SDSU vs. USD WBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU vs. USD WBB

Here is a link to USD website regarding the upcoming contest. Is USD a "contender" or a "pretender"? I put my money on the ladder. Jacks women should handle them at Frost. Just contain the former Jackrabbit and current trader, Koupal. GO JACKS.

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/wbb...ELEASE_ID=1616
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: SDSU vs. USD WBB

I think this contest should be as entertaining as the mens game. I'm sure the crowd will be on Koupal as much as Mueller in the Mens game. Would not be surprised if the womens game is close to a full house by halftime especially in the Student and General Admission sections. Jacks need to get off on the right track in the NCC if they expect to repeat.

Comment

Jackguy, I would venture to say (living in Brookings and from what I hear around town) that the stands will be filled before the women tip it off at 6:00 pm. Students are being made aware that a limited number of seats are available. The people with GA tickets know they have to be there early to get a good seat. I just spoke to a woman in Olivia, MN and she and her family (6 in all) plan to be at Frost by 4:30 pm. If you want a thrill, drive by Frost at 4:00 pm on Friday and you will see a long line ... guaranteed.

Comment

Don't you wish every game had this kind of excitement. I'm hopeful people will stay in town and be at the UNO game as well.

Comment

We showed up 30 minutes before last year's women's game and ended up sitting in the upper bleachers behind the baseline. I imagine this year will be even more crazy.

Just for kicks, I checked travelocity to see what it would cost me and the wife to fly to Sioux Falls for the weekend. $976 not including hotel, booze, and tickets to a game that's been sold out for days. Hmmmmmm. Decisions, Decisions. :-/

Comment

A little story from the folks over at the Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article1.shtml

A dandy way to start

Chris Solari
            csolari@argusleader.com

published: 1/8/2004

NCC opens with classic SDSU-USD struggle

With the dawn of another North Central Conference women's basketball season, one of the league's most competitive rivalries begins its twilight.

A sellout crowd will watch the University of South Dakota and South Dakota State in a game with national implications at 6 p.m. Friday at Frost Arena in Brookings.

This could be the final meeting between the two schools in Brookings with SDSU moving to Division I next year. The Jacks and Coyotes close the regular season Feb. 27 in Vermillion.

"There's always been a lot of interest in the State-U game. For a lot of people, this might be the only college game they attend all year," USD coach Chad Lavin said. "There's always a lot of excitement. Obviously, since it's the last year for it, that has a lot to do with that also."

But what a way to go out - an epic between the fourth-ranked Coyotes (15-1) and seventh-ranked Jackrabbits (11-2), with subplots galore:

• Friday marks the final game in Frost Arena for USD seniors Mandy Koupal and Stacy Schooley. The two began their careers at SDSU before transferring to Vermillion after their freshman seasons, helping resurrect the Coyotes' program.

• It's a rematch of last year's North Central Region final, which the Jacks claimed 87-63 en route to the Division II national title.

• USD, in the midst of a 14-game winning streak, hasn't won in Brookings since the 1989-90 season.

"This is the first time since I've been here that we've played USD and they're ranked higher than us," SDSU coach Aaron Johnston said. "That doesn't bother me - I think they deserve it. They've played a good schedule, and they've proven that they deserve to be ahead of us right now.

"But for us, just looking at our situation coming off all the success we've had, it's easier sometimes for us to be the underdog. That allows us to be a little more focused."

Koupal, the preseason Division II Player of the Year and USD's all-time leading scorer, presents huge a challenge.The 6-foot forward from Wagner has assumed even more responsibility, averaging 22.6 points and 10.6 rebounds a game. She leads the NCC in scoring and is second in rebounds.

With a potent inside-outside game, Koupal forces teams to find ways to stop her. SDSU's theory, however, has been to concentrate on shutting down USD's secondary scoring options such as Schooley.

Koupal averaged 28.3 points last season in three games against the Jacks, but SDSU won twice - by 17 and 24 points. In the lone Coyote victory, Schooley had 11 points while since-departed Heather Nelson and Julia Frie combined for 43. With Koupal's 28, USD won 87-83.

Since winning NCC Freshman of the Year honors for 1999-200 with the Jacks, Koupal has become the NCC's premier player.

"Everybody knows that Mandy and Stacy started at SDSU, and now they've found a way to do well down at USD," Johnston said. "To be honest, I'm just happy that they're happy."

Tempo should determine Friday's winner. While SDSU - which plays at a frenetic pace - returned nine of its top 10 players, the Coyotes aren't nearly as deep. All-NCC players Nelson and Frie graduated and top reserve Renae Luecke transferred, leaving Lavin with a young, pared down rotation.

The game may hold the key to the NCC regular-season crown. The two teams split the title last year with 14-2 records, each winning at home against the other school. Head-to-head records against fourth-place North Dakota State gave SDSU the opportunity to host the regional.

Go State!

Comment

Good observations by Solari. Jacks are deeper with a better backcourt and better coaching, the game is in Brookings and will be a sell-out. I think the Jacks women should handle USD. Probably a close game for the first half and then I expect the Jacks to put it away in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd. GO JACKS.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I listen to a stored tape of Aaron Johnstons week visit on KJJQ. Sarita De Boer is suppose to be back and playing so what the inside battle with Mandy Koupal.

Supposely, Mandy and her were battling when she had her ACL torn last year. Our ladies are getting starting to take the game personal.

Comment

Working...
                X