No announcement yet.

2020-2021 Rankings/RPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably because Iowa State is playing better (played Baylor very close)

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post
      Probably because Iowa State is playing better (played Baylor very close)
      The Cyclones actually beat Baylor in their first meeting a week or so ago.

Comment

There you go

Comment

hmmmm...it's the morning of Feb 8th and i just looked up the NET rankings. it states games through Feb 7th. USD remains at 34........however, Jacks drop 1 spot from 36 to 37??? admittedly, i don't pay real close attention how rankings are calculated........but, that one doesn't make any sense to me.

Comment

That tells you all you need to know about the value of that system! A 9-5 team with zero quality wins is ranked higher than a 15-2 team with 3 quality wins AND 2 head to head wins over the higher ranked team.

I expect they'll be some common sense used along with this system in March. Fortunately the NCAA says as much on their WBB Net Rankings webpage: "There will be several other factors and metrics that the committee will consider in order to maintain balance and fairness when picking the field of 64."

Comment

All polls have their issues. Kiyoat over on the USD board does a good job of compiling the net and rpi each week and shows the movement from week to week. One major the “flaw” the net system has is it looks at point spreads and efficiency and USD had some large spreads early in the year and they have an efficient offense most of the time. So their numbers are a little inflated and when it matters most the numbers will level out and as long as we take care of business the rest of the year we will be ahead of them in the net and just about every other ranking as well.

Comment

So while their best win is over #89 in the net, their worst loss #90 with the other 4 being us twice at #37 Gonzaga #18 South Carolina #3 so they are getting credit for “good” losses. For the jacks their worst loss is #114 and a blowout loss to #71. We each have 1 blowout loss on the road but ours is to #71 theirs is to #37. So they have more losses but ours look worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                  All polls have their issues. Kiyoat over on the USD board does a good job of compiling the net and rpi each week and shows the movement from week to week. One major the “flaw” the net system has is it looks at point spreads and efficiency and USD had some large spreads early in the year and they have an efficient offense most of the time. So their numbers are a little inflated and when it matters most the numbers will level out and as long as we take care of business the rest of the year we will be ahead of them in the net and just about every other ranking as well.
                  Your analysis of the NET system is a good one. The NCAA supposedly also uses the Quadrant system to evaluate teams. The fact that the Jacks are a Quadrant 1 team and USD is a Quadrant 2, and the Jacks record against Quadrant 1 and 2 teams is 8-1, while USD is 1-5 against those teams means more to me than running up the score against teams ranked in the upper 200's. Combine that with the Jacks ranking 10 spots higher in non-conference strength of schedule, and the NET system seems to be lacking in a number of areas.
                  Last edited by bigticket1; 02-08-2021, 02:42 PM.

Comment

USD and SDSU are both Quad 1 teams if playing away or a neutral court. Both are Quad 2 if playing at home. Quad 1 wins are home 1-30, neutral 1-50 and away 1-75.

I think that is correct, someone will correct me if that is wrong.

UNI on the road is a Quad 1 loss right now and our win in Brookings is a Quad 2 win. It's very home and road dependent.

Zimmer said in his roundup today that the Jacks have to win out in the regular season to get an at large, that simply isn't the case. A loss at NDSU and a loss to USD in the SLT title game would still result in Jacks being an at large team. Seeding would suffer significantly though.

Their Quad 1 and 2 record is phenomenal and the road win at Mo St was huge.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Your analysis of the NET system is a good one. The NCAA supposedly also uses the Quadrant system to evaluate teams. The fact that the Jacks are a Quadrant 1 team and USD is a Quadrant 2, and the Jacks record against Quadrant 1 and 2 teams is 8-1, while USD is 1-5 against those teams means more to me than running up the score against teams ranked in the upper 200's. Combine that with the Jacks ranking 10 spots higher in non-conference strength of schedule, and the NET system seems to be lacking in a number of areas.
                      If the games were in vermillion the quadrants would’ve been swapped. If they would’ve won 2 games in vermillion it would’ve been 2 quadrant 2 wins and SDSU would’ve had 2 quadrant 1 losses. The quadrants change whether it is a home game neutral site game or away game.

