Coach Johnston Needs 5 Year Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coach Johnston Needs 5 Year Contract

I think the women's basketball coaching job at SDSU is rapidly becoming one of the better gigs in D-I. You've got good institutional support, excellent fan/community support and a good local recruiting area. If I recall correctly, AJ will be the second highest paid women's coach in the Mid-Con (after Amy Ruley) and with his recent run of success, he might just overtake the NDSU coach in the next year or two.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

That has everything do with the fact that overall men's basketball is more popular than women's basketball. I realize that but I'm coming from the position of looking at the women's game specifically and not comparing it to the men.

If you focus on that then, SDSU is one of the best jobs in the country. SDSU is one of the few schools where women's basketball is well supported by the community. I don't know of more than a handful of schools where there is this much student support for women's basketball. So the way I see it AJ has it good here and I can't see him leaving in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
        Maybe im over stating it but what im getting at its not like mens hoops where theres alot more... my question would be is Colorado State a better job then SDSU in womens hoops?? Is Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Georgetown, Oregan, UCLA, USC, all of those schools are desirable mens jobs but not womens... Tennessee is probally the only school that womens hoops is more desirable then mens and I don't know if you can even say that anymore.... I'm not saying theres jobs that a coach in AJ's situation wouldn't jump ship for but i'm just saying that there are alot fewer compared to mens hoops.
        The thing is, the women get the same facilities and "stuff" as the men do..also those type of schools would offer their coaches higher compensation...Northern Iowa coaching job is open too..just a thought...if someone offers between half a mill and a million, how can you turn it down? If the coach stays, then that coach is the loyalest of coaches

Comment

Call me an idealist.  I put alot of stock in loyalty.  Look at where loyalty got Bill Fennelly: 12 years, 10.6 million plus incentives.  But my point is that he earned the big contract. He stayed when other schools were offering him more money. He says he wanted to retire a Cyclone and with essentially a "lifetime" contract he will.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
            Maybe im over stating it but what im getting at its not like mens hoops where theres alot more... my question would be is Colorado State a better job then SDSU in womens hoops?? Is Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Georgetown, Oregan, UCLA, USC, all of those schools are desirable mens jobs but not womens... Tennessee is probally the only school that womens hoops is more desirable then mens and I don't know if you can even say that anymore.... I'm not saying theres jobs that a coach in AJ's situation wouldn't jump ship for but i'm just saying that there are alot fewer compared to mens hoops.

Coach at NDSU (who had been there 28 years and 5 national championships makes $117,000 top inour conference next year! Thought you may want to know for Women's Basketball

Comment

AJ makes like 103,000ish and hes been at sdsu less then 10 years right?
              I was watching ESPN News today after class and they were talking about coaching jobs and it came up that salary isn't what gets coaches to stay/come to town its facilitys/stability/recruits... Well SDSU's has prety good facilities, I would say stability is really good and SDSU's done all of this with correct me if im wrong but there farthest recruits are from Wisconsin, most being from South Dakota and Minnesota... I believe AJ will be given a well deserved pay raise... but what else can SDSU do?

Comment

Originally posted by senator07
                The South Dakota Bureau of Personnel is in charge of contracts for the state employees.  They are the people who are in charge of 1 year contracts or multi-year contracts.  So we have to go through them to change the rule.  I know the SDSU's SA Senate has tried to change this last year, but got shot down right away from the BOR and Bureau of Personnel.  They think it is a power trip from SDSU.  So we need USD and all of the smaller colleges on board with this too.  I think the SA Senate might be trying another push at it this next year so help out all you can.
                The Bureau of Personnel has absolutely NOTHING to do with limiting a coaches contract to one year. NOTHING. The only roll BOP has with Regents employees is health insurance and administering the career service system. Coaches are NOT career service employees. The length and terms of a college coaches contracts are matters soley within the control of the Regents.

Comment

From the greenbaygazette.com web site 4/19/2007

UWGB is believed to be seeking a head coach with ties to the Midwest, ideally with Division I experience. Barnes has no experience at the Division I level. One possible candidate who does is South Dakota State coach Aaron Johnston, who in eight seasons at the school has a 151-46 record. Johnston led his team to the Division II national title in 2003 and has led the transition to Division I. The Jackrabbits went 25-6 last season and played in the WNIT.

