Coach Jewett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Jewett

Head Assistant Coach Mike Jewett has accepted the AD position at Brookings High School. SDSU will be looking for an assistant.

Huge loss for the team, but great hire for Brookings High School. Coaching staff is beginning to look a bit bare. Hopefully they find some great hires soon. Hoping for Megan Vogel but won't hold my breath. She obviously likes Green Bay and should be on head coaching job shortlists. Honestly surprised she hasn't taken a head coaching job somewhere. Could only get her if she's made Associate Head Coach and set her up for the SDSU Head Coach job if it ever opens up.
    Rollin' in my 5.0
    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Good for Mike and Family...Vogel would be a great get but with AJ building a new house doubtful he's going anywhere. Basically has tenure here.

Comment

Very happy for Mike, he's a great guy.

AJ has actually gone through a number of assistants over the years.

Emily Thiesse left to be a HC, Katie Falco left to be a HC, this year Rotert left to be a HC. Travis Brewster was an Assistant for 1 year, and then went back to UND and became the HC for a while.

Laurie Melum was his right hand man (woman) before she and AJ got married.

Carissa Thielbar left once (I think after her GA time), and came back.

I have confidence he will get some good people in there.

But yes, a couple of spots to fill, for sure.

Comment

Obviously coach Jewett thinks that the new job will make him happy or be better for him and his family in some way or he would not have pursued it. he is a super good guy and i hope the new job will be everything that he hopes and more!!

i wonder if there was any knowledge of this possibility when rotert and macy left? you would think they would have obviously both had an excellent opportunity to move up the ladder, it they had any interest in that.

have doubts that kristin would have been moved into coach J spot, but it is very possible that coach thielbar could move into that spot, with the other coaches moving up accordingly.

gotta beleive that there will be MORE than plenty of interest in coaching hoops/ womens hoops at SDSU. they should have LOTS of options and more than a few excellent options!! that said if they do not have someone that they see as at least equal to coach J if not an upgrade, i would think coach thielbar would get serious consideration for the position. and if she wants to stay with the program long enough she seems like a very valid candidate to replace AJ some day, but seemingly and HOPEFULLY not too soon

that said, if you look far enough down the road and sorta dream up the ideal situation, gotta think it would be awesome someday to replace AJ with a SD kid who played for him, ala.... rotert or miller

OF COURSE they would have to have other qualification beyond SD kid and played at SDSU under AJ
          by the time AJ decide to hang up his whistle, i really think that SDSU will be a nearly perennial threat to make the sweet 16 and beyond, possibly a top 20 or better team more often than not. you would think there would be some very big time opportunities to be next HC
          but it would be very cool if somebody like one of those 2 or others were ready to step into that spot

Comment

The associate coach position should be filled with someone who will bolster the idea of filling the role of HC from within, as opposed to having to hire from a National search list, although done right, can also produce very good candidates, maybe an exceptional one. I don't know enough that I would have opinions on who that might be and if we don't already have that, just saying as a general prelude to the idea. I wish coach Jewett well in his new pursuit, I really enjoyed his time spent here as Associate Coach. He's still close and a part of the Community , like that.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
              Huge loss for the team, but great hire for Brookings High School. Coaching staff is beginning to look a bit bare. Hopefully they find some great hires soon. Hoping for Megan Vogel but won't hold my breath. She obviously likes Green Bay and should be on head coaching job shortlists. Honestly surprised she hasn't taken a head coaching job somewhere. Could only get her if she's made Associate Head Coach and set her up for the SDSU Head Coach job if it ever opens up.
              If you look at the job responsibilities in Megan Vogel's bio on the GB website, they are almost identical to those in Jewett's bio. It appears that GB doesn't have an associate head coach position. There is one other assistant that has a few years more there than Megan does. Borseth has to be close to retirement as he graduated from college in 1976, which puts him right at 65. So Vogel may not be looking to move, but she would be a very good get if interested.

Comment

Working...
              X