Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU vs. NDSU Women - Sat

Great win for the Jacks!
    I just got home from the game and it was a blast. The women came out and hit 9 of their first 10 shots which really set the pace for the rest of the game. I thought they played with lots of enthusiasm and energy. Great crowd for the game also, the student section was full and they stood and cheered for almost the entire game. I was surprised to see the reported attendance at only 4596, I thought there was at least 5500 at the game. The student section was full, the reserved seats had some empties but overall mostly full, and the south and east bleachers were full.

4596 ??? try 5500+

Comment

Today's Argus article

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...602050334/1002

Vogel leads the way
      Junior scores career-high 31 points in 95-66 win over NDSU

Chris Solari
      csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 02/5/06, 2:55 am

BROOKINGS - Megan Vogel had one thing on her mind before Saturday's game against rival North Dakota State.

"I haven't beaten them here on this court in my entire career," the junior forward said.

Vogel drained all five of her 3-pointers en route to a career-high 31 points, and Heather Sieler added a personal best 20 points to lead the Jackrabbits to a 95-66 victory over the Bison in front of a raucous crowd of 4,596 at Frost Arena.

SDSU (14-8) had a season-best with 15 3-pointers, one off the single-game school record, and scored the most points in a game this season. It was the Jackrabbits' fifth game with more than 20 offensive rebounds, as they punished the Bison all night on the glass.

"I thought from beginning to end, that was a very complete game," Jacks coach Aaron Johnston said. "We've had complete games in terms of our intensity and focus before, but we haven't necessarily done it on offense and defense."

With recent meetings between SDSU and NDSU (8-12) turning into seesaw slugfests, Saturday's game at Frost Arena had all the makings of another 40 minutes of battle.

Instead, Vogel and the Jackrabbit bomb brigade wired up a punishing 21-4 explosion to start the game, including 12 straight after NDSU's Lisa Bue opened with a layup.

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the modern women's basketball program, 23 former Jackrabbits returned for the game and were honored at halftime. By that point, the current bunch made sure the outcome was all but certain.

Sieler had four 3s and 14 points as the Jacks staked a 50-31 halftime lead against the shellshocked Bison. SDSU went 9-of-19 from 3-point range in the opening period, making 20-of-44 shots while holding NDSU to 34.5 percent (10-of-29) in the half.

"Oooh, my goodness - they could have hit them from halfcourt tonight," said NDSU center Brandee Gibbs, who finished with 12 points and four blocks. "They were on."

The Jackrabbits also had 29 first-half rebounds as well, and their 16 offensive boards matched the Bison's overall total.

Vogel, who had SDSU's first 30-point game since Melissa Pater's 31 against Bentley in the 2003 NCAA Division II semifinal game, scored 20 points in the final half.

Versatile and athletic at 5-foot-11, the St. Peter, Minn., native kept the Bison off balance by alternating between driving to the basket and spotting up from behind the arc for swish after swish.

That kind of game somewhat eased the burden of having lost both games last year to the Bison.

"I've been thinking about this game for about a year," Vogel said. "It definitely was a sore spot."

Since Johnston took over for Nancy Neiber toward the end of the 1999-2000 season, the Jacks have won seven times and the Bison six.

Bue had 13 points and Katie Lorenz 11 for NDSU, which shot 37.3 for the game.

For SDSU, the importance of the win was clear as the Jackrabbits head on the road for five of their final six games. If they win them all, including a rematch with the Bison in Fargo in two weeks, it would be their fifth straight 20-win season.

"Inside of us," Sieler said, "we have that intensity. We just need to find it and carry it with us wherever we go."

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Comment

From what I heard last year they dont pull out those bleachers because the stairs outside are damaged and can't be used. Because they can't use that exit, it becomes a fire code violation (not enough exits for the people?).
        Yeah, I can vouch for that, there are a lot of broken down, worn out and in need of repairs of places like that on campus. Yet there is apparently no money to repace or fix things like that. The steps outside the SW upper level doors are more like a pile of gravel than accessible fire doors. I'm all for improvements, but usually it would come after fixing existing problems. Is the move to DI to blame, a lack of financial support from the state, poor work from the student leaders and administrators of SDSU, or is there a perfectly reasonable explanation to it all? Sorry, this was a bit off topic, Great Job ladies!!

