GDT: SDSU vs Omaha 7pm Baxter Arena/ omav.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: SDSU vs Omaha 7pm Baxter Arena/ omav.com

This week begins the halfway turn for conference play as the Jackrabbit WBB ends the halfway on the road. The Mavs are 6-1 in Baxter this year with 9-9 overall. The only loss is Creighton. Mavs were a 10th place choice preseason and currently they are tied with UND & USD for 3rd. Coach Banks could lead this team to equal the wins in the first 2 seasons of 14 wins combined. Pilakouta is a grad student now and she is playing 31 minutes in conference games. She is scoring 14.6 & rebounding 6.4 in conference. FGCU transfer guard Stanley is leading the scoring for the Mavs in the Summit with 16.9 points & 4.6 boards. Cave is leading assists with 3.7 and adding 5.7 boards. There has been 3 bench players who average 10-28 minutes/game. The starters have been close to or above 30 minutes/game. If the Jackrabbits are able to run in transition,, Pilakouta may play less than average which would be good since she is powerful in the post on both ends. The Mavs have been averaging about 18 3pt shots per game at 36.5% rate. Pilakouta 6'3" and her sub Gardner 6'2" are the 2 6'+ players that normally play which may allow paint points to add for the Jackrabbits. It would be great to see the Jackrabbits get close to the 30 first quarter start again. Go Jacks!!
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

The Summit League has highlight on the Mavs.
    https://thesummitleague.org/news/202...icks-rise.aspx
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Theme of the game for us so far: turnovers and missed free throws. Looking more like we played in December than we did the last few weeks.

Comment

Ugly half. Omaha playing with more energy than us. Gave up a lot of rebounds and missed a lot under the basket. Selland needs to get going and we also need to get more stops.

Comment

Slightly better second half but still not a great performance overall. Brooklyn Meyer was our best player in the second half. Still not sure why we can’t play better on the road. We have too much experience and talent for this. Hoping Saturday goes better.

Comment

Jacks need to play better for 40 minutes on the road, but it's not easy to win anywhere on the road. NDSU went into Tulsa and got their doors blown off by ORU.

Comment

A wins a win. Would have liked to have won by a little more of a margin though. Getting that 15 point lead and making it stand up was crucial. Just enough when we had a mediocre shooting night, we got some big rebounds late. Get one more and go home satisfied and content with another road trip challenge met.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                A wins a win. Would have liked to have won by a little more of a margin though. Getting that 15 point lead and making it stand up was crucial. Just enough when we had a mediocre shooting night, we got some big rebounds late. Get one more and go home satisfied and content with another road trip challenge met.
                well at least any win on the road is a win)))

the jacks did plenty of good things tonight
                we won the rebound battle against a team that is bigger than we are on the inside
                and we had only 8 TOs

both of our teams are shooting so much better at home right now
                the FTs are a bit of a concern. definitely will not help us to beat ncaa tourney teams if we miss half our FT

it is mostly the posts struggling but they get fouled the most too
                but also throw in one of the guards seems to have the random bad night at the line, ala Tori 0 for 2 tonight

i really am shocked that a coaching staff i think as talented as ours that Brooklyn is still struggling to this degree. and she is still shooting from an incredibly unathletic base with her knees completely locked. they would be better off if she took the ball at the top of the arch right now and dribbled into a jump shot from the line. they gotta get her in a more athletic position to begin her shot. i basically guarantee if they get her to bend her knees she is shooting at least 65% in a month. not great still, but it is great compared to 48%
                that said i cannot wait to see how she figures things out going forward. i still think she is gonna be a monster and i bet she gets the FT thing figured out eventually (i am talking next year and beyond. after she has a little more time to get used to not being able to just physically dominate everyone like she often did in HS. look how much her should be teammate improved from year 1 to year 2 at UNL)

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

we won the rebound battle against a team that is bigger than we are on the inside
                  and we had only 8 TOs

the FTs are a bit of a concern. definitely will not help us to beat ncaa tourney teams if we miss half our FT

but also throw in one of the guards seems to have the random bad night at the line, ala Tori 0 for 2 tonight

i really am shocked that a coaching staff i think as talented as ours that Brooklyn is still struggling to this degree. and she is still shooting from an incredibly unathletic base with her knees completely locked. they would be better off if she took the ball at the top of the arch right now and dribbled into a jump shot from the line. they gotta get her in a more athletic position to begin her shot. i basically guarantee if they get her to bend her knees she is shooting at least 65% in a month. not great still, but it is great compared to 48%
                  that said i cannot wait to see how she figures things out going forward. i still think she is gonna be a monster and i bet she gets the FT thing figured out eventually (i am talking next year and beyond. after she has a little more time to get used to not being able to just physically dominate everyone like she often did in HS. look how much her should be teammate improved from year 1 to year 2 at UNL)
                  I fully expect they will get her FT% to come around. Kallie Theisen is now a "decent" free throw shooter, heck, she is a all-star free throw shooter compared to when she started here! I still cringe thinking about her shooting them in her younger days!

Comment

A conference road win, is a conference road win. Tough to do consistently.

Comment

People are saying the Conference is much improved, I seem to agree, every road game is tough it seems, some "upsets" occurring, ND, NDSU both losing yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

and we had only 8 TOs

I like how Brooklyn blocks a shot, they literally feel her power extending through the basketball. One might say she blocks with authority, ha! She'll settle in to playing against bigger opposition and then watch out. She is much more mobile, yet has great strength and has great dexterity. I have faith in her figuring it all out before seasons end, she's still learning the ropes.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                          People are saying the Conference is much improved, I seem to agree, every road game is tough it seems, some "upsets" occurring, ND, NDSU both losing yesterday.
                          I disagree. We are head and shoulders above the rest of the conference. We need to consistently show it. There is no team in this conference that can beat us but we could lose to someone. There is a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post

I disagree. We are head and shoulders above the rest of the conference. We need to consistently show it. There is no team in this conference that can beat us but we could lose to someone. There is a difference.
                            I see your point, and you are quite correct. It's in their hands and I have confidence that they will rise to the occasion every game going forward because they can. I'm confident we will come out on top every time when they play to their potential. We've witnessed that many times already.

Comment

Working...
                            X