K
                          all have a very VERY good chance to show significantly more game this year. i think that if they think that, i agree with them!!

Maddie V and Mesa both could make very positive contributions. currently my expectations for Jenna and Hillary are that they are 9 and 10 in the pecking order but i wont be surprised if that is wrong

i have NO DOUBT every player on the team is very sad about the injury and they would want Timmie back and healthy immediately if that was possible!!! at the same time i hope EVERY player on the roster realizes that the NEED and the OPPORTUNITY for them to have a bigger role on this team just got significantly BIGGER!!!! and i hope every one of them has some level of excitement and determination to step into that opportunity

Comment

After Thanksgiving, volleyball is over (?) - would Schetnan play?

At 6'5" the rebounding power appeals ...
                            Last edited by GrandpaLee; 06-17-2023, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
                              After Thanksgiving, volleyball is over (?) - would Schetnan play?

At 6'5' the rebounding power appeals ...
                              I saw an interview she gave and she said that AJ immediately reached out to her but she wants to focus on volleyball right now.

Comment

ESPN lays off 20 on-air positions as part of cost-saving measure. NBA analysts Jeff Van Gundy and Jalen Rose, NFL analyst Keyshawn Johnson, NFL reporter Suzy Kolber, and television personality Max Kellerman.

So begins a (possible) realignment in TV/$treaming $port$ dollar$ - ESPN networks not performing for Disney - MLB regional networks renege on payments - viewers NOT growing revenue streams.

Following this shake-out of network contracts [which feed NCAA realignments], we could see: (1) give pause to any college not eager to leap into the NIL fray; (2) jump start discussions of tiers in more sports; (3) and much more.
                                Last edited by GrandpaLee; 07-04-2023, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X