AJ is coming back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AJ is coming back!

Anyone listening to KWSN right now? What was the reaction when the "Polish Pistol" dropped the bomb on them?
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Can't think of a better replacement for AJ.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
        Can't think of a better replacement for AJ.

Absolutely++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ;D
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Johnston Coming Back To SDSU - 04/26/2007 3:44 PM

04/26/2007
          Johnston Coming Back To SDSU

A day after departing SDSU for the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, Aaron Johnston has resigned as Phoenix head coach, and will return to Brookings.

Johnston built a pristine program at SDSU, leading the Jacks to a Division Two national championship, through the transition to Division One, and most recently, a trip to the WNIT quarterfinals. Today, just hours before A.J. was supposed to be introduced as the new head coach at UW-Green Bay, the two-time Independent Coach of the Year resigned his position, opting to return to SDSU.

SDSU will host a press conference, announcing Johnston’s return, later this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne
            [quote author=JacksFan06 link=1177619305/0#13 date=1177621789]Now hopefully SDSU can make it worth his while to stay for a couple more years.
            I would think that he'll be here a lot longer than a couple of years. Hard for me to imagine another school wanting to take chance on having something similar happen to them, at least for awhile. 'Course, the Jacks keep winning, someone will be willing to take another run at AJ.[/quote]

Had to be a gut wrenching decision to leave, then a gut wrenching decision to resign and come back.  He will be a little risky for other institutions to pursue for a while, but down the line, good coaches will always get pursued.

Regardless, we should all be pleased AJ decided to do what he thought was best in the end, even if it took a few days to think it through completely.  Situations like this can become a whirlwind and the opportunities to clearly consider all aspects of a decision may not truly present themselves until one is literally alone in a room waiting for a press conference to start.

Good for SDSU and Good for AJ.  

Comment

UWGB knows a bit about what just happened, as their coach, Borseth, did the same thing a while back when he accepted the job at Colorado and later turned it down. I noticed yesterday it only took minutes to post AJ's picture and profile in their UWGB womens basketball coaches link (instead of Borseth). I wonder how long it will take to remove that link? hehee

Comment

I was SO shocked last night when I heard he was leaving! And likewise SO HAPPY to hear he's staying!
                Thanks AJ!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne
                  [quote author=JacksFan06 link=1177619305/0#13 date=1177621789]Now hopefully SDSU can make it worth his while to stay for a couple more years.
                  I would think that he'll be here a lot longer than a couple of years. Hard for me to imagine another school wanting to take chance on having something similar happen to them, at least for awhile. 'Course, the Jacks keep winning, someone will be willing to take another run at AJ.[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking! If the program continues in the same direction then more phone calls will come but this is one incredible commitment that he has made to SDSU!

I think we can all be proud as fans to know that between the players, staff, and fans that it has had that much of an affect on AJ! Everyone rubbing their lucky Jackrabbit feet paid off!

Welcome home AJ! Somebody pinch me! OUCH!!!!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Great news! I went to a lunch meeting today and expressed sadness about losing AJ. Somebody (USD grad no less) said: "Maybe it'll be like Creighton where the guy changed his mind!" I laughed and said "I wish."

Great news!

GO RABBITS. I hope we have AJ at least two more seasons...next year, win Mid-Con regular season and win WNIT, year following, win Mid-Con regular and tourney and on to the dance.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
                      [quote author=jacksfaninne link=1177619305/0#14 date=1177622218][quote author=JacksFan06 link=1177619305/0#13 date=1177621789]Now hopefully SDSU can make it worth his while to stay for a couple more years.

Exactly what I was thinking! If the program continues in the same direction then more phone calls will come but this is one incredible commitment that he has made to SDSU!

I think we can all be proud as fans to know that between the players, staff, and fans that it has had that much of an affect on AJ! Everyone rubbing their lucky Jackrabbit feet paid off!

Welcome home AJ! Somebody pinch me! OUCH!!!!

SUPERBUNNY[/quote]

The talk around here when Dana Altman had a similar change of heart a few weeks ago with the Arkansas men's job was that now he'd never be able to leave Creighton. Altman himself said he plans to retire at Creighton. Granted, Altman and AJ are at different points in their careers and different profile universities, but I'd expect AJ to be here awhile. And that's a great thing.
                      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/appho...amp;sportId=54

photo from the press conference. ;D ;D

Comment

Now everyone get out and order season tickets this year!

Comment

The change of mind is good news, and how this affects AJ's future and golden opportunities remains to be seen. I think tearing up roots can be painful. I am glad the counter offer appeared to be an option. obviously, every voice on campus with authority welcomed him back in open arms. It says a great deal about AJ, the coach, faculty member and citizen.

Comment

Here is a really good video clip of AJ returning from Green Bay and a brief interview in the SF airport. I'd have to give KELO a big thumbs up for this journalism work!!!

http://www.keloland.com/videoarchive...042607johnston

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                                Here is a really good video clip of AJ returning from Green Bay and a brief interview in the SF airport.  I'd have to give KELO a big thumbs up for this journalism work!!!

http://www.keloland.com/videoarchive...042607johnston
                                Thanks for the link. I was on the green on the 14th hole when my brother called to tell me AJ was coming back. Great news for SDSU and the athletes who agreed to play for him and for our university. I hope to see him at the spring game this weekend.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X