Paradise Jam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paradise Jam

The SDSU women really have not received much attention around here but they're taking on some big names this week.  18th ranked Rutgers, Kentucky, and Oregon State.  I think they have a real shot against these teams ;D

Re: Paradise Jam

Here's an article from Rutgers...

No. 17/18 Rutgers Women’s Basketball Heads to Virgin Islands
    SCARLET KNIGHTS WILL PLAY THREE GAMES AT PARADISE JAM NOV. 25-27
    November 22, 2004

PISCATAWAY, NJ – The No. 17/18 Rutgers women’s basketball team (1-0) will travel to St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, to compete in the 2004 Paradise Jam at UVI’s Sport and Fitness Center.

Rutgers will begin the tournament against South Dakota State (3-0) Thursday, Nov. 25, at 4:30 p.m. (3:30 p.m. EST), then face Oregon State (1-0) Friday, Nov. 26, at 2:00 p.m. AST (1:00 p.m. EST). The Scarlet Knights will finish the Paradise Jam with a game against Kentucky (2-0) Saturday, Nov. 27, at 4:30 p.m. (3:30 p.m. EST).

All three games will be carried live on WRSU 88.7 FM, Rutgers’ student radio station. A live stream of the broadcast will be offered on www.scarletknights.com. In addition, the Rutgers-Kentucky game will be carried on several Fox Sports Net outlets, including Fox Sports New York.
    Rutgers is 1-0 this season following a 90-42 victory against Rider (0-1) Nov. 20 in Piscataway. The Scarlet Knights were ranked 17th by the Associated Press and 18th by WBCA/ESPN/USA Today last week (Nov. 15).

The Scarlet Knights are led by junior 6-2 forward Michelle Campbell (Princeton, NJ), who tallied a career-high 33 points on 14-for-18 (.778) shooting against the Broncs, adding 10 rebounds for her third career

double-double. Freshman 5-11 guard/forward Tudy Reed (Chicago, IL) contributed 13 points, and classmates Matee Ajavon (Newark, NJ) and Essence Carson (Paterson, NJ) each had 10 points in their debuts.

Leading the list of returnees is senior Chelsea Newton (Monroe, LA). A 5-11 guard, she battled through injuries to average 11.0 points, 2.9 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game last season. Newton, along with classmate Cappie Pondexter (Chicago, IL), has been named a preseason candidate for the 2004-2005 Naismith National Player-of-the-Year Award.

The Scarlet Knights returned eight letterwinners and three starters from a 2003-2004 team that posted a 21-12 overall record and a 10-6 mark in BIG EAST Conference play. Rutgers finished as the runner-up at the 2004 BIG EAST Championship and secured its sixth NCAA Tournament bid in a seven-year span.

South Dakota State enters the Paradise Jam with a 3-0 record this season following a 96-32 victory against Cal State Stanislaus at the Cal State Stanislaus Tournament Nov. 20. Senior 6-0 forward/center Shannon Schlagel leads the Jackrabbits with 16.7 points per game. Junior 5-7 guard Heather Siegler is adding 12.0 points per game. This marks South Dakota State’s first season as a Division I member. The Jackrabbits, who are playing as an independent this season, advanced to the Elite Eight of the 2004 NCAA Division II Tournament. SDSU returned nine letterwinners and three starters from last season’s team that posted a 26-7 overall record.

Oregon State enters the Paradise Jam with a 1-0 record this season following an 84-67 victory at Idaho State (0-1) Nov. 19. Senior 5-9 guard Shannon Howell led the Beavers with 29 points against Idaho State. Junior 5-11 guard Mandy Close added 16 points. Oregon State returned 11 letterwinners and two starters from last season’s team that posted a 17-15 overall record and an 8-10 mark in the Pacific-10 Conference to finish seventh in the regular-season standings. The Beavers advanced to the third round of the 2004 WNIT.

Kentucky enters the Paradise Jam with a 2-0 record this season following an 84-55 victory against Florida A&M (0-1) Nov. 21. Senior 6-0 forward Sara Potts leads the Wildcats with 21.5 points per game. Junior 6-3 forward/center Jennifer Humphrey is adding 11.5 points and 11.0 rebounds per contest. Kentucky returned six letterwinners and two starters from last season’s team that posted an 11-17 overall record and a 3-11 mark in the Southeastern Conference to finish 11th in the regular-season standings. The Wildcats advanced to the first round of the 2004 SEC Tournament.

