Clear All

• Basketball story in the Argus

Here are highlights of a basketball story from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle6.shtml

Going to be a long season for SDSU men
    Chris Solari
    Argus Leader

published: 11/21/2004

INDIANAPOLIS - Moments into Friday's second half, Ben Beran's face became the target for a hard elbow from a Butler Bulldog. His left eye, already blackened from an earlier shot, swelled further. His nose began to drip blood onto the Hinkle Fieldhouse floor.

And he was the one called for a foul.

That pretty much sums up South Dakota State's debut in Division I men's basketball - a bruise-inducing, rude welcome at the hands of perennial mid-major power Butler.

Coach Scott Nagy has more or less warned fans that this year will be a long one. He imposed a directive on himself to show more patience, a sign that this fierce competitor knows he'll need to do more teaching than screaming with a short bench filled with freshmen and sophomores. It's also a subtle recognition of what SDSU lacks - enough talent and depth.

The loss of top players Andy Moeller to transfer and Matt Jones to illness makes Nagy's resolution for the new season much more difficult. Injuries to Jake Wenig and Andy Kleinjan don't help. An eight-player rotation wears down quick when you're facing athletic teams that are used to Division I.

However, Nagy's most complex challenge may be combating the awe and doubt that can seep into his players' minds. After all, it was only a few months ago that the opponents the Jackrabbits now face were distant celebrities on ESPN.

"To me, there's a stigma that goes with it where it's like, all of a sudden, you think there's so much better talent," Nagy said. "We've been competing at the highest level of Division II for nine years. This is my 10th year, and just in terms of the team we have right now, in terms of talent, it's not even close to probably the least talented team we've had."

Nagy and assistant Troy Larson sat on the bench during the pregame warmups, gazing at the beefy Bulldogs. The coaches' wide eyes seemed to be plotting and scheming, but their relaxed postures told more. Just like everyone else, they were soaking in the Jackrabbits' embryonic Division I moments.

When Nagy did lace into his troops during the 80-52 pounding, he spoke mostly in measured tones, trying to help his players overcome their collective bundle of nerves. No explosions - the glasses Nagy wore seemed to turn Captain Intensity into Serene Scott. His sportcoat didn't even come off until late in the first half, when the Bulldogs scored the final 12 points for a 36-15 lead.

SDSU eventually righted things in the second half. That impressed Butler coach Todd Lickliter.

"This was a good test for us, because of the respect I have for South Dakota State," he said. "They averaged 20-some wins for eight or nine years. They played hard and kept coming at us."

Yet, while the Jackrabbits faced plenty of adversity the last two years and succeeded - enduring a rash of injuries - this was clearly different from their Division II days. The players certainly recognized it as well.

"It was our first Division I game ever," senior guard Brady Hokenson said. "There were a lot of young guys. It was a new experience because so many guys have never been through it. There was no familiarity."

And who would expect the Jackrabbits to feel comfortable when there is no past experience to draw upon?

Butler's program is one immersed in history with a few national championships in the 1920s. Marquette, which SDSU plays on Dec. 7, has the 1977 NCAA title to its credit, along with a Final Four appearance just two seasons ago. These are well-established Division I foes dotting SDSU's schedule.

Today, things get no easier. Manhattan made it to the second round of last season's NCAA Tournament under up-and-coming coach Bobby Gonzalez. The Jaspers' up-tempo, athletic flair is quite the contrast to Butler's plodding half-court offense.

Nagy the Optimist will play tug of war with Nagy the Realist all winter. Small victories, like going rebound-for-rebound with Butler, may be the only ones SDSU gets out of its first dose of Division I.

"I mean, let's face it. In terms of our talent level right now compared to theirs, it's a lot different. We hope in a couple of years that that won't be the case," Nagy said. "I believe we can beat teams way more talented than us if we just stick together. And we will. We'll get better."

Sophomore Beran, one of those youngsters who Nagy hopes will eventually lead Jackrabbit basketball to that next level of success, eventually returned to the court Friday night with red-spotted cotton plugging his nose. That warrior mentality has defined Nagy's best players, and the entire SDSU program, in the last decade. . . .

Go State! ;D

Working...
X