Final NET Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final NET Rankings

The post championship game NET rankings have the Jacks at 30, with USD at 26. And Charlie Creme's too early top 25 pre-season rankings for next season have the Jacks as one of three teams just out of the top 25.

Charlie Creme must not watch teams actually play, nor realize that SoS (strength-of-schedule) is important. His Way Too Early Top 25 is curious, at best, at the 18-to-23 spots.

#18 Oregon lost four to the transfer portal. Players vote with their feet...
    #19 Utah lost 3 proven players to the transfer portal, including Dru Gylten of Rapid City.
    #20 Nebraska played a very weak non-conference slate then lost promptly in the NCAA. Two transfers.
    #21 Kansas went 11-7 versus conference teams then lost second game in the NCAA.
    #23 Princeton had a single NCAA win; who do they play?

Check the NET rankings and the Massey rankings following the Thanksgiving festivals this fall. SDSU plays (at Nassau, Bahamas) three teams from the following: Tennessee (#8), Texas (#4), Louisville (#14), UCLA (#22), Rutgers, Marquette, & Gonzaga.

((BTW, Minnesota, & Oral Roberts both have seven in the transfer portal))

Comment

Did the point guard who was FOY two seasons ago for ORU leave already? did she ever play last season? Any reason we would not look like a really good option for this years FOY? did i hear correctly, they fired the coach?

i really did like her, and i wonder how realistic the chances they can be a lot better than they are. but nobody can say she has not had her chances so cannot blame the school for wanting to see what somebody else can do.

UNL, i was really hoping that they were better and that the OOC record was not a fluke. but i watched most of their NCAA game with Gonzaga. i feel like we would have more than held our own with them at the end of the year. maybe Amy should just ask about her chances of returning to her former job, and i completely understand that is not happening!! and i dont feel like their fan base would be happy about it

Comment

ORU checks in at the end of the season with NET 201. Coach Cussen checked in with about .500 record. She was a loyal 26 year employee of ORU who could not get her own recruits to perform at Jerry Finkbeiner levels. The Moore twins who are still on the roster would be a starting foundation for the team. Cussen is a great role model for her women, but she does not have the edge to elevate her players and keep them in the program.
        The problem with more of the Summit is the remaining NDSU at 204, UND at 221, WIU at 235, Omaha at 249, Denver at 278, & St Thomas at 315. WBB in the Summit needs to elevate as their is plenty of room to move ahead.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Summit League WBB coaching changes are worrisome: HC's at UMKC & USD left for $$$'s, and ORU HC was terminated. Is it not a weaker league as a result?

Frankly, not all 356 teams in D-1 WBB are making a sincere effort to improve their women's program; and, you can easily see which Summit teams are serious.

SDSU does not become much better in 2022-23 conference games. Would going to 14 conference games allow OOC scheduling into February?

Any D-1 re-alignments on the horizon? How about a WBB-only configuration of 8 teams ( e.g., Drake, Northern Iowa, Missouri Southern, USD, Colo State)?

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
            Summit League WBB coaching changes are worrisome: HC's at UMKC & USD left for $$$'s, and ORU HC was terminated. Is it not a weaker league as a result?

Frankly, not all 356 teams in D-1 WBB are making a sincere effort to improve their women's program; and, you can easily see which Summit teams are serious.

SDSU does not become much better in 2022-23 conference games. Would going to 14 conference games allow OOC scheduling into February?

Any D-1 re-alignments on the horizon? How about a WBB-only configuration of 8 teams ( e.g., Drake, Northern Iowa, Missouri Southern, USD, Colo State)?
            Going to less than a double round-robin conference schedule would open up a big can of worms . I can hear it now - "Why do we have to play SDSU and USD twice, and fill-in-the-blank only has to play them once ?" Almost impossible to end up with a legitimate regular season champion.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Going to less than a double round-robin conference schedule would open up a big can of worms . I can hear it now - "Why do we have to play SDSU and USD twice, and fill-in-the-blank only has to play them once ?" Almost impossible to end up with a legitimate regular season champion.
              we have to deal with that in football. play NDSU and UNI every year but dont get ISU-B or Western.....
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

we have to deal with that in football. play NDSU and UNI every year but dont get ISU-B or Western.....
                Football and basketball can not be compared. Totally different critters.

Comment

I said prior to the UCLA game that that game was the defacto national championship game. The other half of the bracket looked weak to me, and looking at NET it sure seems that was the case. Here is the top 4 from each half of the bracket:

Our Half
                  30 SDSU
                  41 UCLA
                  50 Oregon State
                  53 Alabama

Seton Hall Half
                  87 Seton Hall
                  57 Middle Tennessee St.
                  63 Toledo
                  104 Columbia

So for all the talk about it being unfair that we got to host all 6 rounds, the simple fact is we had a much tougher road to the finals than Seton Hall. Four of the 5 best teams in the tourney based off final NET were on our half of the bracket. In fact 4 of the top 7 were in our quarter of the bracket (54 UNI, 56 Missouri). So it could be said that SH was the 2nd to worst team we played based off NET, and the game score indicates this was likely correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post

Football and basketball can not be compared. Totally different critters.
                    An unbalanced schedule where one school plays an easier school compared to another, is comparable. ACC plays annunbalanced schedule. They make it work. Im not a huge fan of the idea either way.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

An unbalanced schedule where one school plays an easier school compared to another, is comparable. ACC plays annunbalanced schedule. They make it work. Im not a huge fan of the idea either way.
                      In football if your top half of the conference you make the playoffs . Not so much in basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post

I am trying to figure out all of this.

