No announcement yet.

Summit game of the week-Jackrabbits vs yotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usd defensr in the past reaches for a lot of steals and knock the ball away. Most teams would get called for it but they make contact and dont get called often. Atleast has been the case in past years i have watched.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Usd defensr in the past reaches for a lot of steals and knock the ball away. Most teams would get called for it but they make contact and dont get called often. Atleast has been the case in past years i have watched.
      I could not agree with you more goon!! i think there are several factors involved

Most of this i believe goes to the coaching style/ philosophy/ beliefs of DP. obviously a successful coach!!! but she has several pieces of her coaching philosophy that i really wish those with authority would try to eliminate from the game

i have not heard this specifically from DP or any of their players, but it does not seem possible to be accidental. I have known coaches and i have been at coaching seminars and clinics where it is taught, so it is an absolute fact that there are coaches who TEACH their players to play defense as physically as possible. they teach bumping and using your hands as much as you can possibly get away with. they teach that if you do it constantly the officials CAN NOT and or WILL NOT possibly call everything

again i have not heard it directly, but i have watched a lot of usd WBB since DP has been the coach and i have very very very VERY little doubt that this is her philosophy or something incredibly close to it. by contrast, coaches hendo, AJ, and nagy all teach their players to be active and aggressive defensively but to do it without fouling. all of them LOATHE putting the other team on the FT line. they teach using your body to cut off the drive and to deny post position but do it by moving your feet, beating players to the spot, and keeping your hands OFF. i have heard all of them explain that philosophy and i have seen nagy and aj teach it in practice. havent been to a hendo practice

the other piece of her philosophy is that she begins working the officials the second she steps off the bus. watch on saturday and notice the contrast between her and AJ. AJ gets fired up occasionally. DP argues every single call that does not go in the favor of her team and she seems mortally wounded many times a game because the official would dare to disagree with her

she will argue EVERY single block/ charge call that goes against her team. without question 99% of those calls that have gone against her team in her career she has disagreed with. i wonder if she can ever even admit watching on film. i cannot say if she actually believes that her arguments are true OR is she simply working the officials so that they will be less likely to call the next one or automatically call it in her favor????

she will argue every reach call for and against. every over the back. etc..... she wants every call and i guess she thinks that is a VERY important part of her job. she believes she is supposed to do everything in her power to give her team an advantage.

finally, they do get some calls because THEY ARE a very good team. that should NOT be a factor when they play us because obviously it is a contest between TWO excellent teams and programs. but no doubt they get some reputation calls. more with some officials and against some teams, but it happens a bit even against us

i would say that the KC MBB coach has a very similar philosophy about physical play. i have not watched him enough to say anything about how he behaves regarding the officials, but his teams seem to want to have a hand on every offensive player on the ball half of the floor at all times. i HIGHLY doubt that is accidental. like i said i have been at clinics where this philosophy is taught. it does exist

just so some do not think this is simply my dislike of usd and that i would think this about ANY usd coach. Dave Boots is one of my favorite and most respected coaches of all time. i HATED it that he was at usd!!! but he was an incredible coach and a very very good man.

Comment

Nothings harder on a team than when the refs don't call the fouls on a foul-happy team. They are on you constantly hacking your arms, hands, bumping, pushing, shoving, then to top it off, you get called for the turnover they cause. Very frustrating, especially when you try the same things and you get called for a foul. That's why people say ref's should be consistent and if you call it on one team, you better call it on the other too. Don't want to make this game all about the refereeing, it is not. But it is a big part of the game if the game calling isn't the best, let's just hope that's not a factor, and most of the time it's not. The team that Puts the ball in the hoop the most is usually the determining factor here, just giving both sides the same chance is all people expect, nothing more, nothing less.

The most famous game in my mind that was a total hack-a- thon was that of Louisville playing and upsetting Baylor, who was supposed to just cruise into the Championship and win it all. Baylor featured 6' 8" Brittany Griner , the best post player at that time according to most people. At the very beginning it was very clear that Louisville was going to be very aggressive playing defense, and at first they were getting called a lot, but they didn't back off , I don't know if the refs quite calling fouls at such a high rate on them because they were concerned if they kept it up they'd foul out the entire team or if they just got used to them playing that physical and accepted it or what. But it worked, totally flustered the Baylor team , but surprisingly, no jacket was thrown by Kim Mulkey, I think she suspected they were waiting for that and she would surely get T'd up. Shoni Schimmel went right at Griner at one point in the game and did a very nice up and under double pump to get a layup and went right into Griners face, or chest I guess and taunted her, which I thought was very dangerous given her reputation for slugging a Texas A&M player for much less. Anyway, the strategy worked for Louisville that day at least. Didn't hurt everyone loves the underdog and was happily cheering the Cardinals along
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-06-2022, 04:34 AM.

Comment

The over/under is 8 for the number of times Sjerven goes to the ground.
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
            The over/under is 8 for the number of times Sjerven goes to the ground.
            Now that is funny right there!

Time for USD's Super Bowl 2.0!

Don't know much about Yotes other than when they've played Jacks. I consider watching Coyote Sports one of thee greatest wastes of time possible. Would rather work on my string ball!

The Jacks are headed the right direction. It has been a slow start with a tough schedule and without our best player. Myah is getting up to speed and we need her to be her POY self this weekend to get a W down in the World's Nicest Pie Shop! In addition, we need our other upper classmen to bring it. Tylee hasn't been her normal self so far. No better time than a rivalry game to change that. If we play well it will be a great game. If not, we could get beat soundly.

It should be a dog fight as per normal. For those making the trip, make sure your shots are up to date. Cheer loud!

Let's get a sweep and confirm that SD is a BLUE State!

SUPERBUNNY

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

Now that is funny right there!

Time for USD's Super Bowl 2.0!

Don't know much about Yotes other than when they've played Jacks. I consider watching Coyote Sports one of thee greatest wastes of time possible. Would rather work on my string ball!

The Jacks are headed the right direction. It has been a slow start with a tough schedule and without our best player. Myah is getting up to speed and we need her to be her POY self this weekend to get a W down in the World's Nicest Pie Shop! In addition, we need our other upper classmen to bring it. Tylee hasn't been her normal self so far. No better time than a rivalry game to change that. If we play well it will be a great game. If not, we could get beat soundly.

It should be a dog fight as per normal. For those making the trip, make sure your shots are up to date. Cheer loud!

Let's get a sweep and confirm that SD is a BLUE State!

SUPERBUNNY
              blue and yellow, the schools official colors. Don't forget the yellow!!!

Comment

Working...
              X