X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    I'd think she'd be one of the leading candidates, after all SDSU did take AJ over then P-5 assistant Jeff Waltz of Louisville, so there is precedent in doing that, with very good results I'd say.
    I am personally a big fan of hiring from within if there is a quality candidate and i think in this case there would be, you know them and they know you. plus all the returning players and the recruits coming in know her and would expect to be coming into the same or a very similar system

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied
    Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
    i cannot say what AJ will do but i sure hope he stays!!

in the unfortunate event he leaves, obviously the jacks would get plenty of good candidates!

the most recent marquee sport hires came from within. would the jacks consider the same strategy? it definitely seems they like to hire people familiar with the SDSU way of doing things. they always have

i could go back further but going back to the 70s, Zulk played for the jacks before he coached the jacks. Thorson worked for Zulk, nagy worked for Thorson, hendo worked for TJ

AJ worked for both Nagy and Nancy

I think without question Coach Thielbar is respected, is she ready to be HC? i dont know but you would think she is gonna get a shot, if she wants one, fairly soon. i imagine that her bio says, but i am thinking between her 2 stints with the jacks she has been with AJ somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years

I dont think Rotert has enough experience yet? no? yes? would they go that route?
    what about Lori Fish at SCSU

does someone else, with or without Jackrabbit ties, come to mind?
    I'd think she'd be one of the leading candidates, after all SDSU did take AJ over then P-5 assistant Jeff Waltz of Louisville, so there is precedent in doing that, with very good results I'd say.

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied
    How long has Minny kept a coach recently, if they don't produce? Not as long as NDSU kept their losing coaches for sure, that set them back a lot. That said, I think we'd give any new coach a decent time to prove themselves I'd hope. But , hopefully AJ stays, with a good raise and see just how far he can take the program, that seems important to him, just my perspective, right or wrong.

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied
    Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post

Megan Vogel?
    She's been under Boeseth for 10 yrs also, she knows that system better than AJ's at this point. The question is ,which opportunity would she take if given the chance, my guess is the first one of the two to become available probably. It costs nothing to put your name in the hat does it? We don't have to worry about this post season though, AJ's too loyal and classy to ever walk away before the post season's done. He's got great recruits coming in, so the grass is getting greener there too. We'll just have to see what happens In my opinion,maybe we are fretting over nothing, maybe not.

Leave a comment:

• JRFanatic
    replied

in the unfortunate event he leaves, obviously the jacks would get plenty of good candidates!

the most recent marquee sport hires came from within. would the jacks consider the same strategy? it definitely seems they like to hire people familiar with the SDSU way of doing things. they always have

i could go back further but going back to the 70s, Zulk played for the jacks before he coached the jacks. Thorson worked for Zulk, nagy worked for Thorson, hendo worked for TJ

I think without question Coach Thielbar is respected, is she ready to be HC? i dont know but you would think she is gonna get a shot, if she wants one, fairly soon. i imagine that her bio says, but i am thinking between her 2 stints with the jacks she has been with AJ somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years

I dont think Rotert has enough experience yet? no? yes? would they go that route?

Megan Vogel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• JRFanatic
    replied

WHY?
    what is the evidence for this?

i am NOT saying he will or he wont, but i definitely do not think him going if offered is a slam dunk

why would he go- in no particular order
    1. coaching in the big 10
    2. pay
    3. home / personal / family connections to MN

but, it seems possible that AJ is invested in building what could be basically a big 10 team or very close to it in brookings.
    home? he is almost 50 now and has lived basically half his life / all his adult life in brookings. brookings is definitely home for his kids
    money? for some people (many? most?) there is some amount of money that cannot be turned down, but he has DEFINITELY had chances to leave for more money. will UM offer a number that seems impossible to turn down

also there are a LOT of costs to living in MN and the cities both monetary and other wise

FINALLY, and i really think this COULD be part of his thinking, WHY would he leave a wildly successful program to go to a crappy, start from the garbage heap, situation? AJ has a national profile and reputation. the basketball people KNOW who he is and what he has done. maybe he would be more tempted to go if the offer came from a good program instead of one he has to build from the ground

will there be reasons that a wise person would think he would / should go? YES
    will there be reasons that a wise person would think he would / should stay? YES
    Here are a few

1). And the likely of doubling/tripling his salary is significant wealth

2) The chance to make the tournament as an at large consistently. Yes, it can be done here but it takes a perfect schedule.

