Women's B-ball verus Central State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women's B-ball verus Central State

the best dang ugly hat you have ever seen...nice student support on the last day of classes before spring break...I hope we get a student spirit organization.

Comment

Jacks End Regular Season With 55-Point Victory

BROOKINGS, SD – South Dakota State broke from a 7-7 tie with a 19-0 run as SDSU closed its regular season with an 86-31 victory over Central State of Ohio in women’s basketball Friday night.

On a night when Heather Sieler became the all-time career leader in steals, the Jacks finished off their 20th consecutive winning season with a 19-9 record. Seventeen of SDSU’s victories were against NCAA Division I opponents, ten of those on the road.

Megan Vogel led SDSU with 23 while Natalie Carda added 15 and Jennifer Warkenthien had 10.

But it was a special night honoring SDSU’s three seniors. Sieler passed Erin Reiten, who had 280 steals 1993-96. The point guard from Huron also scored nine points, to finish 11 points shy of 1,000 for her career, and had seven assists, playin in her 124th game.

Christina Gilbert, from Stillwater, MN, had 6 points and 6 rebounds, appearing in her 101st game, and Sara Smith, Tamarack, MN, hit a late basket for two points. Gilbert and Sieler were part of 98 career victories at SDSU, while Smith came to Brookings from Itasca Community College in Minnesota.

The Jacks held CSU without a field goal from the 14:49 mark to the 1:11 mark as SDSU rolled to a 37-13 halftime lead. Central’s only other points in that span were a pair of free throws by Natasha Galloway with 4:22 to go. Galloway scored the Marauders first 11 points and was their only player in double figures, finishing with 20.

SDSU shot 45.7 per cent (32x70) to 25.5 per cent (12x47) for Central State. CSU had a 22-19 rebounding advantage at halftime, but the Jacks finished with a 48-36 rebounding advantage, led by Carda and Warkenthien, with eight each.

Central State, 12-13 on the season, also had 29 turnovers. The Lady Marauders play at North Dakota State Saturday.

South Dakota State 86, Central State 31
      Central (12-13)
      Latisha Walker 2-7 0-0 4, Natasha Galloway 8-12 4-6 20, Ashley Searcy 1-9 0-2 2, Knetra Nelson 0-4 0-0 5, Taya Kidd 0-8 3-4 3, Tamisha Glenn 1-2 0-1 2, Patricia Whittingham 0-1 0-0 0, Tiffani Jones 0-4 0-0 0. Totals 12-47 7-13 31.

SDSU (19-9)
      Megan Vogel 9-13 5-8 23, Christina Gilbert 2-7 2-5 6, Andrea Verdegan 1-6 2-3 4, Heather Sieler 1-6 6-6 9, Ashlea Muckenhirn 0-3 1-2 1, Sara Smith 1-2 0-0 2, Natalie Carda 6-10 0-0 8, Morgan Meier 2-2 0-1 5, Stacie Oistad 2-4 0-0 5, Jennifer Warkenthien 5-10 0-0 10, Courtney Grimsrud 3-7 0-1 6. Totals 32-70 16-26 86.

Halftime: SDSU 37, CSU 13

FG% - CSU .255, SDSU .457. 3-pt FG - CSU 0-7 (Jones 0-1, Nelson 0-1, Searcy 0-2, Kidd 0-3), SDSU 6-22 (Carda 3-5, Meier 1-1, Oistad 1-2, Sieler 1-4, Smith 0-1, Muckenhirn 0-2, Warkenthien 0-2, Verdegan 0-2, Vogel 0-3). Rebounds - CSU 36 (Walker 7, Galloway 7), SDSU 48 (Carda 8, Warkenthien 8 ). Assists - CSU 7 (Searcy 3, Nelson 3), SDSU 21 (Sieler 7). Steals - CSU 4, SDSU 17 (Sieler 4, Meier 4). Blocked shots - CSU 3 (Whittingham 2), SDSU 3 (Verdegan, Carda, Oistad). Turnovers - CSU 29, SDSU 13. Attendance 2,054.

Comment

Just got back from the womens game and after they play NDSU I doubt Central State will ever travel west to play again. A good second half performance by the Jacks, but that first 10 minutes of the game was ugly. If we could have played the entire game like the second half, we might have put up 110 points or more.

Comment

already looking forward to USC at home in the beginning of the season and its not on a break we lose some talent but i think we bring back a lot more. as far as wnit i think there is possibly a 15-20 percent chance of getting in. we'll see we'll see.

Comment

I'm thinking if our inside game improves next year we will be better than this season.

Comment

oh by the way. my 27 inch flat screen tv was too big for my car so i had to have it delivered. i dedicate it to all the fans of the reserved seats who have [glb]no voice or enthusiasm[/glb] for our rabbits.

Go Big, Go Blue, GO JACKS.

Comment

Nice story in today's Argus, here are some highlights:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...33/1002/SPORTS

Freshmen pace SDSU women

Jackrabbits rout Central St. in last regular-season game

CHRIS SOLARI
                csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 03/4/06, 2:55 am

BROOKINGS - If Friday night was the last game for South Dakota State's three seniors, they'll take comfort in knowing they're leaving the women's basketball program in good hands.

Five Jackrabbit freshmen combined for 36 points and 20 rebounds in an 86-31 bludgeoning of Central State at Frost Arena in what may or may not be SDSU's last game of the season.

With a 19-9 record and no conference tournament to play in, the Jackrabbits are on the bubble for the Women's National Invitation Tournament. That Division I postseason event takes 40 teams that do not earn a spot in the 64-team NCAA Tournament, for which SDSU is not eligible to compete in until 2008-09.

The WNIT field will not be selected until March 14, one day after the NCAA announces its women's pairings.