Johnston's base salary is $93,890, according to South Dakota public records information. Borseth's base salary at UWGB was $116,092 and he earned $6,000 in NCAA Tournament bonuses last season. If UWGB is willing to pay the next coach a similar salary, it would be a raise of nearly 20 percent for Johnston.
                  more>>http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...1229/GPGsports

SDSU athletics director Fred Oien refused to say whether UWGB has called to ask for permission to interview Johnston, who could not be reached for comment.

Comment

I would hope if Aaron were to leave it would be for a program and job more prestigious than UWGB.

Comment

It may be a 20% increase, but that would be about how much more it would cost to live there. But I hope he does not go anywhere for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitz
                        It may be a 20% increase, but that would be about how much more it would cost to live there. But I hope he does not go anywhere for a while.

UWGB has a strong women's BB program and new on campus athletic facility (Kress Center) will be complete this fall.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                          [quote author=rabbitz link=1174870818/15#24 date=1177018645]It may be a 20% increase, but that would be about how much more it would cost to live there. But I hope he does not go anywhere for a while.

UWGB has a strong women's BB program and new on campus athletic facility (Kress Center) will be complete this fall.   [/quote]

That is all true, but still think Aaron should shoot higher than a mid-major if he is to make a move.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksRule
                            From the greenbaygazette.com web site 4/19/2007

UWGB is believed to be seeking a head coach with ties to the Midwest, ideally with Division I experience. Barnes has no experience at the Division I level. One possible candidate who does is South Dakota State coach Aaron Johnston, who in eight seasons at the school has a 151-46 record. Johnston led his team to the Division II national title in 2003 and has led the transition to Division I. The Jackrabbits went 25-6 last season and played in the WNIT.

Johnston's base salary is $93,890, according to South Dakota public records information. Borseth's base salary at UWGB was $116,092 and he earned $6,000 in NCAA Tournament bonuses last season. If UWGB is willing to pay the next coach a similar salary, it would be a raise of nearly 20 percent for Johnston.
                            more>>http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...1229/GPGsports

SDSU athletics director Fred Oien refused to say whether UWGB has called to ask for permission to interview Johnston, who could not be reached for comment.
                            somebody posted next seasons expected salaries of the conference and AJ was over 100,000... it was between 100-110

Comment

More from the Wisconsin Green Bay Press Gazette
                              http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...my+BDyUw2Cs%3D

Women's basketball: Oral Roberts coach wants UWGB job

By Rob Demovsky
                              rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

As University of Wisconsin-Green Bay administrators sift through applications and candidates to replace women's basketball coach Kevin Borseth, they will see at least one current Division I head coach and an up-and-coming Division I assistant coach with ties to the area.

Oral Roberts coach Jerry Finkbeiner said Thursday he has applied for the job....

...Among those also believed to be on UWGB's wish list is South Dakota State coach Aaron Johnston.

Comment

Posted April 25, 2007

Basketball: Bothof says 'We're getting closer'

By Rob Demovsky
                                rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

"Of course, we're getting closer," UWGB athletics director Ken Bothof said Tuesday. "In general, we're happy (with the search). I think it's moving along as we expected it would. There have been no surprises, and we're pleased with it."

Bothof wouldn't say when he expected to wrap up the search, but indications were it could be soon, perhaps even late this week or early next week.

Bothof steadfastly has refused to comment on candidates but based on interviews with dozens of coaches and administrators around the country, it appears there are two candidates who have stood out. They are: Michigan Tech coach John Barnes and South Dakota State coach Aaron Johnston.

Johnston has not returned repeated messages left at both his home and office, and his interest in the job is tougher to gauge. He likely would demand a higher salary and perhaps more institutional support than a Division II guy like Barnes would. Johnston is in the process of taking South Dakota State from Division II to full Division I status. As a transitional Division I program last season, SDSU went 25-6 and played in the WNIT.

Johnston reportedly interviewed for the head coaching position at Northern Iowa within the last couple of weeks. He has a record of 151-46 in eight seasons at SDSU and might feel compelled to stay in his current job for a couple more seasons if he felt he could then make the jump to a major program.

More....http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...1229/GPGsports

Comment

Working...
                                X