Comment

From News at State

02/04/2006

Vogel, Sieler Lead Jacks Past NDSU

Megan Vogel and Heather Sieler each scored career highs, South Dakota State added season highs for points and three-point field goals, and the Jackrabbits rolled past North Dakota State 95-66 in women’s basketball Saturday night at Frost Arena.

Vogel hit all five of her three point attempts en route to a game high 31 points while Sieler was 6-for-9 beyond the arc and scored 20 points as the Jacks connected on 15 threes, one shy of the SDSU school record. SDSU’s previous high for points in a game this season was 92 against Kennesaw State.

Vogel, junior forward from St. Peter, Minn., hit 7-for-10 field goal attempts and 12-of-14 free throws. When SDSU pushed its lead from 58-38 to 72-40 with a 14-2 run, Vogel had a string on nine straight points, six of them at the foul line.

Vogel, who moved into 19th place on the all-time scoring chart, has 1,199 career points. Her previous high was 26 twice including against NDSU last season.

Sieler had four three-pointers and a team high 14 points by halftime, helping the Jacks to a 50-31 lead at the break. Sieler’s previous career high was 19 against IPFW last season.

SDSU shot 45.3 per cent (29x64) from the field including 15-of-27, 55.6 per cent, on three-point attempts. And the Jacks had a 48-30 rebounding advantage with 21 offensive boards. Christina Gilbert led the Jacks with 10 rebounds.

And the Jacks, who had just one trip to the free throw line in the first half, that by Vogel with 55 seconds left, hit 21-of-27 from the line in the second half.

Lisa Bue scored the first basket of the game for NDSU, then SDSU ran off 12 straight points, starting with a layup by Christina Gilbert and including baskets by Sieler (three-pointer and layup), Vogel (three), and Jennifer Warkenthein. SDSU hit 9 of its first 10 field goal attempts in the game including three threes, and after the Jacks started missing shots, they had 16 offensive rebounds by halftime, matching NDSU's total for the half.

When Gilbert scored again, at the 10:59 mark, SDSU led 28-14. A three by Sieler pushed the margin to 19 at 42-23 with 4:14 left and another three by Sieler made it 49-28 just before the half.

NDSU came within 17 following a basket by Brandee Gibbs, making it 52-35 with 18:21 to go, but after that the Jacks blew it wide open. SDSU’s lead reached 33 points four times, the first at 74-41 following two free throws by Vogel with 9:34 to play.

SDSU, now 14-8, will play its next five games on the road before closing the season at home against Central State on March 3.

NDSU, 8-12, was led by Bue, with 13 points, while Gibbs finished with 12. NDSU shot 37.3 per cent, 22-of-59. NDSU hosts Wisconsin-Green Bay on Feb. 11.

South Dakota State 95, North Dakota State 66
          NDSU (8-12)
          Ali Sonstelie 2-7 0-0 4, Brandee Gibbs 5-7 2-4 12, Kayla Dahlen 2-6 0-0 5, Katie Lorenz 4-15 2-2 11, Lisa Bue 4-10 4-6 13, Danielle Ellison 1-1 2-2 5, Katie Dahlen 2-2 0-0 6, Jerri Penley 0-1 0-0 0, Brenda Slyt 1-6 0-0 3, Danni Heintzelman 1-4 5-7 7. Total 22-29 15-21 66.

SDSU (14-8)
          Megan Vogel 7-10 12-14 31, Christina Gilbert 3-8 0-2 6, Andrea Verdegan 2-6 5-5 9, Heather Sieler 7-15 0-0 20, Ashlea Muckenhirn 2-5 0-0 5, Sara Smith 0-0 1-2 5, Natalie Carda 2-4 0-0 5, Stacie Oistad 2-7 0-0 7, Jennifer Warkenthein 3-7 2-4 9, Courtney Grimsrud 1-2 0-0 2. Total 29-64 22-29 95.