The quadrant breakdown is as follows:
                      • Quadrant 1: Home 1-30; Neutral 1-50; Away 1-75.
                      • Quadrant 2: Home 31-75; Neutral 51-100; Away 76-135.
                      • Quadrant 3: Home 76-160; Neutral 101-200; Away 136-240.
                      • Quadrant 4: Home 161-plus; Neutral 201-plus; Away 241-plus.
                      So since USD net is 34, they are quadrant 2 since we played them at home. If we meet again in Sioux Falls. That game will be a quadrant 1 game since it is on a neutral floor.

Since we play NDSU in Fargo if we win we will get 2 quadrant 2 wins since their net is #115 but since USD plays them at home it will be 2 quadrant 3 wins.

So to wrap it up the jacks aren’t a “quadrant 1” team USD a “quadrant 2” team. It’s just since the games were both home games it looks that way. On a normal year we each would’ve have one game considered quadrant 1 and one game considered quadrant 2.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                        USD and SDSU are both Quad 1 teams if playing away or a neutral court. Both are Quad 2 if playing at home. Quad 1 wins are home 1-30, neutral 1-50 and away 1-75.

I think that is correct, someone will correct me if that is wrong.

UNI on the road is a Quad 1 loss right now and our win in Brookings is a Quad 2 win. It's very home and road dependent.

Zimmer said in his roundup today that the Jacks have to win out in the regular season to get an at large, that simply isn't the case. A loss at NDSU and a loss to USD in the SLT title game would still result in Jacks being an at large team. Seeding would suffer significantly though.

Their Quad 1 and 2 record is phenomenal and the road win at Mo St was huge.
                        You beat me to it but you are correct.

Comment

We are getting more support from the media, we were at 66 pts entering the poll at #25, we are at 98 pts in week 12, stengthening our position some. We are inching closer to those 1 or two positions ahead , we are at 98, DePaul at 155 and Northwestern at 197. Playing our remaining games in Conference, it would be very hard to catch them, they being in stronger Conferences , they will be getting more for wins and penalized less for their losses. I suppose anything can happen, like them going into a big losing streak, but if they don't they probably maintain their lead over us until the Conference Tournaments begin.

I will be happy if we can maintain our current position until the conference tournaments coming up fast. The NET really favors the stronger conferences, so mid-majors are still dependent on doing well in the OOC schedule to have much of a chance at being ranked. That's why I'd like to see the Summit get stronger, that means winning games against stronger conference teams in the OOC schedule, except for the top 2, maybe 3 if we are lucky , we are pretty dismal as a conference, it hurts all of us.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-08-2021, 06:51 PM.

Comment

SDSU women stay at #23 in this week’s AP Poll. Wouldn’t be surprised if we were ranked in the Coaches Poll if we win out the remainder of the conference games. NCAA released their top 16 teams. Appears they are favoring teams who have played more games and they were not as consistent with following the NET ratings. ESPN bracketology has the Jacks as a 6 seed now.
                            https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...l-shapes-sizes

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
                              SDSU women stay at #23 in this week’s AP Poll. Wouldn’t be surprised if we were ranked in the Coaches Poll if we win out the remainder of the conference games. NCAA released their top 16 teams. Appears they are favoring teams who have played more games and they were not as consistent with following the NET ratings. ESPN bracketology has the Jacks as a 6 seed now.
                              https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...l-shapes-sizes
                              Man, if not for those back to back non-conference clunkers.... I wonder how high of a seed we would be if we had gone undefeated. I guess we'll have to wait for another year to find out.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

A 6-seed would be awesome, ensuring we would stay far away from those deadly 1-seeds. Also, this is likely the one time where the top-4 seeds won't get to open up the tournament on their home court. Everyone is playing in TX all the way through. I'd expect to see a few more upsets in those first two rounds because of that. Wouldn't it have been nice to get Baylor and Stanford on neutral courts in those round-of-32 games years back?

Comment

Working...
                                X