Women's Basketball: SDSU at Florida International

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women's Basketball: SDSU at Florida Internatio

FIU announcers are quite impressed with the Jacks fundamental soundness. Obviously well coached.

FIU is tied with Middle Tennessee State for the East Division Sunbelt Conference lead.

When the Jacks hit their 10th 3 pointer the announcer said that it tied a Pharmed Arena record for 3's by an opponent. Vogel's 3 at the end must have set a new record.

FIU finished the game with an 8 to 3 run. At one point the Jacks led 40 to 21 and FIU tied the game at 45.
    An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
    US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

from News at State

01/28/2006

Jacks Hit 11 Threes In Victory At Florida International

MIAMI, FL - South Dakota State set a Pharmed Arena record for most three point field goals by an visiting team, and Jackrabbits needed all of them as they held on to defeat Florida International 60-56 in non-conference women’s basketball Saturday night.

It was SDSU’s record-breaking 11th trey, by Megan Vogel, which made it a two possession game with 27 seconds left. FIU missed two three-point attempts before Ashlea Verdegan rebounded with seven seconds left and time ran out.

SDSU finished the game 11-for-25 on three-point attempts as the Jacks shot 41 per cent overall, 24-of-49. Six different players connected on a three-pointers for the Jacks. The previous arena record by an opponent was 10, accomplished twice most recently by South Alabama on Feb. 13, 2003.

With the victory, SDSU improved to 12-8 overall while Florida International, which is a member of the Sun Belt Conference, dropped to 12-7.

FIU had rallied to tie the game after trailing by 19 early in the second half. The Jacks used a 12-0 run in the first half to gain the lead, then opened the second half with a 6-0 run. When Vogel connected on SDSU’s seventh three-pointer of the game, the Jacks were ahead 38-19 with 16:52 to play.

With SDSU ahead 43-24 after another Vogel three, FIU went on a 13-0 run before Christina Gilbert scored to end the run and leave the Jacks on top 45-37. But Florida International tied the game at 45 with 6:18 to play on a pair of free throws by Lasma Jekabsone.

Then Jennifer Warkenthein hit a three to put the Jacks back in front 48-45. A free throw by Marquita Adley cut the margin to two, but Verdegan hit a three and the Jacks were up 51-46 inside five minutes.

Vogel was the only Jackrabbit player in double figures, with 19 points, but nine players scored for SDSU. Heather Sieler had five points and seven assists.

SDSU had a 24-to-19 field goal advantage, including 11-3 on three-point baskets, but FIU was 14-of-20 at the free throw line while the Jacks were just 1-of-2.

SDSU will return to Frost Arena to host Southwest Minnesota in a 7 p.m. tipoff.

South Dakota State 60, Florida International 56
      SDSU (12-8)
      Megan Vogel 8-16 0-1 19, Christina Gilbert 1-6 0-0 2, Ashlea Muckenhirn 2-5 0-0 6, Andrea Verdegan 3-6 0-0 8, Heather Sieler 2-6 0-0 5, Natalie Carda 1-6 0-0 3, Morgan Meier 0-0 0-0 0, Stacie Oistad 1-1 1-1 3, Jennifer Warkenthein 3-9 0-0 8, Courtney Grimsrud 3-4 0-0 6. Totals 24-59 1-2 60.

FIU (12-7)
      Liene Bersone 0-0 3-6 3, Lasma Jekabsone 4-11 3-4 11, LaQuetta Ferguson 4-13 0-0 11, Faeza Bouderra 3-9 4-4 10, Iva Ciglar 2-8 1-1 5, Marquita Adley 4-8 1-3 9, Evan Makela 2-8 2-2 7. Totals 19-57 14-20 56.

Halftime: SDSU 32, FIU 19.