Halftime: SDSU 50, NDSU 31

FG% - NDSU .373, SDSU .453. 3-pt FG - NDSU 7-17 (Katie Dahlen 2-2, Danielle Ellison 1-1, Kayla Dahlen 1-2, Bue 1-3, Slyt 1-4, Lorenz 1-4, Sonstelie 0-1), SDSU 15-27 (Sieler 6-9, Vogel 5-5, Muckenhirn 1-2, Carda 1-3, Warkenthein 1-3, Oistad 1-4, Verdegan 0-1). Rebounds - NDSU 30 (Gibbs 5), SDSU 48 (Gilbert 10, Muckenhirn 7, Vogel 6). Fouls - NDSU 25, SDSU 19. Fouled out - NDSU Gibbs, Heintzelman, SDSU Carda. Assists - NDSU 17 (Bue 4), SDSU 18 (Verdegan 6). Steals - NDSU 5 (Bue 2, Heintzelman 2). Blocked shots - NDSU 6 (Gibbs 4), SDSU 2 (Sieler, Grimsrud). Turnovers - NDSU 14, SDSU 12. Attendance 4,596.

Comment

[quote author=jackrabbitdw link=board=sdsubb;num=1138999373;start=30#30 date=02/05/06 at 01:52:28]Great win for the Jacks!
            I just got home from the game and it was a blast. The women came out and hit 9 of their first 10 shots which really set the pace for the rest of the game. I thought they played with lots of enthusiasm and energy. Great crowd for the game also, the student section was full and they stood and cheered for almost the entire game. I was surprised to see the reported attendance at only 4596, I thought there was at least 5500 at the game. The student section was full, the reserved seats had some empties but overall mostly full, and the south and east bleachers were full.

4596 ??? try 5500+

i also thought there was at least 5000 there. so that would make me think that if the west upper bleachers arent going to be pulled out that it would be hard to get 5000 in there. im sure people could have squeezed together some but it seem pretty much full on the east upper bleachers and the south bleachers. i was in the reserved so could tell how full it was on that side

Comment

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.d...;ATCLID=234348

Vogel, Sieler, South Dakota State Go Triple-Time in 95-66 Win Over ND State  

Courtesy: NDSU Athletic Media Relations
                         Release: 02/04/2006

South Dakota State 95, North Dakota State 66  

Courtesy: Bob Nelson, North Dakota State
              Lisa Bue scored 13 points as North Dakota State lost 95-66 to South Dakota State in Brookings on Saturday night.  

BROOKINGS, S.D.--Megan Vogel exploded for a career-high 31 points as South Dakota State connected on a season high 15 three-pointers as the Jackrabbis defeated North Dakota State 95-66 in a Division I Indepedent women's basketball game played Saturday, Feb. 4, before a crowd of 4,596 at Frost Arena.

North Dakota State (8-12) is scheduled to host the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay (16-4, 9-1 Horizon League) at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 7, at the Bison Sports Arena. South Dakota State (14-8) plays at the University of Texas-Pan American (4-16) at 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 11.

Vogel hit 7-of-10 from the field including all five three-pointers and also nailed 12-of-14 from the field. Heather Sieler finished with 20 points, hitting 6-of-9 from beyond the three-point line. Sieler and Vogel were the only Jackrabbits in double-figures.

South Dakota State jumped out to an early 21-4 lead, hitting seven of their first eight shots. North Dakota State could only cut the deficit to nine points, 24-13 with 12:21 on a Brenda Slyt three-pointer. Sieler fired up the SDSU offense again and the Jackrabbits went on to build a 50-31 at halftime lead.

South Dakota State hit 15-of-27 from the three-point line for 55.6 percent and made 45.3 percent of its attempts from the field. NDSU made 37.3 percent from the field.

Christina Gilbert pulled down a game-high 10 rebounds as the Jackrabbits also held a 48-30 advantage on the boards.

North Dakota State had three players in double-figures led by Lisa Bue's13 points. Brandee Gibbs netted 12 points, while Katie Lorenz finished with 11 points.

