GDT: Jackrabbits #9 vs Orange #8 @ Frank Erwin Center 4:30pm ESPN2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Jackrabbits #9 vs Orange #8 @ Frank Erwin Center 4:30pm ESPN2

This rematch of the most recent NCAA Tournament will certainly find much different teams. The Orange average almost 7 blocks per game which would seem to be a given today with the freshman 6'7" post lurking in the paint. Cardoso has 58 blocks in 22 games and she is the 2nd leading scorer with 13.7 points shooting 58%. She will also find 3.5 offensive rebounds to go with 4.8 defensive boards. Redshirt senior Lewis leads scorers with 14.3 and 3 assists per game. 5th year senior Mangakahia leads the assists with 7.5 in her 18 games this year. She also tosses in 11.6 points. 6'1" junior Engstler rounds out the double digit scorers with 10.1 points and 9.1 boards per game. This international squad brings a roster with 8 players above the 6' mark. There is a good chance the Jackrabbits will need to have rapid ball movement and some transition buckets to keep the Orange on edge. The arc shooting will need to be ready for the open shots to stretch the size of Syracuse. Both teams average 70+ points per game and allow 10 fewer on defense. Defense could still be the tip for the winner. It would be a great spring day for the Jackrabbits to go 2-0 in this series. Go Jacks!!
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

An interview yesterday indicates starter Priscilla Williams will not play. She is 6'2" Fr starting guard that will not play this year in tournament. That is a reduction to 7 players in the main rotation.
    https://syracusefan.com/threads/su-v...2#post-3785191
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      An interview yesterday indicates starter Priscilla Williams will not play. She is 6'2" Fr starting guard that will not play this year in tournament. That is a reduction to 7 players in the main rotation.
      https://syracusefan.com/threads/su-v...2#post-3785191
      Sounds like four (Fisher, Blackstone, Washington, and McNeal) didn't even travel due to prior suspension for team rules violations, although that source misspelled Irwin's surname, so I guess we'll see how accurate that report is once the game begins.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if Nelson is anywhere close to 100 %. It would greatly improve the Jacks chances if she could play close to her normal minutes.

Comment

Hopefully the Jacks are hot from the outside as I don't feel very confident in this game.

Also how even the refs call the game will be key, they seem to favor big names come tourney time.

Comment

Tough first round game but it’s the NCAA tourney, nothing is easy. Their size will be the biggest factor. Going to need to make a high percentage of 3’s to stay in it. Mangakahia was really impressive when we beat them a few years ago but went through breast cancer since that time. Hoping the Jacks can play their best today and bounce back from the SLT.

Comment

The Orange are likely to throw the zone for defense. The outside shooting will be important as well as those midrange jump shots from the gaps in the zone. Burckhard and Irwin have been fairly consistent with the midrange shots. The transition game may be the majority of shots in the paint. The Jackrabbits might need to figure how to seal the big post from the Oboards.

Comment

i seriously doubt that tori will be able to make a significant positive impact on the game today. she did not look ready at all against UNO. hope i am wrong and that would be a nice surprise but i have significant doubts.

i have not payed much attention to either men or women tourney, besides looking forward to the jacks game, too many spoiled babies at the bigger schools. LOT MORE on mens side but it is infecting the women as well. anyway, if i understand correctly, missouri state is a 5 seed?? last i knew speculation was thinking the jacks could get a 6. cannot really think of ANY reason the bears would have gotten a higher seed than the jacks so maybe minus injuries and winning the slt the girls could have gotten their highest ever seed

anyway no big thing at this point. it has been an AWESOME season for the girls with some very disappointing events toward the end. was just curious about the bears. nothing for the girls to do now but appreciate all they have accomplished already and move forward to the best of their ability

i have ZERO DOUBT that syracuse size will be a problem. but i really think the girls will be focused and they will give an EXCELLENT effort today.

it would really help if paiton could knock down multiple 3's ala the first usd game. really doubt she is going to be effective inside anyway so if she can pull some of the size away from the basket maybe it can open things up a bit for others inside

curious to see how tylee responds. seems she will definitely be the one person syracuse would want to take OUT of the game. curious to see how she responds after her first not good game post myah

can MV continue her hot shooting on the biggest stage??

