• Sieler a natural leader without the fanfare

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...602120338/1002

Classy catalyst
    Sieler a natural leader without the fanfare

Edited for length....Part one

CHRIS SOLARI
    csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 02/12/06, 2:55 am

BROOKINGS - After all the years she's spent in the shadows of some of South Dakota State's greatest women's basketball players, it's kind of hard to imagine Heather Sieler taking center stage.

That time comes in late July, when the Huron native trades her jersey and shorts for a wedding dress and marries longtime boyfriend Ryan Goehner in their hometown. Until then, Sieler has passed the wedding planning to her mother so the point guard can concentrate on her senior season as a Jackrabbit.

"I just call Heather and run stuff by her. She's like, 'Yeah, that sounds good,' " Janet Sieler said laughing. "She doesn't sweat the small stuff."

It's strange to see Heather Sieler on the receiving end of an assist for once, mainly because she's been so adept at handing them out in her college career.

The quick-handed 5-foot-7 Sieler has played alongside the top three scorers in school history - Shannon Schlagel, Melissa Pater and Brenda Davis - and often been relegated to a secondary spotlight.

But while Pater and Schlagel and Davis were scoring all the points, it was Sieler who provided all the little things that turned the women's basketball program into first a Division II national champion and then a trailblazer at the Division I level. She has been the defensive catalyst and served as the Jackrabbits' on-court glue, fearlessly flying all over and directing the offense with the poise of a general.

"She's the type of person that holds everybody else accountable, but not in a way that gets you down," current teammate Megan Vogel said of Sieler. "If you're not getting it done, she'll let you know. You want to do well because you don't want to let her down."

Called a natural leader by current and former teammates, Sieler has started 117 of 118 games since arriving at SDSU (missing one start but playing in that contest while sick). That stretch includes all 35 contests her freshman year during the Jacks' 2002-03 run to the Division II national championship.

"Heather's been a fantastic competitor," SDSU coach Aaron Johnston said. "She's going to be missed."

Leader since Day 1

Sieler's ability to give up the ball links her to the school's most prolific scorers. Her 424 assists are the seventh-most all-time at SDSU with seven games still left in her college career.

Lately, Sieler has picked up her offensive pace and become SDSU's secondary scoring option behind 1,000-point scorer Megan Vogel.

After going 11-for-16 on 3-pointers in two games last week, including a career-high 20 points against North Dakota State, Sieler earned Division I Independent Player of the Week honors. She has moved into sixth all-time at SDSU behind the arc with 147 triples and needs 70 points to reach the 1,000-point plateau .

For her career, Sieler is averaging a steady 7.9 points per game.

"She's always been someone you know about," Johnston said. "But she never has been someone to carry the same type of media attention of a Shannon Schlagel, or Melissa Pater, or Megan Vogel, because she hasn't been that standout 20-a-game scorer."

Re: Sieler a natural leader without the fanfare

Classy catalyst
    Sieler a natural leader without the fanfare

Part two edited for length

CHRIS SOLARI
    csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 02/12/06, 2:55 am

Freshman firecracker

Defense has always been Sieler's biggest specialty, often picking the pocket of opposing ballhandlers near midcourt then racing toward uncontested layups. She needs just 15 more steals to become the school's all-time leader.

Sieler, who tore an ACL during her junior year at Huron High, was inserted into the SDSU starting lineup immediately in 2002. In her second game, she got fully indoctrinated to the college hardcourt.

During an exhibition game at Williams Arena in Minneapolis, current WNBA star and then Minnesota Golden Gopher standout Lindsey Whalen lit into Sieler for 28 points and 10 assists. Plus, the Jackrabbit newcomer ran into a hard screen set by pillar-like Gophers forward Janelle McCarville, suffering a mild concussion.

"It was kind of like, welcome to the big leagues," Sieler joked.

But that early exhibition loss showed both her toughness and the effect Sieler's quickness would have on the Jacks. Whalen, now in the WNBA, also had seven turnovers that game despite averaging just 4.2 a game for her college career. Sieler ended her freshman year tied for the second highest single-season steals total in school history.

Sieler's ability to push the ball with a sprinter's pace - she was a high school track star - led the Jackrabbits to a second straight Elite Eight in March 2003 and a 32-3 record. This time, SDSU returned from St. Joseph, Mo., with the state's first NCAA basketball title since the school's men won in 1963 and the first ever in women's hoops.

"To come in as a freshman and and perform like she did the whole national championship season was incredible," said Pater, the '02-03 title team's leading scorer. "Even as a freshman, she had the ability to break a press with her speed and quickness. ... She could have easily been on the track team."

Sieler and fellow senior Christina Gilbert are the only two current Jackrabbits left from that championship squad.

"So many things fell into place that year, for us to make it to where we got the national championship," Sieler recalled. "It was almost felt like it was supposed to happen."

