Paradise Jam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paradise Jam

I thought this was sooo cool that it needed it's own thread.  8)

http://www.paradisejam.com/pages/w_teams.htm

Go State!  ;D

Re: Paradise Jam

Finally....... How sweet it is........
    It will be even better when we "Hang a Loss" on one of those teams at this tournament

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
      Finally....... How sweet it is........
      It will be even better when we "Hang a Loss" on one of those teams at this tournament

I agree! You left out one word though.......... (every) ;D

Comment

Great article in the Argus Leader this morning.  Comments from AJ and Shannon Schlagel. The Argus lists the teams we will play as: Kentucky, Oregon State and Rutgers.  Our spot became available when George Mason U. dropped out of the tournament.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports.shtml

The article also mentions scheduled games on the road with Purdue, Oklahoma State and Texas State-San Marcos.

Game with the Hoffman twins new team in Texas will be interesting! So will all the other games!

Go Jacks!

Comment

Its a plus that the Argus Leader has done an update article on the D1 progress at SDSU.  What I dont like about the article is the back reference to last football season and what it cost for the football team for traveling to Western Oregan. Chris forgot to mention that Western Oregan has to spend $40,000 to come to Brookings this year.  So whats the difference?  

The fact that Fred is out of town and not available for comment does not mean, we have to reference the past negatives. Its like Chris wants us to fail.  Why else would he mention the Western Oregan football trip?

Cost of travel is not relevant here as the travel expenses are probably paid by the sponsor of the tournment.  SDSU may receive some cash besides travel expenses.   This was sloppy research, Chris could have found out using various websites what the financial terms of the tournament where and not rely on crap from last year.

This reminder of the negatives( i.e travel costs) kind of sours the article in my mind.

Comment

I thought it was a great article. There are two ways of looking at the cost factor. The Western Oregon trip was as a D-II. My read is that the costs were there before and there are still going to some long trips. (I would guess that you are right that at least part of the travel is covered by the sponsor.) So the costs if they are large are not greater than when we were in D-II.

Any article that says we are playing a team from essentially all of the big conferences and that the Paradise Jam came calling in our first transition year is a great compliment to our team and what they have achieved.

Comment

I thought Chris' story was good also.  The cost of last years football trip may alarm those fans that don't know what it costs to move a football team, however it is just a "cost of doing business".  Chris could do a piece on what it takes to get the Nebraska football team somewhere for prospective and that number too would be alarming to the uninformed, and I am sure it would make the Western Oregon trip look like nothing.  

Moving on, sometimes the Argus links expire, so here are the highlights of the story so that a month from know if someone wants to read it they can.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Fridayfeature.shtml

SDSU hoops team in Virgin Islands tourney
              Chris Solari
              csolari@argusleader.com

published: 6/11/2004

Jackrabbits will compete in Paradise Jam Thanksgiving weekend

Sun, surf and sand will help welcome the South Dakota State women's basketball team to Division I.

After three straight Elite Eight appearances in Division II, the Jackrabbits will participate in Paradise Jam, a Division I tournament held Nov. 25-27 in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

SDSU is jumping to Division I athletic competition this season after years as a Division II institution.

Just a jump shot away from the Atlantic Ocean on the picturesque shores of the island of St. Thomas, SDSU will be paired in a round-robin format against three nationally prominent universities - Kentucky, Oregon State and Rutgers. . . .

Forward Shannon Schlagel, home for the summer in Raymond, hadn't heard about the trip until Thursday. When she did, she immediately tried to figure out where in the Atlantic Ocean she'll be headed.

"Holy cow," Schlagel said. "I wasn't thinking that we were going to go anywhere that exotic for my senior year. Wow."

Another bracket at the event, which has a two-game tournament format, features Nebraska, Louisville, North Carolina State and Hampton (Va.). If you're scoring at home, virtually every major Division I conference is represented at the Paradise Jam - Big East, Big 12, Pac-10, Atlantic Coast and Conference USA.

