Summit game of the week-Jackrabbits vs yotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit game of the week-Jackrabbits vs yotes

Mirror scheduling did something better for this week as the WBB game is scheduled for 1pm at SCSC and the MBB game is scheduled for 6pm at Frost. The women's game has more impact as both teams are undefeated and tied for 1st place. The yotes have the "big 3" seniors Sjerven, Lamb, & Korngable. They have 41%fg & 30%3pt shooting as a team. They also are registering the best defense in Summit play holding teams under 30%. Sjerven has had foul troubles in 2 games against KC & NDSU which limited minutes. If there is a game where the yotes can stretch the lead, they will keep the foot on the gas. The Jackrabbits have been getting a better flow to the game as Selland has returned to the lineup and gaining a few more minutes on the floor. The Jackrabbits tightened up the passing game against UND with only 3 turnovers in the first half and 5 after 3 quarters before ending up with 12. The yotes are very confident as they had a successful OOC against tough competition. The SDSU staff will certainly have their hands full planning for the game in Vermillion.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

USD seems the same team this year as last year. They are 60% (the big 3) and 40% the rest of the team.

I think SDSU has much better odds if they can do one of two things.
    1) Get either Lamb or Sjerven in foul trouble. SDSU is deep in the post but Sjerven is good at drawing fouls and not getting called for them. Lamb is a tough guard. I would like putting Irwin on Korngable and see how that plays out.
    2) Meyer and Timmer outplay USD's new players. SDSU has seemed to improve with their new additions. Is USD a better team than last year? I do not know but the numbers look them same.
    This all revolves around Myah playing her A game.

USD will have three of the top five (or six) players on the floor but will SDSU's depth be able to offest USD's star ability?

Comment

Food for thought this week.
      https://www.facebook.com/GoJacksWBB/...1913663872304/
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
        I believe Meyer is 2nd in conference (and tied for 54th in the nation) behind 'Roos' Alnatas (a SR who has 66 assists in a couple fewer games). Very impressive for a FR

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
          USD seems the same team this year as last year. They are 60% (the big 3) and 40% the rest of the team.

I think SDSU has much better odds if they can do one of two things.
          1) Get either Lamb or Sjerven in foul trouble. SDSU is deep in the post but Sjerven is good at drawing fouls and not getting called for them. Lamb is a tough guard. I would like putting Irwin on Korngable and see how that plays out.
          2) Meyer and Timmer outplay USD's new players. SDSU has seemed to improve with their new additions. Is USD a better team than last year? I do not know but the numbers look them same.
          This all revolves around Myah playing her A game.

USD will have three of the top five (or six) players on the floor but will SDSU's depth be able to offest USD's star ability?
          My thoughts for this game are.

1. Eliminate stupid turnovers=bad/lazy passes
          2. I think Tylee has to guard Lamb and limit her as much as possible
          3. I don't know if Paiton has the size to guard Hannah, Kallie will need to be a stopper
          4. I think Paige can take it to Liv, use it

The rest is obviously just good overall play.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post

3. I don't know if Paiton has the size to guard Hannah, Kallie will need to be a stopper

Don't forget #5: Have a little luck.

Winning in Vermillion will take a few fortunate bounces of the ball or an off night of shooting by Korngable or Lamb. I don't think Myah is full speed yet, so a few things are definitely going to have to go right in other areas. The good thing is that AJ gets two chances to experiment with ways to work against this USD team before Sioux Falls and new players like Meyer and Timmer will get some time to settle in to the rivalry game intensity. Maybe we grab a win or two along the way.

I do look forward to their guards having to expend more energy that in past years keeping up with a quick, aggressive point guard in Meyer. She seems to be especially effective driving off the dribble in the second half (perhaps when the defenders are tired). Hopefully we can keep it close the first 20:00 so that this is an issue.

Comment

2018-19 game at Vermillion had the women playing first in a doubleheader. Jackrabbits had 5 players foul out in the 2OT 105-98 loss. Yotes had 2 Arens sisters foul out. We need all players available at the end of the game. It was a close game in Vermillion unlike the last time SDSU played there. 4 current Jackrabbit players were in that game. The 2nd game of the doubleheader saw at least half of the 6000 attendance exit before tip off.