stapleton has definitely had some good or better than good "moments" but has never established any consistency. could today be one of her moments

LT knocked down that game winner vs the zags. really thought/ was hoping that would be the thing to unlock her offensive game. can she channel the former 3000 pt scorer/ zag hero today? she seems like such an awesome kid!! would be awesome to see that!! that said she is another GREAT kid on a team full of them)))

no spoiled babies here!!! we are really fortunate to have such great kids to root for!!! our school/ coaches do an amazing job of looking for and finding and developing amazing young men and women!!!

Comment

well if they go zone that would obviously nullify the idea of paiton pulling the big girl out. BUT if someone can box the big girl away from the board a bit many of our other girls compete with them size wise at other positions and maybe we can give them more trouble than they expect controling their defensive boards. our guards tylee and LT particularly are good offensive rebounders and against a zone their effort on the O boards could cause some trouble

keeping possession of the ball is good for us even if we do not get a bunch of put backs or 2nd chance points. even if we do not score they can NOT score when they do not have the ball

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
                    i seriously doubt that tori will be able to make a significant positive impact on the game today. she did not look ready at all against UNO. hope i am wrong and that would be a nice surprise but i have significant doubts.

i have not payed much attention to either men or women tourney, besides looking forward to the jacks game, too many spoiled babies at the bigger schools. LOT MORE on mens side but it is infecting the women as well. anyway, if i understand correctly, missouri state is a 5 seed?? last i knew speculation was thinking the jacks could get a 6. cannot really think of ANY reason the bears would have gotten a higher seed than the jacks so maybe minus injuries and winning the slt the girls could have gotten their highest ever seed

anyway no big thing at this point. it has been an AWESOME season for the girls with some very disappointing events toward the end. was just curious about the bears. nothing for the girls to do now but appreciate all they have accomplished already and move forward to the best of their ability

i have ZERO DOUBT that syracuse size will be a problem. but i really think the girls will be focused and they will give an EXCELLENT effort today.

it would really help if paiton could knock down multiple 3's ala the first usd game. really doubt she is going to be effective inside anyway so if she can pull some of the size away from the basket maybe it can open things up a bit for others inside

curious to see how tylee responds. seems she will definitely be the one person syracuse would want to take OUT of the game. curious to see how she responds after her first not good game post myah

can MV continue her hot shooting on the biggest stage??

stapleton has definitely had some good or better than good "moments" but has never established any consistency. could today be one of her moments

LT knocked down that game winner vs the zags. really thought/ was hoping that would be the thing to unlock her offensive game. can she channel the former 3000 pt scorer/ zag hero today? she seems like such an awesome kid!! would be awesome to see that!! that said she is another GREAT kid on a team full of them)))

no spoiled babies here!!! we are really fortunate to have such great kids to root for!!! our school/ coaches do an amazing job of looking for and finding and developing amazing young men and women!!!
                    Missouri State's journey was unique; they essentially withdrew from MVC Tourney after their opening win because both Drake and Bradley each had one Tier 1 individual test positive.

Definitely agree that we're fortunate to have great student-athletes to root for.

Comment

Damn, Stapleton out with a knee injury. Sounds like it could be substantial too.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                        Damn, Stapleton out with a knee injury. Sounds like it could be substantial too.
                        My God, we cannot catch a break. We may need to evaluate our strength and conditioning plan in the offseason. These knee injuries are too recurrent. Hope she’s okay. She’d have seen significant time today and probably even started.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post

My God, we cannot catch a break. We may need to evaluate our strength and conditioning plan in the offseason. These knee injuries are too recurrent. Hope she’s okay. She’d have seen significant time today and probably even started.
                          Dang it, we needed her 3 pt shooting today.

Agree about evaluating the S&C plan, we seem to have more ACL injuries than other SL teams.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post

ESPN had a story about this last year. It's systemic.

Comment

Welp. This one may be over early. Jacks cannot buy a bucket.

Comment

Working...
                              X