South Dakota State's 95 points was the most allowed since 1999 when the Bison beat North Dakota 92-90.

South Dakota State 95, North Dakota State 66 (Box Score)  

Comment

Nice short story from Grand Forks......

WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: SDSU rips apart NDSUAssociated PressBROOKINGS, S.D. - Megan Vogel's 31 points led South Dakota State past visiting North Dakota State on Saturday night before 4,596 fans in Frost Arena.
                Heather Sieler added 20 points for the Jackrabbits, who improved to 14-8. The Bison received 13 points from Lisa Bue, while Brandee Gibbs (12) and Katie Lorenz (11) also were in double figures.
                SDSU outrebounded the Bison 48-30.
                The Bison dropped to 8-12.

Comment

Here's the story from the In-Forum:

NDSU women struggle
                  By Mike McFeely, The Forum
                  Published Sunday, February 05, 2006

BROOKINGS, S.D. – When you allow career scoring nights to another team’s two best players, the results can’t be good.

It was a lesson learned the hard way by North Dakota State’s women’s basketball team Saturday night. South Dakota State,

led by Megan Vogel and Heather Sieler, rained down a season-high 15 3-pointers to wallop the Bison 95-66 in a game between NCAA Division I independent rivals.

The Bison didn’t do much to hold up their end of the rivalry. Vogel made 5 of 5 3-pointers

to score 31 points and Sieler was

6 of 9 beyond the arc and scored 20 points.

The Jackrabbits thrilled a rowdy Frost Arena crowd of 4,596, making 56 percent of their 3-pointers (15 of 27).

“They put on a clinic as far as 3-point shooting,” Bison coach Amy Ruley said. “A lot of teams don’t shoot that well with no defense on them. Maybe they didn’t have any on them tonight.”

NDSU was late covering the 3-point line the entire game. Six different Jacks made 3-pointers.

“I thought we had good shot selection tonight,” SDSU coach Aaron Johnston said. “I don’t think we shot a contested shot all night. … When they’re that open I feel like they’re going to make them.”

While Johnston liked his team’s shooting, he was more impressed with SDSU’s rebounding dominance. The Jacks outrebounded NDSU 48-30, a total that included 21 offensive rebounds.

The latter number helped the Jacks get off many 3-pointers. On one first-half possession, SDSU fired off four 3-pointers thanks to three offensive boards.

“Offensive rebounds were the key, no question,” Sieler said. “Everybody was crowding around the basket and I was just standing wide open at the top of the key. We’d get the rebound and the ball would come out to me and I’d be wide open.”

The barrage came early. SDSU grabbed leads of 10-2 and 21-4 early. Sieler made 4 of 7 3-pointers in the first half as the Jacks took a 50-31 lead.

The second half offered no relief for the Bison. A Vogel 3-pointer with 12:28 remaining gave SDSU its first 30-point lead at 70-40. The remainder of the game was filled with fouls, free throws and messy play.

For the Bison, the game was a misstep in the transition to Division I. NDSU lost by 33 points to Texas Christian last season, but the Horned Frogs were a Top 25-type program. The Bison and Jackrabbits were Division II and North Central Conference rivals until just two years ago.

Leading scorer Katie Lorenz was held to 11 points on 4-of-15 shooting. Lisa Bue led the Bison with 13 points.

“We look fatigued right now,” Ruley said. “I don’t know if it’s the travel or what. We’ve had trouble getting back some energy.”

The Bison have lost three straight and six of their last eight to drop to 8-12. NDSU hasn’t been four games under .500 since 1979-80, Ruley’s first year and the Bison’s last losing season.

When asked if Ruley saw anything positive in the game for her team, she replied: “Truthfully, no.”

NDSU’s next game is Tuesday at home against Wisconsin-Green Bay. After a game at Texas A&M Corpus Christi, the Jacks visit Fargo on Feb. 18.

“Maybe we just need a little time off. The kids are beat,” Ruley said. “They are physically tired and mentally tired. Maybe they just need a couple of days off to regroup and get some energy.”

