Northern Ill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Ill.

Here are highlights about tonights game.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/artic...s/sports06.txt

Hammerle hopes women stay unblemished for home openers
    By Nick Gerts - Chronicle Sports Staff

DeKALB - Finally, a home game.

The Northern Illinois University women's basketball team has been the proverbial road warriors to start the 2004-05 campaign after opening with four straight road contests.

The Huskies play hosts to South Dakota State University for a 7:05 p.m. showdown at the Convocation Center for their first home game of the season. NIU brings in a 1-3 record while the Jackrabbits boast a 4-2 ledger. The game will be broadcasted on 1360-AM WLBK in DeKalb and 95.7-FM WSEY in Rockford, Freeport, Sterling and Dixon. . . .

Northern Illinois has enjoyed its home openers under coach Carol Hammerle, who holds a perfect 6-0 record in DeKalb debuts as the Huskie coach. NIU defeated Loyola-Chicago, 77-60, last season thanks to the stellar play of Joi Scott, who scorched the Ramblers for 24 points.

South Dakota State, on the other hand, is enjoying early season success after picking up the school's first Division I victory with a 57-55 thriller over the University of Kentucky back on Nov. 26 during the Paradise Jam at the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Even though the Huskies have just one win to show from their road trip, they have seen an improved play from sophomore forward Kristin Wiener.

The forward is starting to blossom into a scoring threat in the post for NIU after starting all four games. She put up a career-high point totals in each of her last two games, scoring 12 against the University of Northern Iowa and 13 against Loyola-Chicago on a 6-of-12 shooting effort. Wiener is averaging 9.5 points per game and is shooting 48.7 percent (18-of-37) from the floor, and notched six of the Huskies nine blocks.

The contest also is a reunion for the Verdegan sisters, Alyssa and Andrea.

Alyssa Verdegan is averaging just 0.3 points and 1.0 rebound a game while playing spot duty for the Huskies. Andrea Verdegan has put in 21.5 minutes per game for SDSU, chipping in 4.3 points and 3.2 rebounds a game as a freshman. Both led Flambeau (Wis.) High School to deep runs in the state tournament as Alyssa took the Falcons to the 2000 Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletics Association District 4 State Championship with a 27-0 record.

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Huskies! ;D

Re: Northern Ill.

Here is NIU's web site:

http://www3.niu.edu/athletics/wbball/index.html

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Huskies! ;D

Comment

They have a sweet arena... 10,000 seats, only 2 years old! Check it out on their website.

Comment

Jacks lead early, 10-4.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Jacks now up 26-9, I'll be switching over to the men's game soon. Anyone listening to the women keep me up to date.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

38-22 Jacks. Already with 6 threes on the night.

11-0 run in last two minute for State.

1:31 to go in half

Dickmeyer with 12 already.

Comment

41-22 at half.

Brooke D!ckmeyer with 15 already.
              4 threes.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo
                41-22 at half.

Brooke D!ckmeyer with 15 already.
                4 threes.
                Nice!!!

Comment

Andrea Verdegan's sister, Allysa, plays for Northern Illionis. Right now, they are both on the court. Kind of an interesting fact.

11:26 to play
                  48-26

Comment

Jacks women lead 63-40 with less than 1 minute to play. Dominate performance by the Jacks.

I have a feeling Texas St. will suffer a similar fate as will many of the teams of the schedule this year. Jacks women will carry the torch for our first winter at the DI level and I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Saturday, Dec. 4: Women's Basketball:
                      SDSU 67
                      Northern Illinois 42
                      (Final)

[move]•Jackrabbits now 5-2 on the season•[/move]

Comment

Highlights from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle7.shtml

3-pointers spark SDSU
                        Staff and wire reports

published: 12/5/2004

Jackrabbit men are defeated on last-second basket

DeKALB, Ill. - South Dakota State sank a season-high 12 three-pointers as the Jackrabbit women's basketball team earned a 67-42 victory over Northern Illinois on Saturday night at the NIU Convocation Center.

The Jackrabbits improved to 5-2 overall, including a 2-2 mark against Division I opposition. Northern Illinois dropped to 1-4 overall.

The first half was full of big runs for both teams. With SDSU leading 11-9, the Jackrabbits scored 15 consecutive points to go up 26-9 with nine minutes remaining in the first half. NIU countered with the next 13 points in a five-minute stretch to cut the lead to four.

However, the Jackrabbits ended the half with another 15-0 run to go up 41-22 at the intermission.

Brooke Dickmeyer paced the Jackrabbit offense, scoring 15 of her team-high 17 points in the first half. The senior from Sioux Falls drained four of SDSU's seven first-half treys and added a traditional three-point play.

The pace slowed considerably in the second half but the Huskies were unable to cut into the SDSU lead. After Shannon Schlagel hit a three-pointer to open the second-half scoring for SDSU, Northern Illinois could get no closer than 20 points the rest of the way.

Schlagel ended the night with 13 points as she moved past Karla Stevenson (1,562 points from 1984-87) for fifth place on the SDSU career scoring chart with 1,564 points. She also grabbed a team-high nine rebounds as the Jackrabbits held a 40-35 edge on the boards.

SDSU freshman Andrea Verdegan, who was playing against her older sister, Alyssa, came off the bench to score 14 points. The Glen Flora, Wis., native was 5-for-5 from the field, including 3-of-3 from three-point range. . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Me and Mrs. Filbert took in the game -- my first exposure to D-I SDSU basketball. NIU is a pretty dreadful women's basketball team. SDSU was so dominant from outside that the game wasn't really in doubt from about midway through the first half.

Andrea V. just went off! She looked great. I wonder if we can get her big sister to come to all of our games.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                          X