• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU at Marquette (Women)

Wednesday, 12/21/2005

Women's Basketball:
    SDSU at Marquette

DESCRIPTION:
    The Jackrabbits will head to Milwaukee, Wisconsin to face Marquette in a game set to begin at 7 p.m.

Re:  SDSU at Marquette (Women)

http://www.gomarquette.com/index.php...ange_well_id=2

Here's what Marquette has to say about the game:

Marquette Looks to Extend Win Streak To Seven; Takes on South Dakota State

12/20/2005

Tomorrow night, the Marquette women's basketball team looks to extend its win streak to seven games, as it takes on South Dakota State at the Al McGuire Center.

At 8-1 and in their first season in the best women's basketball conference in the country - the BIG EAST - the Golden Eagles are off to the best start in program history. But head coach Terri Mitchell isn't focused on the numbers.

"Every year is different and we constantly ask ourselves 'Are we getting better?'" Mitchell explained. "I don't focus on our record as much as I do our overall progress. In that regard, I do think we are off to one of our best starts ever."

"Our focus from game-to-game has been ahead of previous years. For example, last season we struggled on the road and this season, we're 4-0." she added. "A lot of that comes from the poise of our veterans, like Carolyn Kieger, and that maturity has been a big plus. We're ahead of where I thought we would be and that will only grow as we complete our tough non-conference games and begin the very difficult conference schedule."

The Jackrabbits, an NCAA independent, has compiled a 7-3 record so far this season. They are led offensively by Megan Vogel's 14.6 points per game. She also leads SDSU in rebounding, averaging 6.2 boards per contest.

"South Dakota State is a very disciplined, well-coached team." said Mitchell. "They have played a very impressive schedule, beating teams like Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Alabama. We have to stay focused and match their intensity."

Last time out, on Sunday, MU rallied from a 10-point deficit early in the second half to take a 70-62 victory at home against Wis.-Milwaukee. Kieger led Marquette with 16 points and seven assists while Jasmine McCullough registered a double-double with 11 points and a career-high 12 rebounds. The Golden Eagles shot a season-best 55.6% from the floor against the Panthers.

Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. Fans who bring a canned food item will receive $2.00 admission to the game, with all food donations will be given to Marquette’s Campus Kitchen.

The Campus Kitchen delivers meals to community service agencies in Milwaukee, and helps feed hundreds of individuals each week.

In addition, the game will also celebrate Archdiocese Day. Students who attend any Archdiocese school will receive $1.00 admission with this coupon.

Comment

SDSU 32-27 4 min left in the first half.

Comment

SDSU at the half 32-29

Comment

Jacks sound pretty strong tonight. If they keep giving us open three pointers I predict a win. This game wouldn't even be close if we could have hit a few more of those open three's.

Comment

SDSU 45
            Marquette 52

Comment

How about another update, I can't hear the game.

Thanks
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Marquette 67
                SDSU 55

Final

Comment

I was looking at the Saragin Ratings for women's basketball to see if SDSU would move up or down due to the loss to Marquette. Marquette is ranked 47th and has a Rating of 82.74. SDSU is ranked 86th and has a Rating of 76.67. Home court advantage is worth 3.86 points. So since Marquette was at home for the game, there Rating would be 82.74 + 3.86 = 86.60. Therefore, Marquette was favored to win the game by 86.60 - 76.67 = 9.93 or 10 points. Marquette actually won the game by 12 points. Therefore SDSU should not really move up or down in the rankings and Marquette will not make any significant moves either. I will check the rankings again after they have been updated to see if this is correct.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

You live by the three you die by the three. I think we shot 26 of them last night.

Comment

Agreed, I think that's getting us a lot of wins against more developed teams, but when they are cold it will also insure defeat.

Comment

OK they updated the Sagarin Ratings and SDSU went from a ranking of 86 to 88 due to loss with Marquette. SDSU's rating actually went up from 76.67 to 76.68.

The next opponent is Colorado, which is ranked 207th and has a rating of 65.90. The home court advantage this time is 3.55. Since Colorado is at home, they have an adjusted rating of 69.45 and SDSU has a 76.68. Therefore, SDSU needs to win by 8 points or more to move up in the rating, 7 or less may move them down.

Good Luck lady Jacks.

Look forward to see you at Long Beach St. next Friday.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                        X