2023-24 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023-24 Season

Charlie Creme has started his Bracketology page for next season. Currently has us as an 11 seed AQ. So obviously he thinks we will still be a very strong team but down a little from this year. Very fair I think.

He had us as a 12 most of this past year....

Comment

I agree that we will be slightly down from last year, but they also didn't have Paige in the non-conference which probably cost them a seed line or two. 9 or 10..

Comment

Although we will be missing 2 excellent players with many years experience, the 2023-24 team has 9 players I believe that were either starters or starters at times plus reserves with a decent amount of playing time. Plus in that 9 none are freshman unlike the 3 that had playing time this past year! That experience will be big…hopefully!!

Comment

The returners will all need to be more consistent in their play & if I had a worry about anything that would be my main one.

Comment

Originally posted by Borderboy View Post
            The returners will all need to be more consistent in their play & if I had a worry about anything that would be my main one.
            I'm confident that Theisen and B.Meyer can replace the production in the post. They do need to find perimeter shooting to make up for losing Myah, whether that means players already on the roster stepping up, or finding a shooter through the portal.

Comment

Big Sky-Summit League challenge might be depressing - a comparison of team rankings (in Massey & NET) shows the Big Sky ahead overall.
              The Jacks are the obvious exception, #34/34 vs #108/87 Sacramento St.

Of course, those services' final 2022-23 rankings had Louisville, Mississippi St, and Southern Cal ahead of the real SDSU.

Still hold the opinion that we need stronger competition, away from Summit League. Too many teams not serious about WBB ....

Comment

Has anyone heard where the WBB Thanksgiving holiday tournament will be this year?
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                  Has anyone heard where the WBB Thanksgiving holiday tournament will be this year?
                  Info from a quick survey was that the Cancun Challenge is full and that the Cayman Island event is full & loaded: KU, LSU, UCONN, UCLA, Tulane, Virginia, Virginia Tech, & Niagara.

Quite a few tournaments have not been announced Maui Classic, San Juan (PR), Las Vegas Shoot Out, Gulf Coast, Atlantis, Paradise Jam, Pink Flamingo, and Phil Nike. etc ......

18-games-in-conference, plus the two obligatory games with BigSky means the Jacks must win most/all ten non-conference tilts to get a high NCAA seed - -

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post

Info from a quick survey was that the Cancun Challenge is full, and that the Cayman Island event is full & loaded: KU, LSU, UCONN, UCLA, Tulane, Virginia, Virginia Tech, & Niagara.

Quite a few tournaments have not been announced Maui Classic, San Juan (PR), Las Vegas Shoot Out, Gulf Coast, Atlantis, Paradise Jam, Pink Flamingo, Phil Nike. etc ......
                    USD has them going to Battle for Atlantis on their web site. Following in our foot steps it seems, or was it a tournament by invitation I think I recall. Kudos to them in any event, challenging themselves to get better.
                    Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-20-2023, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

I'm confident that Theisen and B.Meyer can replace the production in the post. They do need to find perimeter shooting to make up for losing Myah, whether that means players already on the roster stepping up, or finding a shooter through the portal.
                      I agree with Theisen and B. Meyer for sure handling the post. For perimeter shooting, P. Meyer and Timmer will most likely increase their playmaking and outside shooting. But, will Vlastuin and Nelson increase production up front?? Mathiowetz and Colbeck I’m speculating will improve outside shooting. Dru helped last year when P. Meyer was injured….man if Dru didn’t have an ACL problem…we would have been way tougher to beat.

If we can find a good player like Dru that fits with the team for perimeter shooting and tough wing player, be great. Couple injuries would really hurt…so due to just that….should have at least one more player to take up a little slack of Myah and Payton!! Thats my non coaching experience prognosis!!!

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Madison M makes a big step forward. IMO we saw a glimpse of what she can do later in the season. She has moxie.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
                          Big Sky-Summit League challenge might be depressing - a comparison of team rankings (in Massey & NET) shows the Big Sky ahead overall.
                          The Jacks are the obvious exception, #34/34 vs #108/87 Sacramento St.

Of course, those services' final 2022-23 rankings had Louisville, Mississippi St, and Southern Cal ahead of the real SDSU.