"We don't look at this as the end of our season," said freshman Natalie Carda, who scored a career-high 15 points. "It was Senior Night, not the end of our season."

Senior Heather Sieler set a new school record for career steals with her 281st late in the game and received a standing ovation from the 2,054 fans. She finished with a typically well-rounded game with nine points, seven assists, six rebounds and four steals.

Junior Megan Vogel led all scorers with 23 points, and senior Christina Gilbert had six points and six rebounds. The Marauders (12-13) shot just 25.5 percent in the game and committed 22 of their 29 turnovers in the opening period. . . .

But Johnston's talented freshmen class caused some major problems for Central State in the therapy-inducing drubbing, led by his pair of young South Dakota forwards.

Willow Lake's Jennifer Warkenthien had 10 points, eight boards and five assists, and Beresford native Carda snagged eight rebounds. Meanwhile, guard Morgan Meier had five points and four steals, forward Stacie Oistad had five points and starting guard Ashlea Muckenhirn played sticky defense.

"They've come so far," said Sieler, who started as a freshman on the 2003 Division II national title team. "It's been awesome to see them grow in just one year. It's exciting because they all have three more years, and they're all going to be very good players." . . .

While waiting for the rest of D-I to finish up conference tournaments, all the independent Jackrabbits can do is wait and hope for a first postseason berth in their new division.

"This wasn't my last game," said Sieler, who is sitting at 989 points for her career. "No. Not even close. I came into this game thinking I have several more games to play."

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                  oh by the way. my 27 inch flat screen tv was too big for my car so i had to have it delivered. i dedicate it to all the fans of the reserved seats who have [glb]no voice or enthusiasm[/glb] for our rabbits.

Ya gotta understand, BHM, that we're all OLD over there. Yelling too much gives us headaches. Makes us grumpy. We get sore throats and lose our voices easier, too. Heck, we can't even drink as much as we used to. My gimp is giving me trouble. Did you hear about Harriet? Ooh, yah, she's going to the doctor tomorrow. Yah, she thinks he'll put her in the hospital for sure. Yah, it's a shame.

Oh, we also get distracted more easily. All those shiny new scoreboards make us dizzy.

What was I saying?

Oh, yeah. We're OLD. We need you young guys across the way to rev us up and keep us focused.

Go Rabbits!
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                    oh by the way.  my 27 inch flat screen tv was too big for my car so i had to have it delivered.  i dedicate it to all the fans of the reserved seats who have [glb]no voice or enthusiasm[/glb] for our rabbits.

Well thank you, I guess since I own 100 shares of Daktronics, I helped pay for the TV. Why was it you where not overwhelmed with surprise when the drawing was made? I guess it must be because you read all those books written by that real old duffer Norman Vincent Pyle. One called Positive Thinking.

Comment

no reason to be overwhelmed ;D i just have had an awesome week and suspected a victory in the super fan contest. i thought about faking fainting on the floor but didnt wanna molest the floor like our beautiful dance team does . mmmm dance team i bet the older generation enjoys their shows they put on too.

Comment

You also have to thank the current Chairman of the Board and co-founder of Daktronics. They own a row of seats in section C, the same row President Miller sits in. Al hasn't been able to make it to a lot of games this past year but in the past years, you could always look over at him with his program rolled up and cheering. Also, a good majority of the people in the reserved seats are business owners or possibly community leaders. If they are seen by people at the games being a screaming lunatic, how do you think it would affect their business. I expect students to get on the players and refs (I get on them too but I don't have to be a respected member on the community) and I'm not saying the students are lunatics. I was when I was a student and I'm dang proud of the fact I lost my voice after each game. I'm getting old and my voice goes out easier now so I have no problem with the reserve seats not screaming. Clap, ring cowbells, etc, is enough for me.
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Bub, agree with you 100% except when it was announced 1 minute to go and the reserved section did not stand up and cheer for the girls. I think this is what dissapointed the students more than anything. Senior night, one heck of a year but when the students asked them to get up for the last minute to send them out no one stood up overthere.

Buisnessmen or not, this is almost a custom at venues accross America. No one is going to hold that against any one.

I personally did not understand it either. :'(

GO JACKS!

Comment

I agree they should have stood up to show the thanks to the team for a great year. I was mainly trying to state why we don't see them yelling as much during the game. I've had many chances to sit in the courtside seats and it was shortly after my screaming years. For most of the game, the refs were close enough for us to make comments to them without having to yell at them. On dunks, I was the only one who would actually stand up in the front row. Made me look around like I was (excuse the term) retarded. I understand not standing so much during the game, but I agree they should have stood at the end.

On a side note SDSUFAN, I wish I would have received my first shares of Daktronics stock before we did a 10 for 1 split around '94-95. I was included twice in the 2 for 1 splits.
                            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94

On a side note SDSUFAN, I wish I would have received my first shares of Daktronics stock before we did a 10 for 1 split around '94-95.  I was included twice in the 2 for 1 splits.  

As a matter of fact, the first 100 where purchased at six bucks a share and I too, received the two splits stock dividends and after the splits had 400 shares. Three hundred shares were donated to SDSU scholarship endowment. So thanks  for all the hard work as a Daktoronics employee. I needed a tax deduction bad last year so hence the donation. I would buy more but the Dakt is trading kind of high right now. Its great Daktronics has supported SDSU as they have good working arrangement. Bottom line SDSU athletics was a benefactor from the stock splits.

Comment

I'm just waiting to see the finished product for the new Dolphins boards. We just released another press release stating they are adding a ProAd around the stadium that should be the longest one ever made (over 2000 feet long I believe). Should be nice for your shares in the future too.

Comment

Working...
                                X