Love and basketball

A return to St. Joseph for a third straight Elite Eight followed in 2004 for SDSU although the team wasn't able to defend its title. Meanwhile, Sieler and Goehner, who is a student at the University of South Dakota, continued to date.

Rumors circulated that Sieler would leave SDSU, which was about to move to Division I, and transfer to USD to be closer to her then-boyfriend. It never happened.

"I think people read into that a lot more than they should," Sieler said. "It doesn't matter to us where we go to school. It's not going to change our feelings toward each other."

She stuck around last year and enjoyed her third straight 20-win season as the Jackrabbits entered Division I and beat big-named schools like Kentucky and Oklahoma State.

Two months ago around Christmas, shortly after adding wins over Wisconsin and Alabama, Sieler added another ring to her collection - this one a shiny diamond engagement ring from Goehner. He was gentlemanly enough to ask her parents before popping the question.

"We couldn't ask for anybody better for her," her mother Janet glowed.

Heather, who is just shy of having a 4.0 grade point average, said she plans to move to Vermillion with her soon-to-be-husband and enroll in USD's physical therapy school after graduating from SDSU in May and the wedding in July. Goehner, an accounting student, is expected to graduate next year.

Even the most pressing matters are tough to fit into Sieler's hectic schedule. Over Christmas break, she drove to Huron after practice in Brookings ended, then went dress shopping in Mitchell with her mother before hustling back to the SDSU campus.

"That's Sieler right there," Vogel laughed. "She's so focused - she's got to get a dress, and she goes and gets it done."

Right now, school and trying to get the Jackrabbit women into the Women's National Invitation Tournament are Sieler's main concerns. The couple's mothers have are doing the bulk of the wedding planning.

It just shows that every good leader knows how and when to delegate.

"I don't want to be distracted by all our wedding plans. Yeah, it's there, but I'm not fussing over it and working on it a lot," Sieler said, then smiled. "I'm really not picky - as long as we get married, I'll be happy."

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Comment

WITNESSING SDSU HISTORY

Heather Sieler has seen a lot of changes while a member of South Dakota State's women's basketball team. Here's a look at the major events during Sieler's four years on campus:

Melissa Pater breaks the career scoring record in 2003 against USD. A year later, Brenda Davis moves into second, only to have both bumped down a spot in 2005 when Shannon Schlagel sets the current career record with 1,887 points. Sieler started at point guard with all three.

SDSU goes 32-3 and wins the Division II national championship in St. Joseph, Mo., with Sieler starting all 35 games as a freshman in 2002-03.

In 2004, the Jackrabbits make a return trip to the Elite Eight and St. Joseph in Sieler's sophomore season. Before the season, the school announces it will move to Division I the following year.

SDSU plays its first season in D-I in 2004-05, and Sieler directs the Jackrabbits to a 21-7 record that includes victories over Kentucky, Alabama and Oklahoma State.

On Dec. 18, 2005, Megan Vogel passes the 1,000-point mark for her career. She is the fifth 1,000-point scorer has have played alongside Sieler.

Entering Saturday's game at Texas-Pan American, the Jacks are 83-25 in Sieler's career. The program has four straight 20-win seasons, three of them with Sieler.

SDSU has scored 100-or-more points 13 times with Sieler at point guard.
      - Chris Solari

Comment

It makes you swell with pride knowing people like this are coming through your alma mater and leaving a great impression of what SDSU Athletics are really about.

I have had the chance to meet and talk to Heather on a few occassions and she is also a great person.

I will be standing and clapping with pride when they announce her on Senior Night.

Comment

I was very dissapointed to notice today that the final women's home game is on the Friday night before Spring Break. Looks like there will be little to no students there to celebrate the seniors contributions.

Comment

I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone play the game with more intensity than Heather. Apparently, she applies the same work ethic in the classroom. One of my favorite Jackrabbits of all time!

Comment

I do like to stir up things a bit.

When reading this article I am impressed with Heather, and I am glad Chris who is to be congraduatled for this fine article brought up the rumors about how she was thought to have once considered transferring to USD becauase of a romantic relationship.

What a joke and the joke was on the USD rumor mongers who started this one. What sour valentines day gift that was to the USD rumor mongers. ;D

Also somewhat interesting is Heather's recruitment and  the Woster player currently on the USD roster. Since her father and uncles are great SDSU alums and boosters, she appeared on the SDSU radar screen when Nancy Neiber was coach. When Aaron Johnston replaced Nancy, Ms. Woster kind of fell off the screen and there was quite abit of coverage in the Argus and how a coaching change can affect recruiting. Meantime AJ recruited Heather Sieler in lieu of Ms. Woster who subsequently was picked up by Utah and she subsequently transferred to USD.

I certainly have nothing against the Woster athlete nor her family, they are a great bunch of people, but I think right now I am happy that AJ sought Heather out for  the SDSU program.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/60503007

South Dakota State University basketball player Heather Sieler has received a $7,500 NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship.

Comment

Congratulations, Heather!

Comment

Working...
                  X