FG% - SDSU .407, FIU .333. 3-pt FG - SDSU 11-25 (Vogel 3-6, Muckenhirn 2-3, Verdegan 2-4, Warkenthein 2-5, Sieler 1-3, Carda 1-4), FIU 4-21 (Ferguson 3-7, Makela 1-6, Jekabsone 0-1, Bouderra 0-3, Ciglar 0-4). Rebounds - SDSU 35 (Gilbert 6), FIU 41 (Jekabsone 12). Fouls - SDSU 21, FIU 13. Fouled out - none. Assists - SDSU 18 (Sieler 7), FIU 13 (Bouderra 4). Steals - SDSU 7 (Carda 3), FIU 5 (Ferguson 2). Blocked shots - SDSU 2 (Muckenhirn, Grimsrud), FIU 4 (Adley 3). Turnovers - SDSU 16, FIU 14. Attendance 707.

Comment

I still think launching 25 3 pointers is not a recipe for consistent success. We went cold from long range and that's what allowed Florida Intl to get back in the game. This team needs to develop an inside game that allows for easier shots. Jacks very fortunate to win this game.

Comment

I disagree. I believe our women's team is at its best when running the floor and firing from the perimeter. Who can score for us consistently from the inside?
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Here is a story from the Miami Herald:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...u/13738737.htm

Posted on Sun, Jan. 29, 2006

SOUTH DAKOTA 60, FIU WOMEN 56FIU rally falls short

By LARRY MILIAN Special to the Miami Herald

Megan Vogel nailed a three-pointer with 27 seconds remaining to seal South Dakota's 60-56 victory over Florida International Saturday night at Pharmed Arena.
            ''They showed what a good team they were by coming back in the second half, but we played tough down the stretch, made some big shots and got it done,'' Vogel said.

FIU trailed 32-19 at halftime, a season-low. That prompted FIU coach Cindy Russo to switch her defensive scheme in the second half to a zone, which allowed FIU to contest more shots.

''Boy, that Megan Vogel, she just killed us. We didn't have an answer for her,'' Russo said. ``We were lucky to come back, that team outplayed us in every part of the game. They outsmarted us, they executed better and they deserved to win tonight.''

The Jackrabbits (12-8) extended their lead to 43-24 when Vogel hit knocked down a three-pointer with 15:34 to play.

But the Golden Panthers stormed back, going on a 21-2 run that tied the game at 45 with a little over six minutes to play.

South Dakota responded with a 12-3 run of its own to take the lead for good.

''Against a team like that who plays smart, you cannot wake up at the end and expect to win,'' said FIU point guard Faeza Bouderra, who finished with 10 points, five rebounds and four assists.

Comment

That's sad. They don't even know who beat them.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                That's sad.  They don't even know who beat them.

There is only one team in South Dakota! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Well, true, SDSU is South Dakota's D-I team. I stand corrected.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Following is the text of an e-mail that I sent to the Miami Herald this morning.

Regarding Larry Milian's story in today's paper, it should be pointed out that FIU played South Dakota State University, not the University of South Dakota. I realize that few people in Miami know or care about the difference, but Jackrabbit fans are every bit as offended at being mistaken for the Coyotes as Seminole fans would be at being referred to as Gators.

I haven't received a reply and don't really expect to, but at least they have a heads up for the next time SDSU plays in Florida.

GO JACKS
                    An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                    US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1
                      I disagree.  I believe our women's team is at its best when running the floor and firing from the perimeter.  Who can score for us consistently from the inside?
                      Good point. From the few games I have attended this season, I don't see much inside threat at all. A few driving layups by Seiler etc. but not much else.

Comment

I don't disagree that maybe it's a challenge of not having the right players who can dominate inside. I do think Gilbert and Vogel are capable, but many times we settle for that long 3. When we are hot we win and when we can't hit the three we don't. I just think more balance would minimize the losing on those nights when we can't hit that long shot. We are playing against some taller players 6'4 players who make it more difficult to esstablish an inside game. If that is the style that Aaron want's to play and doesn't discourage the women from consitently constantly taking that shot than I guess that's the way it is. IHMO there is too much emphasis on the 3 point shot at all levels.

Comment

Working...
                        X