Still hold the opinion that we need stronger competition, away from Summit League. Too many teams not serious about WBB ....
                          sorry i am not sure i know what you are saying? are you saying the summit league competition is not good enough? are you saying you want us to look for a different league to join? or are you saying that we need to schedule a more challenging OOC schedule? i am not sure, which one of those things or something else you mean by, "we need stronger competition, away from summit league."

i have to guess you did not mean a stronger OOC, as i am pretty sure our OOC last year was top 5 (maybe top 3) in the country
                          getting out of the league?? probably an idea with some merit for both WBB and MBB but overall?? there are no doubt solid arguments on both sides and i am sure the SDSU leaders continually explore every possibility to keep us in the best possible situation

as far as our fellow league members
                          I really think one of, if not the clear biggest problem is the constant turnover of coaches. coaches either leaving or getting fired. consistency in the program would be the first step toward improvement for many of the schools. I am not looking it up at the moment but JD at WIU has to be by far the longest tenured coach in the league outside of AJ. YES I KNOW, JD does not really improve my point, but i think WIU has a lot of other problems (facilities, financial support for athletic programs, to name a couple) i am not sure there is another coach in the league that has been there longer than 4 years

anyway, OBVIOUSLY, it would be a great benefit for us if our league would provide better competition. at the same time, there are DEFINITELY benefits to being seen as a more than solid bet to be in the ncaa nearly every year

and if seeding is the BIG concern, just remember that if you cannot get high enough to get at least a 7 seed, there is a very solid argument that being a 12 seed is the best possible scenario. point being that we seem to start most years in the conversation for something like a 12 seed. i would rather be a 12 every year as opposed to continually being seeded at 8 or 9

Comment

Originally posted by 73alum View Post

I agree with Theisen and B. Meyer for sure handling the post. For perimeter shooting, P. Meyer and Timmer will most likely increase their playmaking and outside shooting. But, will Vlastuin and Nelson increase production up front?? Mathiowetz and Colbeck I’m speculating will improve outside shooting. Dru helped last year when P. Meyer was injured….man if Dru didn’t have an ACL problem…we would have been way tougher to beat.

If we can find a good player like Dru that fits with the team for perimeter shooting and tough wing player, be great. Couple injuries would really hurt…so due to just that….should have at least one more player to take up a little slack of Myah and Payton!! Thats my non coaching experience prognosis!!!
                            very much agree about Maddie and Elly. i think there is a very solid chance, at least one of them if not both will shoot it better next year, AND i very much hope our speculating / hoping comes TRUE becasue we NEED IT! and i have said it before and will agree with 98Farmer comment following yours, i would put my bet on Maddie M to make the bigger jump. i acutally think she did almost everything well this year except for her shooting

we can only guess how many more wins we would have picked up with a healthy Dru, but it is also just VERY sad and disappointing from the point of view of how much FUN it would have been to see a player of her ability to play at her TRUE ability. i very much believe she would have been our pretty clear second best player and undoubtedly would have had games where she looked like our number one

beyond that, the injury obviously got irritated and was more limiting during some games. that UNFORTUNATELY INCLUDED both ncaa games. she clearly was not able to contribute anything and to be honest, based on what she did previously at Utah, she should have had a shot to come close to holding her own with the PG from VT

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

sorry i am not sure i know what you are saying? are you saying the summit league competition is not good enough? are you saying you want us to look for a different league to join? or are you saying that we need to schedule a more challenging OOC schedule? i am not sure, which one of those things or something else you mean by, "we need stronger competition, away from summit league."

i have to guess you did not mean a stronger OOC, as i am pretty sure our OOC last year was top 5 (maybe top 3) in the country
                              getting out of the league?? probably an idea with some merit for both WBB and MBB but overall?? there are no doubt solid arguments on both sides and i am sure the SDSU leaders continually explore every possibility to keep us in the best possible situation

as far as our fellow league members
                              I really think one of, if not the clear biggest problem is the constant turnover of coaches. coaches either leaving or getting fired. consistency in the program would be the first step toward improvement for many of the schools. I am not looking it up at the moment but JD at WIU has to be by far the longest tenured coach in the league outside of AJ. YES I KNOW, JD does not really improve my point, but i think WIU has a lot of other problems (facilities, financial support for athletic programs, to name a couple) i am not sure there is another coach in the league that has been there longer than 4 years

anyway, OBVIOUSLY, it would be a great benefit for us if our league would provide better competition. at the same time, there are DEFINITELY benefits to being seen as a more than solid bet to be in the ncaa nearly every year

and if seeding is the BIG concern, just remember that if you cannot get high enough to get at least a 7 seed, there is a very solid argument that being a 12 seed is the best possible scenario. point being that we seem to start most years in the conversation for something like a 12 seed. i would rather be a 12 every year as opposed to continually being seeded at 8 or 9
                              I agree, the 8 and 9 seed line seems to be a hindrance rather than a reinforcement , which seems odd to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X