No announcement yet.

2020-2021 Rankings/RPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women enter the poll this week at 25 courtesy of a Mississippi state dropout.
    https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaa.../coaches-poll/

Comment

i agree!! i really think all things considered, until the day we can get a 1, 2, or 3 seed, the 6 is really the perfect spot to land. and i really do think there is a day in the future when the jacks could get a 1-3, call me crazy, and make your arguments about if it possible or not, but i do believe they day can come. until then the 6 means you play the 3 and not the 2 to get into the sweet sixteen and the 2 instead of the 1 to get to elite 8. the more games the top seeds have to play before playing us, the more chance for an upset and not having to play one of them, we have never had that scenario. every year we have won tournament games we have ALWAYS had to play the highest possible seed in the subsequent round. usually that is the way a lower seed gets into the region final or more, they have a region with multiple upsets and get at least one extra game against a lower seed, that has not happened yet for the jacks. of course that happens less on the women side with more home games for higher seeds

Comment

#16 Gonzaga just got beat by unranked BYU, 61-56. Gives the Bulldogs only their 3rd loss on the season. Think this might affect the Jacks in the polls?
        Rollin' in my 5.0
        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
          #16 Gonzaga just got beat by unranked BYU, 61-56. Gives the Bulldogs only their 3rd loss on the season. Think this might affect the Jacks in the polls?
          BYU has been a thorn in the side for Gonzaga just like USD has been for us.

Comment

Won't affect the Jacks and won't hurt Gonzaga that bad, Creme had BYU in as an at large in his last mock bracket I believe. They are a very good team just like USD.

Looking right now like I was wrong when I stated that USD had to split at SDSU to stay in the at large conversation. Creme stil has them comfortably in as a 9 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
              i agree!! i really think all things considered, until the day we can get a 1, 2, or 3 seed, the 6 is really the perfect spot to land. and i really do think there is a day in the future when the jacks could get a 1-3, call me crazy, and make your arguments about if it possible or not, but i do believe they day can come. until then the 6 means you play the 3 and not the 2 to get into the sweet sixteen and the 2 instead of the 1 to get to elite 8. the more games the top seeds have to play before playing us, the more chance for an upset and not having to play one of them, we have never had that scenario. every year we have won tournament games we have ALWAYS had to play the highest possible seed in the subsequent round. usually that is the way a lower seed gets into the region final or more, they have a region with multiple upsets and get at least one extra game against a lower seed, that has not happened yet for the jacks. of course that happens less on the women side with more home games for higher seeds
              The best chance obviously is to be seeded a #1-4 seed ( 1-16 top 25 team basically). They get to host the first and second rd in a normal Tournament. Otherwise I'd think playing the lowest #4 seed, avoiding the #1,#2, and #3 seeds in rd 2, would offer the best chance of advancing to the sweet 16 again, assuming of course the games follow the seed line and there are no upsets. If you get to play a lower seed than #4 in the 2nd rd, you're just lucky and someone gifted you that opportunity because they upset a higher seed, very rare and highly unlikely. It's quite an accomplishment to reach the elite 8 and above, for the mid-major. Hopefully some day.

Comment

I can see them dropping to around #20 with the Jacks still behind them (WCC competition>Summit competition). Kind of crazy that Gonzaga's last loss was to SDSU.

The loss at K-State is looking worse everyday. They are currently 0-11 in conference. If the Jacks could have played halfway decent that road trip, they would be sitting undefeated right now. How crazy is that?

Comment

Jacks are up to # 20 in the RPI, rising 8 spots in the last week. USD dropped 6, and is at # 72. USD is still 4 spots ahead of the Jacks in the run up the score NET.

Comment

- Looks like we will finish the season ranked around 40 in the NET and in the mid/lower teens in the RPI. One of our best RPI finishes I can recall and thankfully, it seems like the selection committee is looking fondly on that.
                    - Up to #21 in the AP Poll today.
                    - ESPN has us as a 6 seed. I would be thrilled with that. However, I think if we lose in the SLT we drop to an 8/9 probably. Hopefully Nelson is back but anything can happen in the tourney as we all know. Safest path to the highest seed and a tournaments spot is to win it all.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...l-shapes-sizes
                    Last edited by GoJacks2011; 03-01-2021, 04:13 PM.

Comment

well you are definitely welcome to your opinion, but think we lose seems a bit strong. it seems beyond safe to say that usd would be a slim favorite per the oddsmakers. they have not, however, been very consistent this year. i did not go back and look at all the box scores, but it seems to me that they have had one game almost every weekend that seemed much closer/ tougher than expected.

definitely sucks having to do this thing without myah again, but we played them to the wire without her last year. they are definitely not as strong as last year and i think we are stronger. tylee and paiton are clearly playing better than they were last year and they both feel like they are growing stronger and more accustomed to these lead roles every game.

i will not run down the whole list now but it seems like we have a lot of players who are really improving significantly here to end the season. NO DOUBT we will have to play a really good game but i would definitely NOT count these girls out and chalk this one up as a loss before it even starts

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
                        well you are definitely welcome to your opinion, but think we lose seems a bit strong. it seems beyond safe to say that usd would be a slim favorite per the oddsmakers. they have not, however, been very consistent this year. i did not go back and look at all the box scores, but it seems to me that they have had one game almost every weekend that seemed much closer/ tougher than expected.

definitely sucks having to do this thing without myah again, but we played them to the wire without her last year. they are definitely not as strong as last year and i think we are stronger. tylee and paiton are clearly playing better than they were last year and they both feel like they are growing stronger and more accustomed to these lead roles every game.

i will not run down the whole list now but it seems like we have a lot of players who are really improving significantly here to end the season. NO DOUBT we will have to play a really good game but i would definitely NOT count these girls out and chalk this one up as a loss before it even starts
                        Sorry wasn’t indicating I think we will lose. Still think we can win. Just was providing hypothetical seeding scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
                          - Looks like we will finish the season ranked around 40 in the NET and in the mid/lower teens in the RPI. One of our best RPI finishes I can recall and thankfully, it seems like the selection committee is looking fondly on that.
                          - Up to #21 in the AP Poll today.
                          - ESPN has us as a 6 seed. I would be thrilled with that. However, I think if we lose in the SLT we drop to an 8/9 probably. Hopefully Nelson is back but anything can happen in the tourney as we all know. Safest path to the highest seed and a tournaments spot is to win it all.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...l-shapes-sizes
                          If it's a close loss in the SLT, I think we only fall to a 7. Our Quadrant record is very, very good.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post

If it's a close loss in the SLT, I think we only fall to a 7. Our Quadrant record is very, very good.
                            I agree, plenty of top teams lose in their respective Conference Tournaments, it's a fairly common occurrence most seasons , i think a one seed drop seems reasonable, especially going undefeated in conference play and already having defeated USD twice , and not having our top scorer, but, if we do lose, not saying we will, we have to keep it reasonably close , that's usually the case anyway.

If we win, will we get a chance to go up? I don't know. The 8 or 9 seed would be the pits, if you win in rd 1, you get to play one of the four #1 seeds in the tournament , funny how getting lower seeds like #12 and # 13 gives a team a better chance at making the sweet 16 than the dreaded #8 and #9 seeds

Comment

Was surprised to see that the Jacks only dropped one spot in the NET and four in the RPI after the loss.

Comment

Projected as a 9 seed. The Jacks are still solidly in. One terrible loss does not define their season. They will regroup.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...l/bracketology

Comment

Working...
                                X