Alabama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alabama

I also thought I read somewhere that this year we are not eligible for NIT, mens or womens. I also think that even if we were eligible we wouldn't have a lock on a bid yet, but possibly a bubble team.

If I remember correctly the NCAA takes 32 women's teams and the WNIT takes 16. That's 48 teams and not sure if we could pull it out.

That being said, this is a provisional year, and this can do nothing but help in recruiting for the future so that when we do have eligibility, we can make it.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

The NCAA women's tournament takes 64 teams.

Comment

Sportsfan,
        Who would you favor if SDSU had not left the NCC? Not USD, they lost almost as much as SDSU's men did from last year. Augie is not at the heights they once were, although doing better than I expected this year. UND, SCS, Mankato or one of the others.

I didn't hear Lavin's interview, but have heard him before and it sounds like nothing he hasn't said before. There is no way he will ever give a straightforward compliment to a SDSU program (he is a USD coach and that would be grounds for termination ), so he slides in a back-handed one (their success proves how good we/NCC are), along with a little bit of jab to get people riled up (but we/NCC could still beat them).

He still succeeds at one part, getting people riled up. We will have to wait and see if he can continue to succeed at his primary job.

**Sportsfan - answer on the Lavin thread, probably fits better there.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I stand corrected on the NCAA selection, I didn't realize they had increased to equal the men. Do they do a play-in game also?

That would make the bubble question for the WNIT much more solid for SDSU.

Comment

Who would you favor if SDSU had not left the NCC?

UND, St. Cloud and SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
              Regarding Lavin's comments about SDSU not winning the NCC this year.

SDSU has never won the conference outright - tied the last two years - even the year they won the national title. So is this year's edition of the Jacks better than the previous two?

Just because they go off and play big name schools does not mean they would cake walk the NCC. Recent history proves that.
              Yes, this team is probably the best ever SDSU women's team. They are loaded with players who can rain in 3 pointers, and they can play toe to toe physically with anyone.

Also, the level of competition they've played this year (Rutgers who tonight just beat #1 LSU, Purdue, and others) is overall higher than what they've played in the past, and this team has raised their level of play in response.

Right now, I'd be truly surprised if any current (or previous) NCC team could stay within 10 points of this year's Jacks on a neutral court. They're playing that well. That's no reflection on the NCC, it's just that this SDSU team is playing that well.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I would agree that SDSU would more than likley win the NCC this year!! :-/

Comment

Personal opinion here, but who cares who would have won the NCC if we had stayed. We moved up to D-I and we just beat Alabama! 8)

Go State! ;D

Comment

Highlights from an ESPN story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=250050333

South Dakota St 86, Alabama 83

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) -- Megan Vogel scored 14 of her 22 points in the second half, leading South Dakota State to an 86-83 basketball victory over Alabama on Wednesday night.

Vogel shot five of 16 from the field and hit 10 of her 12 free throw attempts for the Jackrabbits (12-4). Shannon Schlagel added 19 points and Christina Gilbert had 13 points.

Marverly Nettles was perfect in 10 free throw attempts to lead the Crimson Tide (9-4) with 27 points, and four others reached double figures. Lauren Hill scored 13 points, while Monique Bivins and Navonda Moore added 11 apiece. Natasha Gamble had 10 points. . . .

Alabama led 38-35 at halftime. The Jacks opened the second half on a 6-2 spurt and led by as many as 7 points in the period.

The Tide got within 2 on a Hill 3-pointer with 1 second left, but Vogel sealed the victory with a free throw as time expired.

Go State! ;D

Comment

From our web site:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,4011

Jackrabbit women hold off Alabama

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- The South Dakota State University women’s basketball team made the plays down to the stretch to hold off Alabama for an 86-83 victory Wednesday night before a crowd of 1,695 at Coleman Coliseum.

With its third straight win over a Division I opponent, SDSU upped its record to 12-4 overall, including a 6-4 mark against Division I opposition. The Jackrabbits also knocked off a Southeastern Conference team for the second time this season; SDSU defeated Kentucky 57-55 at the Paradise Jam in November.

Alabama, which opens SEC play Sunday against Kentucky, dropped to 9-4 overall.  .  .  .

From theirs:

http://www.rolltide.com/Womens%20Basketball/11798.asp

South Dakota State Slips Past Tide Women's Basketball
                      Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Marverly Nettles  

TUSCALOOSA – South Dakota State overcame Marverly Nettles career-high 27 point effort and Alabama’s dominance on the glass to edge the Crimson Tide, 86-83, in an exciting Wednesday night game at Coleman Coliseum.