3) and maybe the most significant, the changing of college athletics. They money gap between B10 teams and SDSU (think private planes recruiting; additional staffing, NIL/outside money) is very real and appears to only be getting bigger.

I hope he stays, he obviously loves it here and likely has had multiple chances to leave but #3 is a relatively new factor….maybe the new arena is enough to get him to stay but I wouldn’t fault him for going. It would be hard to lose both him and Stig in the same year.

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied
    Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
    SDSU should pay up. He is worth it.
    Yes, I think so too, money well spent to keep a coach like AJ here and running the WBB program as well as he does. He's getting close to "nest egg" time.

Leave a comment:

• 98Jackfarmer
    replied

Megan Vogel?

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by JRFanatic View Post
    I don’t think AJ would turn it down if they offered. The real question is would that hire a male coach for the job.

WHY?
    what is the evidence for this?

i am NOT saying he will or he wont, but i definitely do not think him going if offered is a slam dunk

why would he go- in no particular order
    1. coaching in the big 10
    2. pay
    3. home / personal / family connections to MN

but, it seems possible that AJ is invested in building what could be basically a big 10 team or very close to it in brookings.
    home? he is almost 50 now and has lived basically half his life / all his adult life in brookings. brookings is definitely home for his kids
    money? for some people (many? most?) there is some amount of money that cannot be turned down, but he has DEFINITELY had chances to leave for more money. will UM offer a number that seems impossible to turn down

also there are a LOT of costs to living in MN and the cities both monetary and other wise

FINALLY, and i really think this COULD be part of his thinking, WHY would he leave a wildly successful program to go to a crappy, start from the garbage heap, situation? AJ has a national profile and reputation. the basketball people KNOW who he is and what he has done. maybe he would be more tempted to go if the offer came from a good program instead of one he has to build from the ground

will there be reasons that a wise person would think he would / should go? YES
    will there be reasons that a wise person would think he would / should stay? YES

Leave a comment:

• ringthebells
    replied
    SDSU should pay up. He is worth it.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied
    Money talks, so If the money is right who could blame him. Sdsu needs to pay up to keep him.

Leave a comment:

• JRFanatic
    replied
    I don’t think AJ would turn it down if they offered. The real question is would that hire a male coach for the job.

Leave a comment:

• GoJacks2011
    replied
    Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    I don't think Coach AJ is going anywhere, either. I certainly hope not: But here's a tweet from Patrick Reusse, the Star Tribune columnist: "Aaron Johnston could be easy choice for Coyle as Whalen’s replacement. He’s been coaching So. Dakota State since 1999, he’s still only 48 & developed Jacks into mid-major power. MN boy (Pine Island), extended family here & has recruited state hard (as border school must)."
    I’m losing track of how many times a Star Tribune reporter has tweeted this. Certainly it’s what they said a few years ago when Whalen was selected and the time before that and probably the time before that. Glad AJ continues to see the grass is greener here.

Leave a comment:

• Jacked_Up
    replied
    I don't think Coach AJ is going anywhere, either. I certainly hope not: But here's a tweet from Patrick Reusse, the Star Tribune columnist: "Aaron Johnston could be easy choice for Coyle as Whalen’s replacement. He’s been coaching So. Dakota State since 1999, he’s still only 48 & developed Jacks into mid-major power. MN boy (Pine Island), extended family here & has recruited state hard (as border school must)."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X