USD has went through several coaching changes and been fine. Will they make another great hire???
                        I do not think UMKC's coach really proved she deserved that promotion but good for her. (USD will be down some this year,, too,) so Dawn had to lave while the iron was hot.
                        Who will ORU hire? Will they be better with their new coach?
                        I do NOT see all three of these changes as making the Summit League worse. I could be wrong though.

I might need you to help me with what Summit League teams are serious. NDSU, Denver and UND made changes to try to make their teams better, JD has normally been solid but should he be replaced? USD and UMKC's coaches moved up when they could make money. Saint Thomas was a DII team, what do you do there? That leaves Omaha and Denver.
                        It might not be that cut and dry but with 5 coaching changes in the last 3 years, If AJ left (I know- it's a sin to bring that up), how long would you give SDSU's new coach before they should get fired?
                        They might be bad at hiring new coaches but they are trying.

Most teams are in conference play in January. Will to be easy to fill in that schedule. There are already some Power 5 teams that will not come to SDSU. Will you get home and homes if you are scheduling teams during theiir conference schedules? How about just away games? That does not work in football. They schedule patsies because they want home games.

Notre Dame football is one of, if not the only team that I know that can ditch their conference for one sport. They have a million $ contract to do that. Will conferences just go away so teams can pick and choose who they want in their conference (for that sport) that year?

Comment

The Summit Conference in Womens Basketball has lost alot of talent since end of the season with just proven players. The Conference has these players in transfer portal or they have made a commitment to another team. Denver has lost Boyd and Ezeudu; KC has lost Alnatas, Bradley, and Williams( fr. guard that was hurt) and two other plus a coach; South Dakota Krull and Watson and a coach: Omaha Piler and 4 others; NDSU Cobbins, Deaton, and Hopkins and two others; UND Lane and two others; ORU loss of 7 players and coach; WIU has lost 2 players; and ST. one player. The big names listed has weakened the conference and will not be easily replaced.

The conference looked weak this past year but now looking at how you and South Dakota performed in the two big women's tournament number of the teams from the conference would have competed quite well against number teams you faced in the tournament. What i am saying we could have been competitive with number of these schools and had even chance of beating them. I believe there is to much credence put on the early games in the season when teams are developing. I don't know how you measure this development when teams are playing conference only schedules it becomes hard to know how far schools or conferences have come in the season. Maybe they need to start scheduling conference games early and then in cross over when they are going to start playing second half conference schedule there should be period of time when teams play out of conference schedule then go back to finish their conference schedule. I would think it would make for some very interesting games and scheduling for college basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by ND-fan View Post
                            The Summit Conference in Womens Basketball has lost alot of talent since end of the season with just proven players. The Conference has these players in transfer portal or they have made a commitment to another team. Denver has lost Boyd and Ezeudu; KC has lost Alnatas, Bradley, and Williams( fr. guard that was hurt) and two other plus a coach; South Dakota Krull and Watson and a coach: Omaha Piler and 4 others; NDSU Cobbins, Deaton, and Hopkins and two others; UND Lane and two others; ORU loss of 7 players and coach; WIU has lost 2 players; and ST. one player. The big names listed has weakened the conference and will not be easily replaced.

The conference looked weak this past year but now looking at how you and South Dakota performed in the two big women's tournament number of the teams from the conference would have competed quite well against number teams you faced in the tournament. What i am saying we could have been competitive with number of these schools and had even chance of beating them. I believe there is to much credence put on the early games in the season when teams are developing. I don't know how you measure this development when teams are playing conference only schedules it becomes hard to know how far schools or conferences have come in the season. Maybe they need to start scheduling conference games early and then in cross over when they are going to start playing second half conference schedule there should be period of time when teams play out of conference schedule then go back to finish their conference schedule. I would think it would make for some very interesting games and scheduling for college basketball.
                            The schools that lose their best players are experiencing a one step forward and two steps back situation, that scenario can not be sustained if they have any vision to elevate the program. The only way to stop the drain is to win, so the players want to stay. No program can keep losing their best proven players and get better. I really feel for these teams as they try to get better but find the task daunting to say the least. Best of luck going forward for them, we need the Summit to be strong. New coaches need something to work with, this losing the best players on the team really makes their jobs all the harder.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post

The schools that lose their best players are experiencing a one step forward and two steps back situation, that scenario can not be sustained if they have any vision to elevate the program. The only way to stop the drain is to win, so the players want to stay. No program can keep losing their best proven players and get better. I really feel for these teams as they try to get better but find the task daunting to say the least. Best of luck going forward for them, we need the Summit to be strong. New coaches need something to work with, this losing the best players on the team really makes their jobs all the harder.
                              Not so fast when analyzing why future "best/proven players" would depart. Not just winning, is it?

The men's side appears headed towards pay-for-play, all in the name of NIL. Players ( & transfer candidates } can get "endorsement deals" for big $$$'s from donors/businesses/booster groups. 6+ figures is cited for Paige Bueckers. Baylor Scheiermann is getting a package from Creighton, no?

Myah Selland could have entered the transfer portal, signing with a needy P5 roster, which had a creative NIL (read: reward) backer, all legal.

​​​​​​Will the NIL bidding hurt SDSU WBB over the next decade, maybe sooner?

UPDATE: 5/12/22 NCAA ISSUES NEW NIL DIRECTIVE

​​​​​​https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ement-boosters
                              Last edited by GrandpaLee; 05-12-2022, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X