"To be able to get into a tournament with that type of competition is a plus for the program," athletic director Fred Oien said.  .  .  .

Paradise Jam

U.S. Virgin Islands - Nov. 25-27

Women's Basketball Tourney

SDSU will play: Oregon State, Rutgers, Kentucky.

Also in tourney: Hampton, Louisville, N.C. State, Nebraska.  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I'm with SDSU Fan while I love the press about the high level of competition it's negated by the references of travel costs. Can't there just be one article that justs states the facts without a negative jab about costs?

Comment

If a person really wants to nit-pick a story there were a couple of things that I didn't particularly care for as well.

1. Why show a picture of SDSU women after they lost to Cal PA? That is a negative.

2. Why not mention that the two tournaments they played in last year in Florida and Texas were BOTH WON by the SDSU women?

The $40,000 reference I took as just an attempt by Oien to give some comparatives. He was obviously contacted by phone but did not have the exact numbers available in Texas. We spend a fair amount of money to send our teams on the road. We are willing to spend money on our women's basketball team or any of our teams that have an opportunity to compete at a high level and subsequently advertise our great athletic programs at SDSU. That is just a good investment for the future.
                  Think how it will help recruiting efforts when the coaches can talk about traveling to places like the Virgin Islands and competing with teams like the U of Kentucky, Rutgers and Oregon State. Purdue and Oklahoma State are not to shabby either for the regular schedule.

This was a GREAT story.

It is free advertising.

It confirms SDSU is South Dakota's Premiere University.

We need to encourage and thank those that try to help us as we move forward. Chris did not have to print this story but he did! Thanks Chris!

SDSU.........the only D-I University in Great State of South Dakota!

Comment

I just saw that SDSU will have some competition for the States attention during this tournament.  The same time  we're playing oregon kentucky and rutgers, south dakotas team is going to be playing dakota wesleyan, winona and chadron... we'll have to wait to see which one captures fans attention. :

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit85
                      I just saw that SDSU will have some competition for the States attention during this tournament.  The same time  we're playing oregon kentucky and rutgers, south dakotas team is going to be playing dakota wesleyan, winona and chadron... we'll have to wait to see which one captures fans attention. :
                      Without Mandy they will be "lucky" to win half their games this year.  How many Marty's, Mercy's and Mary's are there?

Where is the USeD men's basketball schedule?  Must be sending them some place exotic this year and want some more time to spin it so the women don't feel bad. Title IX seems to have a different definition down there.  

Where is the baseball schedule?

I know we shouldn't be paying any attention to "those left behind" but USeD is such an easy target it is hard to pass them up.

JBNJBQ

Comment

Here are my predictions for USD women in 2004-2005:

They will lose the two exhibition games. (duh :)

They will win the next 6 games and alot of hoopla will be extended to them as another undefeated team 6 and 0.

Then things will start to get a little hairy for them:

They will lose to Southwest Minn. State and Northern State. Concordia will get them also.

Then they will battle with UNO for the bottom spot in the conference. I think USD will win (the bottom spot) and will go winless in the NCC.

I could be wrong about one thing. Winona could possibly knock them off too, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

12 wins

15 loses

Sorry no post season play for Usd this year. Or will all the NCC teams get to play? Will they go back to a six team format?

What do the rest of you think?

JBNJBQ

Comment

USD never heard of them!

Comment

Me neither, I think USD is D-II or NAIA but I am not sure. I am sure they won't be at the Paradise Jam because that is a tournament for D-I schools.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                              Me neither, I think USD is D-II or NAIA but I am not sure.  I am sure they won't be at the Paradise Jam because that is a tournament for D-I schools.

Go State!  ;D

Yeh, it looks like the USD women's basketball team drew the short straw again!  But I'll tell you what!  They have two tournaments in Sioux Falls and Omaha.  Those places are beautiful in Nov and Dec.

Do you suppose that is why 10 women's basketball players have quit in the last three years?

I'll bet USD's men go to Hawaii! Any takers?

Comment

Working...
                              X