Thats a final 92-44.

Comment

Re: Women's Basketball: SDSU vs. Kennesaw State

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack
      Thats a final 92-44.
      Wow!

Comment

Gee, this is the institution that once had Newt Ginnrich for a poly science professor. I also believe this is the first year of D1 for Kennesaw. Also I dont think their women's program has been as sucessful as their mens program.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...30/1002/SPORTS

Birthday girl lifts Jacks
          Gilbert turns 22, scores 13 points

CHRIS SOLARI
          csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 01/11/06, 2:55 am

BROOKINGS - Christina Gilbert got her 22nd birthday celebration started quickly Tuesday night.

The senior center scored 10 of South Dakota State's first 13 points as the Jackrabbits put it on snooze control toward a 92-44 victory over Kennesaw State in front of 1,329 fans at Frost Arena, the women's first game at home since mid-December.

"This is the last time my mom will ever bring a cake to the locker room for everyone. She's been doing that since high school," Gilbert said with a laugh. "It was exciting. It's good to be back at home."

SDSU (9-6) scored its most points of the year and shot a season-best 48.3 percent from the floor, including 9-of-23 on 3-pointers. The Jacks also outrebounded the Owls 50-27.

"We worked all week on playing hard and doing the little things right," said sophomore guard Andrea Verdegan, who had 18 points and nine rebounds. "That's something we really focused on - being the aggressive team, boxing out and going after every loose ball."

One of the two remaining players from SDSU's 2003-04 Division II national championship, 6-foot-2 Gilbert took advantage of the depleted Owls' lineup early. With Kennesaw State's leading scorers Shavonder Clarke and Danielle Bates sitting out with injuries, the Jacks found Gilbert in the post for five layups in the game's first five minutes.

Since SDSU backup center Courtney Grimsrud is sidelined four weeks after dislocating a finger on Jan. 2 at Idaho State, Coach Aaron Johnston said he needs Gilbert to continue to improve her ability to rebound, go to the basket and get fouled.

"The last two games, (Gilbert) has played better," Johnston said. "We need her, because she's someone we need to be a presence."

Gilbert finished Tuesday's game with 16 points, four rebounds, two blocked shots and one chocolate birthday cake from her mom Monica, who made the trip to Brookings from their home in Stillwater, Minn., then planned to drive right back after the game.

Seven Jackrabbits had eight-or-more points, and all 10 who played scored. Junior Megan Vogel had 14 points with seven rebounds, and freshmen Stacie Oistad and Ashlea Muckenhirn each scored 10. Beresford native Natalie Carda had nine points, nine rebounds and three blocks.

Defensively, SDSU had 13 steals and forced 20 turnovers. The Owls (2-9), missing nearly 35 points and 14 rebounds a game without Bates and Clarke, shot just 27.6 percent from the floor. Kennesaw State, in its first year of the transition to Division I from D-II, remained stuck on 26 points for nearly six minutes in the second half as the Jackrabbit lead swelled to more than 50 points.

"It was a whipping, no question about it," said Owls coach Colby Tilley, whose team was led by Justina Lujan's 12 points.

The Jacks travel to San Jose State on Saturday.

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Comment

The game was over from the start. They had no size and actually looked small compared to the Jacks. I'm sure not having their center and star forward were big, but I agree it still would have been a win for SDSU. Also keep in mind they are in their first transition year as well.

As for the Jacks, it was an unreal crisp, clean performance. I didn't get to the Butler game, but I asked someone who was and they did agree that they put on the same clinic Butler did. The outlet passing, fast break and all around ball movement was lightning fast and almost perfection. The Jacks only suited up 10 players, but every one of them scored by the end. Anyone know what the deal is with the two girls from SD in street clothes?

Crowd size was great considering it was during break against a team no one has heard of on a Tuesday night. Was worth the drive from SF.

Comment

Can anyone who was at the game tell me if they announced over the PA that season tickets were still available for this year?

I know they did at the Butler game.

If you can't tell, I'm still pondering the decision (more for future years than this year), but it is a tough commit as a SF resident.

Comment

Anyone know what the deal is with the two girls from SD in street clothes?

Grimsrud was injured in practice on the Idaho State trip and Hegge has been fighting off a leg injury.

Comment

I thought I read here on an earlier thread or from someone that Hegge was not playing this year, not sure about that though.

Comment

Season tickets are still available. Call 1-800-GOJACKS for info.

GOJACKS!

Comment

The Kennesaw State website offers this concerning last night's game:

"The 48-point loss is the second worst loss in the history of the program and the biggest margin of defeat since a 46-point loss to Barry College in 1985."

Comment

Uh, 46 isn't bigger than 48....

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_tracks
                          Anyone know what the deal is with the two girls from SD in street clothes?

Grimsrud was injured in practice on the Idaho State trip and Hegge has been fighting off a leg injury.
                          Thanks, I think those are the players I saw. I'm assuming no red-shirt freshman this year?

Comment

The girls did look really sharp last night. Great game for the lady Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                              Uh, 46 isn't bigger than 48....
                              I think they are pointing out that there has been a worse loss in school history, but this was their worst in the last 20 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X