• Back from the Virgin Islands

Highlights from an Argus story:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article4.shtml

Jackrabbits find they can play, defeat Division I foes

Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 12/2/2004

Historic victory bodes well for Jack women

With an historic victory under their belts and a tans, the South Dakota State women's basketball players learned a few things on their whirlwind trip to the Virgin Islands.

Yes, they have work to do, but the Jackrabbits were able to compete with all three Division I team they faced.

In going 1-2 in the Paradise Jam tournament, SDSU players and coaches understand more about how they fit into the scheme of Division I. Aaron Johnston's club played well at times in all three games, defeating Kentucky last Friday for the program's first victory over a Division I opponent. That win was sandwiched around an 18-point loss to then-No. 17 Rutgers and a three-point loss to Oregon State.

"Our kids are playing hard and together, and we're learning a lot. Playing against that kind of competition brings the best out in people," said Johnston, who is in his fifth full season as head coach. "For us moving to Division I, people said the competition would make it more difficult for us and that competition would make us look like we don't belong. But if you handle competition right, you get better.

"No Division II games in America can give us the experience we had this past weekend."

The loss to Rutgers provided a glimpse into what SDSU needs to join the top ranks of Division I. Rutgers boasted three freshmen who were high school All-Americans last year, using a 12-0 run early midway through the second half to pull away for the 68-50 win.

"Hands down, they're the best team that we've ever played," Johnston said.

A day later, the Jacks beat Kentucky 57-55 on a layup with four seconds to play by Shannon Schlagel, who averaged 15 points in the three games and was named to the all-tournament team.

On Saturday, SDSU faces Northern Illinois, a member of the Mid-American Conference. The Huskies are led by sophomore guard Stephanie Raymond's 22.3 points per game and also have a tie to SDSU. Alyssa Verdegan, sister of SDSU freshman Andrea, is a senior guard for NIU.

The Huskies entered Wednesday's game with Loyola-Chicago at 1-2 with losses to Missouri and Northern Iowa.

"Kentucky and Rutgers and people like that, those major programs are very structured. They don't take bad shots, and that's why they're at that level," Johnston said. "When we start playing teams like Northern Illinois and Texas State, they're much more similar to what we've seen in Division II, more free-flowing and less structured offenses." . . .

Go State! ;D

Working...
X