Alabama’s record drops to 9-4 with the loss, while the Jackrabbits improve to 12-4. SDSU has been impressive in its provisional year of Division I basketball play, knocking off the likes of Oklahoma State, Middle Tennessee, and Kentucky, all on the road. The loss is the first suffered by the Tide at Coleman Coliseum this year.  .  .  .

Go State!  8) ;D

Comment

A bunch of nice photos on that Bama site.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

Yes, this team is probably the best ever SDSU women's team.  They are loaded with players who can rain in 3 pointers, and they can play toe to toe physically with anyone.  

Also, the level of competition they've played this year (Rutgers who tonight just beat #1 LSU, Purdue, and others) is overall higher than what they've played in the past, and this team has raised their level of play in response.

Right now, I'd be truly surprised if any current (or previous) NCC team could stay within 10 points of this year's Jacks on a neutral court. They're playing that well.  That's no reflection on the NCC, it's just that this SDSU team is playing that well.
                          Personally I think our National championship team was the best. Obviously there is no way to prove that, but I think we were at our best when we had Pater, Davis, and Schlagel running the show. Who is sportsfan, right away I thought somebody posted under my name. He darn near stole my name or maybe I almost stole his.

Comment

From ESPN

GAME DAY RECAP
                            Wednesday, January 05

South Dakota St 86, Alabama 83

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            BOX SCORE http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/boxscore?gameId=250050333
                            RECAP http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=250050333

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) -- Megan Vogel scored 14 of her 22 points in the second half, leading South Dakota State to an 86-83 basketball victory over Alabama on Wednesday night.

Vogel shot five of 16 from the field and hit 10 of her 12 free throw attempts for the Jackrabbits (12-4). Shannon Schlagel added 19 points and Christina Gilbert had 13 points.

Marverly Nettles was perfect in 10 free throw attempts to lead the Crimson Tide (9-4) with 27 points, and four others reached double figures. Lauren Hill scored 13 points, while Monique Bivins and Navonda Moore added 11 apiece. Natasha Gamble had 10 points.

Dee Merriweather had a game-high nine rebounds for the Tide, who dominated the boards 43-32.

Alabama led 38-35 at halftime. The Jacks opened the second half on a 6-2 spurt and led by as many as 7 points in the period.

The Tide got within 2 on a Hill 3-pointer with 1 second left, but Vogel sealed the victory with a free throw as time expired

Comment

Here is the Argus Story:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article6.shtml

SDSU women defeat Alabama
                              From staff reports

published: 1/6/2005

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The South Dakota State women improved to 12-4 with their third straight win over a Division I opponent, knocking off Alabama 86-83 Wednesday night at Coleman Coliseum.

The Jacks are now 6-4 against Division I teams, and Wednesday's win was their second against a Southeastern Conference opponent.

Megan Vogel had 22 points and seven rebounds to lead the Jacks, while Shannon Schlagel had 19. Christina Gilbert added a season-high 13. Vogel also added a team-high five assists.

It was the last game before opening SEC play for Alabama, which dropped to 9-4 with the loss. Marverly Nettles had a game-high 27 to lead the Crimson Tide.

Alabama jumped out to an early 9-0 lead, but SDSU answered with a 19-3 run of their own to take a 21-14 lead. The Tide than went on a 13-1 run to close the half, putting Alabama up 38-35 at the break.

The Tide stayed close in the second half, pulling to within one on a pair of free-throws by Nettles at 73-72 with just under four minutes to play, but the Jacks hit enough free-throws in the final minutes to hang on for the win. For the game the Jacks did a good job getting to the line, hitting on 27 of 37 from the stripe.

Alabama outshot the Jacks 47 percent to 41 percent. The Crimson Tide also outrebounded SDSU 43-32, but they committed 22 turnovers to the Jacks 14. Lauren Hill had 13 points for the Tide, while Monique Bivins and Navonda Moore each had 11. Natasha Gamble added 10.

The Jacks are now off for 10 days, resuming their schedule on Jan. 15 when they visit Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They'll take on Wisconsin-Green Bay three days later before returning home to face North Dakota State on Jan. 22.

Comment

[quote author=1stRowFANatic link=board=sdsubb;num=1104936565;start=45#47

I didn't hear Lavin's interview, but have heard him before and it sounds like nothing he hasn't said before. There is no way he will ever give a straightforward compliment to a SDSU program (he is a USD coach and that would be grounds for termination ), so he slides in a back-handed one (their success proves how good we/NCC are), along with a little bit of jab to get people riled up (but we/NCC could still beat them).

quote]
                                This is a great point. It probably wouldn't look good for a USD coach to get on the radio and brag about SDSU. I don't want to hear Nagy get on the radio and brag about USD's men. I'm glad that he recognized that we are having success and didn't try to down play our wins.

Comment

Working...
                                X