recruiting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recruiting...

not sure if sdsu offered or had interest, however...

hannah ronsiek has committed to Colorado State

Ronsiek was offered by SDSU last June.

Comment

i have said it before. some people make these decisions based on things other than what it seems makes sense. this one feels pretty baffling!

i guess we could certainly speculate reasons for choosing CSU- nice scenery, want to go to school in the mountains, "MAYBE" they have some very specific major she could only get there in her mind......??

but for quality experience, quality staff, and basketball reasons this is a NO BRAINER. the jacks would beat CSU at least 8 out of 10 on a neutral floor, 9.5 out of 10 in frost, and probably almost 7 of 10 at CSU.

and i hate to see any kid have to go to school in vermillion and bunch of other stuff about usd that is brutal. but for WBB they have to compare pretty favorable to CSU also. maybe down the road there is a little drop off for usd?? who knows what the replacements for sjervin and company will be. but the track record says you cannot bet too heavily against them.

anyway, wish her and all the SD kids the very best NO MATTER where they go (except usd) and she can DEFINITELY have reasons for her choice and she has a right to her choice, OBVIOUSLY!!!! someone previously and astutely pointed out that her sister may have made her decision based on desire to continue the church school experience. definitely NOT the case at CSU

my point is that there are ZERO good basketball reasons for choosing this school over SDSU

Comment

Did Creighton offer? I'd think if they did she'd go join her sister there. She probably had her reasons, can't get them all ,I think the coaching staff plans for that, hope she's successful at CSU.

Comment

and, swedlund headed to Kansas. i was wrong but thought she would choose one of the sd school's

Comment

I’m not surprised either are going out of state although SDSU/USD are better than both of those programs.

Comment

Originally posted by rimmer View Post
              and, swedlund headed to Kansas. i was wrong but thought she would choose one of the sd school's
              Did she have an offer from either SD school? I never saw that announced.

Comment

just a guess but get the feeling these fall in to the category of "just want a different experience" away from sd.

Comment

YES the whole "just want a different experience" thing is definitely a thing!

and i absolutely do NOT hold anything against them for making their OWN choice. they have EVERY right!!!! and i wish them the very best!! and it only does SD good to have SD kids go to any of these schools and succeed.

all of that said, i have had LOTS of former players go to play college sports and there is NO WAY around the fact that to be successful as a person and student and athlete who plays college sports, let alone D1 sports it takes a LOT of work!!! it is easily a full time job!! because of that i always told my kids TRY to go to a school where you are going to be able to win as much as possible!!!!

of course i wanted them to go to schools that care about them as people
                  and expect them to go to class and get an education
                  and challenge them to be the best athlete they can be

with those criteria met, winning should be a very high priority. because if you are really a competitor LOSING SUCKS!!!!! and why or WHY would you choose to do so much work at a place where you know chances are good that you are going to lose a lot of games and have a poorer chance to go the tournament?

they are definitely welcome to make their choices but in my admittedly imperfect brain, it is really a struggle if "having a DIFFERENT experience" was higher on the list of priorities than winning????

the other bit of info we do not have is HOW HIGH on the priority list these players were for the jacks?? the jacks do a pretty excellent job of recruiting i think so perhaps they were pushing harder for other girls in these classes or this class. it is NOT possible to have every player you are interested in, on the roster. priorities have to be set

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

Did she have an offer from either SD school? I never saw that announced.
                    No - neither USD or SDSU had offered her. It will be interesting how this plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

No - neither USD or SDSU had offered her. It will be interesting how this plays out.
                      Anyone know why she didn't get an offer from either? Seems her name has been thrown around for years as a potential high-major talent yet the two premier schools in her home state don't even offer her.

I did read something that seemed to insinuate her goal was beyond SDSU/USD so it's possible maybe they didn't think the effort was worth it.

Comment

Swedlund was asked last summer if SDSU offered would she commit? The answer was I want to go through the whole process but they are for sure in the running. They never called again. She would have committed as a freshman (was on campus 3-5 times with coaches since 7th grade) but slow playing her cost them a really good one. That is all a fact. Plus in my conversations some former players were asked by her how it was and it was not a positive glow. I know you all wont believe that, but that is also fact. USD was full of guards in 2021 and looking at 4-5 position players in 2022. They had let her know that.

SDSU is bringing in four out of state 2022. Hence as an alum I pulled all donations. 25% of the roster is SD kids. Enough is Enough. They have forgotten about the SD kids. They also have a huge reputation of believing SD kids owe it to SDSU. Yes they asked Bella Swedlund with 20 offers to walk-on possibly. That is really working its way around with recruits as I have been told that by recruits and other coaches. I cant speak about Ronsiek but I know there is some mutual things there also. It is becoming a lead balloon.

I was a big SDSU guy, but saying SDSU is better than Kansas or Col St is shortsided. Winning- yeah probably. Experience-Lawrence and Ft Collins hands down over Brookings. Education- Kansas is an AAU school and one of 80 some in the USA- Facilities- SDSU is nice but no where near Kansas and maybe Col st. (been inside the heart of both) Equipment-Kansas is the largest Adidas school in the nation. Tv rights- big 12 tv or midco?

So when I see people bashing kids on where they chose, they should look inside themselves. Have you ever been recruited? Have one of your kids? What goes into it? SDSU is under the belief that SD kids love to play there. Fans act it all the time. That is slowly slipping away. Will some yes, but not all believe the hype. I get to talk to loads of recruits and Im telling you that is being used against them-a lot. "If they think you owe them now just wait when you have to keep proving it on the floor over out of state kids." The thumb on them tactic. (Megan Bultsma all of a sudden became a very good player her last year?)

This I do know-a very high level coach at the big ten level feels Bella Swedlund is a WNBA draft pick. They were full at her position. They have placed many at that pro level. They feel her game is the next Kelsey Plum. I also know many others who felt the same, but the covid year really messed up scholarship spots. I also know numerous schools who did not offer because they were holding a spot for an instate kid. Numerous ones to be exact. That is not happening here. Yes, I do know the family and yes I have much more stories on this, but I'm not going share them here. Everyone should enjoy Swedlund, Ronsiek and Mwentenanda as they all three are going be really good college players- and oh yes they are from SD.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

She will be a star. Have you ever met her? Kids a basketball IQ junkie. See below as Ill be shocked she doesnt play professional. Her and Ndjackalenga are both going to someday.

Comment

Originally posted by rushmore bball View Post

She will be a star. Have you ever met her? Kids a basketball IQ junkie. See below as Ill be shocked she doesnt play professional. Her and Ndjackalenga are both going to someday.
                            I have not met her. I've just heard a lot of chatter from people in the know who would disagree on a lot of the points you make above. Recruiting is not a science so I hope that Bella will go on to have a great career at KU and SDSU will continue to sustain their success.

Comment

I get it - Kansas facilities are absolutely world class. Their team though... woof. Their record is 43-85 over the last five years, including 8-65 (!) in Big 12 games. They've made the NCAA tournament twice in the last two decades. NDSU beat them last year. It's odd a likely WNBA draft pick would choose THE Big 12 bottom dweller over so many other legit P6 teams that probably would have made room for such talent.

Comment

Working...
                              X