Rutgers will play two new opponents at the Paradise Jam in South Dakota State and Oregon State. RU is 1-3 (.250) all time against Kentucky, but the two teams have not played in nearly 11 years (Jan. 17, 1984).

Rutgers will travel to Norfolk, VA, to take on Old Dominion Sunday, Dec. 5, at 2:00 p.m. The game will be carried live on WRSU 88.7 FM, WCTC 1450 AM and WMTR 1250 AM. A live feed of the broadcast also will be available on www.scarletknights.com. GAME NOTES

BASKETBALL HOMEPAGE
    E-Mail Women's Basketball
    ©2004 Rutgers University.
    All rights reserved. Information and images on this site are copyrighted and may not be reproduced without the expressed written consent of Rutgers Athletics.

Comment

Re: Paradise Jam

Thanks for the heads up RABBITLIVINGINVERM!  I went looking at the official site of the tournament and found this:

HTTP://PARADISEJAM.COM/PAGES/W_ARCHIVE_1.HTM

Fox College Sports to Televise Paradise Jam Collegiate Basketball Tournament

Network's To Televise Key Men's and Women's NCAA Basketball Tournament

Press Release
      10/30/2004

For Immediate Release

Seattle, WA: Basketball Travelers Inc. and University of Virgin Islands have reached an exclusive agreement with Fox College Sports to nationally televise the U.V.I. Paradise Jam Basketball Tournament, live next month. The agreement with Basketball Travelers, Inc. calls for FCS to televise key men's and women's NCAA Division I basketball games during the U.V.I. Paradise Jam Basketball Tournament, held in St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. FCS will televise the men's championship game, as well as the consolation game, live on Nov. 22. The championship game tips at 8:00 PM ET, while the consolation game begins at 5:30 PM ET. Potential teams include Arkansas, Saint Louis, Eastern Michigan, Troy, Winthrop and Austin Peay.

Women's televised tournament action, slated for Nov. 27 will broadcast Rutgers vs. Kentucky live at 3:30 PM ET and also the championship game live at 6:00 PM ET between potential teams of North Carolina State, Nebraska, Louisville and Hampton.

Since its inception, five years ago, the U.V.I. Paradise Jam has become one of the premier early season collegiate basketball tournaments in the nation. Tournament champions have never failed to earn berths to the NCAA postseason tournament. Several teams have made it as far as the Final Four. The 2004 U.V.I. Paradise Jam proves once again to be full of talent and competition, and with the partnership of Fox College Sports, fans from all over the nation can now watch the action from the islands.

Fox College Sports covers 500 NCAA basketball match-ups each season, nationwide. FCS's General Manager, David Nathanson, said of the partnership, "The University of the Virgin Islands Paradise Jam basketball tournament is an ideal venue to launch Fox's relationship with Basketball Travelers Inc. Elite teams, a history of intense competition, and a beautiful location are the foundations that precede this much anticipated
      partnership."

Fox College Sports joins other major local and national U.V.I. Paradise Jam Tournament Sponsors, including: NIKE, Home Depot, University of the Virgin Islands, Marriott Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Resort, Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort, Atlantis Adventures and Avis.

"I am thrilled to announce the partnership with Fox College Sports. With a tournament as successful and competitive as the U.V.I. Paradise Jam, it was time to secure a national broadcast partner. We look forward to working with Fox College Sports, setting a precedent for the broadcast of great preseason basketball action from the Virgin Islands," said Nels Hawkinson, CEO of Basketball Travelers Inc., the organizer of U.V.I. Paradise Jam.

About Basketball Travelers:
      Established in 1985, Basketball Travelers, Inc is America's leader in organizing exciting, memorable and unique tours and tournaments. Over the years more than 1750 teams have participated in BTI sponsored events. As Basketball's popularity and skill level continues to grow around the world, Basketball Travelers, Inc. seeks not only to contribute to the sport's development, but also to facilitate goodwill and understanding between nations and peoples of all backgrounds.

For Paradise Jam information, see: www.paradisejam.com
      For FCS Questions Contact: Lou D'Ermilio / 212-556-2573
      For Basketball Travelers Questions Contact: Jenn Ashby / 425-776-2775

BIG TIME!  Even though SDSU's game won't be televised they are bound to have some highlights of our games after we kick the snot out of those other  teams! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Go Jacks!

JBNJBQ

Comment

Working...
      X