Comment

Great game, indeed. NDSU is tall and talented but seemed stunned by SDSU's aggressiveness and had no answer for the Jacks' offensive balance. The Jacks dominated inside and outside and cleared the bench in the process. The fans were great, too, especially on the student side.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up
                      Great game, indeed. NDSU is tall and talented but seemed stunned by SDSU's aggressiveness and had no answer for the Jacks' offensive balance. The Jacks dominated inside and outside and cleared the bench in the process. The fans were great, too, especially on the student side.
                      I agree - - the Bison were never really in this game. The first time in a long, long, long, long time I can say that about an NDSU women's team.

I thought the Bison were maybe down a bit this year while SDSU has kept the D-II championship skill level (or more likely improved on it).

As dominating a win against a rival as I've seen in Frost Arena for a long time.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Attendance - I thought it may be close to 5,000 but I think the count is accurate.  There was definetly enough room to get over 5,000.  I think a lot of extra tickets were handed out, lot of young kids, plus a dozen seniors in wheelchairs that had to be explained what they were there watching.  Anyway, probably the best crowd for a womens game ever in Frost History.

Game - also probably the best played game by the women's Jacks in Frost history.  Pure domination from start to finish on Offense, Def, Intensity, Execution, outside shooting, inside game.  Very glad to see the inside players step up and play hard. Not to mention carreer scoring highs for Seiler and Vogel (that's saying a lot).

Don't let the blowout fool you.  NDSU is a good team, but the Jacks didn't give them a chance.  They were shooting well, but the Women didn't give them any shots.  This was also the second game I've been at that every single player has scored that was suited up to play.  That just proves they are playing as a "team".

Whoever didn't make it missed one of the best games at Frost.

Hope everyone shows up for their final game in March as they deserve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                          Attendance - I thought it may be close to 5,000 but I think the count is accurate.  There was definetly enough room to get over 5,000.  I think a lot of extra tickets were handed out, lot of young kids, plus a dozen seniors in wheelchairs that had to be explained what they were there watching.  Anyway, probably the best crowd for a womens game ever in Frost History.

Game - also probably the best played game by the women's Jacks in Frost history.  Pure domination from start to finish on Offense, Def, Intensity, Execution, outside shooting, inside game.  Very glad to see the inside players step up and play hard.  Not to mention carreer scoring highs for Seiler and Vogel (that's saying a lot).

Don't let the blowout fool you.  NDSU is a good team, but the Jacks didn't give them a chance.  They were shooting well, but the Women didn't give them any shots.  This was also the second game I've been at that every single player has scored that was suited up to play.  That just proves they are playing as a "team".

Whoever didn't make it missed one of the best games at Frost.

Hope everyone shows up for their final game in March as they deserve it.

I wasn't at Saturday's game, but obviously you speak highly of it. One question though, were you at the Regional Championship game a few years ago when the women dismantled USD in Frost on their way to a National Title. Great crowd, great atmosphere, and great performance. If the NDSU game topped that, well then we've got quite a team and our fans are finally figuring out that WBB can rule the roost for a while.

Comment

I don't think I was. Obviously we weren't competing for a championship here, but there was the exitement "in the air".

Also I can't compare the team against the national championship, but I will say this, I think they would be handling the NCC and the hopes for another National Title would be high. I do know someone that followed that team close and also went to one of the games in Missouri and he thinks they are on the same level.

Another guy that I worked with saw his first game in Frost (SD Tech grad) and was quite impressed. He has seen Augie this year and said there is no comparision.

If this team had a consistent inside presence, I think they would have only have half the losses....

Comment

I think the crowd at Frost this weekend answers all questions about attendance. If the men put a winning or at least competitive team on the court the fans will return.

Huge win for SDSU. Establishes us as the best new women's team at the DI level and should get us some attention from the WNIT brass. Key now is to role with this momentum and the cards will fall as they may.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Here are the single game women’s attendance records according to gojacks.com web site at Frost.

1-22-2005 NDSU 4739

2-4-2006 NDSU 4596

3-17-2003 USD 4237

The Regional Championship game is only third on the list. Last Saturday nights game was the second best crowd at Frost for just a women's game.

Comment

Working...
                                X