Comment

Massey rankings show the point-differential versus the same four conference opponents:

#43-USD 76.8 - avg pts opp 50.0 - avg pts 26.8 difference
                #58-SDSU 76.3 - avg pts opp 60.8 - avg pts 16.8 difference

Is there a prediction lurking in this data? Any SDSU lapses on defense may tilt the result.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
                  Massey rankings show the point-differential versus the same four conference opponents:

Is there a prediction lurking in this data? Any SDSU lapses on defense may tilt the result.
                  This brings up a good question.
                  Will SDSU shorten their bench (at all) in a game like this or will the be able to wear them down?
                  I'm guessing that USD will go about 7 deep until the last 5 minutes (or so) unless somebody spells somebody for a minute or two, here and there.

Sjerven was in foul trouble (plus they did not need her) in two of these games. She only played 28, 18, 23 and 13 minutes. Lamb (32, 38, 30 and 35) and Korngable (26, 37, 26 and 30) played a lot of minutes.

Tori Nelson did play 34 minutes against NDSU, Irwin played 31 minutes against UND, KC had Irwin (31) and Meyer (30) and SDSU did not have a player play 30 minutes (or more) against ORU.

I know that Lamb is in great shape and AJ's deeper bench might not mean anything but you never know. There is only one game and it is a big game so I don't think being tired will factor in but can fresh legs draw a lazy foul or two?

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post

1) Agree completely. Some times the team seems too laid back.
                    2) That is why I was hoping that Lamb would get into foul trouble. That way you don't have to make Tylee guard Lamb and Liv is not the players Lamb is.
                    3) I see a rotation that will have a lot of Kallie, some Paiton and a little Mesa sprinkled in there. If you can keep Hannah under 23 minutes played, that would be a good sign.
                    4) I hope Paige can do that and stay on the floor. SDSU needs to keep her on the floor. I think she can match up with Liv but Liv does like driving so don't get any cheap fouls.

I am excited for this game to see what changes the team have made since last year.

Comment

2) That is why I was hoping that Lamb would get into foul trouble. That way you don't have to make Tylee guard Lamb and Liv is not the players Lamb is.
                      3) I see a rotation that will have a lot of Kallie, some Paiton and a little Mesa sprinkled in there. If you can keep Hannah under 23 minutes played, that would be a good sign.
                      4) I hope Paige can do that and stay on the floor. SDSU needs to keep her on the floor. I think she can match up with Liv but Liv does like driving so don't get any cheap fouls.

I am excited for this game to see what changes the team have made since last year.
                      You are right with Mesa. I kinda forgot about her. There was a OOC game this year where she came in and really "dominated" so to speak. I can't remember the game but yes, she is a able body!

Comment

I would add…..5). Get off to a fast start. This would quickly boost out team confidence, and put some doubt and pressure on the Yotes. Remember, we beat them twice last year so the pressure of playing at home and being expected to win is clearly on them.

Comment

It'll be a good one. USD is certainly more than capable of winning. Jackrabbits just need to play well, no need to "pack in the towels" if we lose this game, just learn and improve.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post

They aren't necessarily better offensively, but played tougher on defense is what it points to for me. It might mean something, then again it could mean nothing, I'll wait and see. We don't have that rim protector like USD has in Sjerven, we rely on foot speed, positioning, and teamwork, that works too, but someone camping around the bucket that can alter, block any shot by anyone on the other team is a big advantage for the other 4 to play more aggressive defense, be more bothersome, which causes more chances for steals or turnovers. I'm sure AJ and staff have a good game plan to address these issues and more.

We handled teams with tall post players many times before, Vickey McIntyre for ORU comes to mind, as well as Baylor in the tournament we participated in Las Vegas (2018-19), the year they won the Nt'L Title. We played them about as good as anyone in that game. They had two over 6'4 I believe. We also beat NC State I think a season before they started to make waves in the top 25 polls. Guessing about 3- 4 years ago? It was 4 years ago, 2017-18. They were a big team, two players at 6' 5".
                            Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-06-2022, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                              It'll be a good one. USD is certainly more than capable of winning. Jackrabbits just need to play well, no need to "pack in the towels" if we lose this game, just learn and improve.
                              Agree, that's the attitude one needs to play loose, but under control. Play intense, but not so much that you're forcing things that just aren't going to happen. No matter what, it's always a good game , two of arguably the two best teams in the Summit playing each other, what more can you ask for.

Comment

Working...
                              X