• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Illinois

Preview to Sat. Game

Re: Southern Illinois

Originally posted by the_asian_rabbit
    Preview to Sat. Game
    Southern Illinois' record might kind of be deceiving, had a tight loss to Kentucky, but despite beating us there last year, I'm pretty confident w/ how the girls are playin we should pull this one out...

Comment

Hey BlueHtMan...it's Wednesday...you need to start rallying the troops for this one!
      Would be nice to have over 3K folks and a BUNCH of rowdy students for Dr. Miller and our Jacks! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Already been there and done that I've invited 1105 people over facebook to Women's Basketball verus Southern Illinois, Dress up like an Amish or Hutterite for fun... 156 people said they are coming, 395 said they might come, 452 said no and 94 havent replied.

Comment

I hope to be there as soon as I get off work at 7 on Saturday. I won't be dressed up but I should make it

Comment

I should be there with my family and the in-laws. All together we ought to have at least 15 people, up to 30 could attend (depends on the aunts and uncles). I know we own at least 10 cowbells and we'll bring them all. I hope the older patrons have to complain about the students standing the whole time. Come on bluehat, bring a bunch.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
              Already been there and done that I've invited 1105 people over facebook to Women's Basketball verus Southern Illinois, Dress up like an Amish or Hutterite for fun... 156 people said they are coming, 395 said they might come, 452 said no and 94 havent replied.
              156 would be twice as many as we had for Long Beach State. That was a poor showing by the students. I hope it gets better.

Comment

Info about the game tonight...
                Carlai Moore is their leading scorer at 17.4 points and 4.3 rebounds a game. Jayme Sweere averages 11.6 points and 4.1 boards a game and has 13 steals on the season so far. Both are transfers from the UMKC program. They average 63.9 points a game while giving up 66.2 points a game. We are averaging 66.1 points a game while giving up 57.1. They hit the boards at about 32.9 while giving up 29.0. We average 37.5 while giving up 36.4 a game, looks like we have the board advantage. Speed wise we have 97 steals in 8 games while they have 45 in 8 games, I would give us the quickness factor. They turnover the ball less than us 145 compared to our 176. They haven't played in front of many big crowds so I would give us the advantage with the noise being in our favor. On paper it looks like a win is likely. I guess we'll find out tonight.

Comment

Jump to a 22 point lead, then the Salukis get back into game, down to a 5 point lead with 6 min to go.

Comment

Post Game interview
                    AJ:  
                    Great start  Offense good except TO's  
                    Need to work on sustaining large leads
                    Seem to get tentative
                    14 possessions 8 TO's in first half(at one point)
                    58% 26-45 shooting
                    executing well Jenn 7r 15p Megan off a little
                    Oistad big three's
                    Laura played well
                    Andrea and Ashley are playing better
                    won the rebounds war
                    On paper looks like a blow out
                    first ten minutes and the last ten our best
                    Maria and Jen great defensive showing
                    with Ashley and Andrea(point guards) so goes the team
                    They Ashley and Andrea don't know how talented they are

Colorado
                    Size is going to be an issue again like last year.
                    “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

Oh yeah....72-59 Jacks win
                      Jacks had a 37-23 rebound advantage.
                      58% shooting for the game

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

I was wondering why Abby Kratovil didn't see as much action tonight as she usually does? Can someone shed some light on this for me. Thank you.

Comment

12/09/2006
                          http://gojacks.com/
                          Jacks defeat pesky Southern Illinois squad

South Dakota State shot a season-best 58 percent from the field and Jennifer Warkenthien scored a career-high 15 points as the Jackrabbit women's basketball team posted its third victory in a row with a 72-59 win over Southern Illinois Saturday night at Frost Arena.

The Jackrabbits led wire to wire in improving to 7-2 overall. Southern Illinois dropped to 3-6 on the season.

SDSU made its first 8-of-10 shots from the field and jumped out to a 21-3 lead in the first seven minutes of the ballgame.

The Salukis, who started the game by making just one of their first 12 shots from the field, began to find an offensive rhythm midway through the first half. Led by the play of senior forward Carlai Moore, SIU closed the half by making 12 of its last 21 shots from the field to pull to within 40-33 at the break.

Early in the second half, the Salukis continued to hold the momentum, getting to within two at 45-43 on a Moore jumper with 14:42 to play.

But the Jackrabbits regained their composure, going back up by seven at 52-45 on a three-pointer by Stacie Oistad at the 12:50 mark. SIU would get back to within three at 52-49 at the 11-minute mark, only to see the Jackrabbits go on another run to regain a double-digit advantage in the final five minutes.

Warkenthien, a sophomore from Willow Lake, made 6-of-11 shots from the field, grabbed seven rebounds, dished out five assists and blocked two shots. Megan Vogel shared team-high honors with 15 points, moving into a tie with Leah Klaassen (1995-98) for seventh place on the Jackrabbit career scoring list with 1,466 points.

Oistad added nine points off the bench.

The Jackrabbits finished 26-of-45 from the field and were 50 percent on three-pointers, 7-of-14. At the line, SDSU made 13-of-20 attempts for 65 percent. As a team, the Jackrabbits recorded a season-high 22 assists on their 26 baskets, with Andrea Verdegan leading the way with six assists.

Freshman Maria Boever also grabbed seven rebounds as SDSU held a 37-23 rebounding edge.

SIU was led by Moore's game-high 23 points on 10-of-14 shooting from the field. Jayme Sweere contributed 14 points.

The Salukis finished the night 23-of-57 from the field, 40.4 percent, including 2-of-6 on three-pointers. SIU converted 11-of-16 attempts at the line for 68.8 percent.

SDSU closes out its two-game homestand Wednesday night against Colorado. Tipoff is set for 8 p.m. at Frost Arena.

Jackrabbit Notes: SDSU picked up its first win over a Missouri Valley Conference opponent, improving to 1-2 against the MVC and 31-18 against Division I opponents since moving to D-I at the start of the 2004-05 season ... the Jackrabbits have now posted victories over 23 different D-I teams from 14 different conferences ... with a 14-of-25 shooting performance in the first half, 56 percent, the Jackrabbits shot better than 50 percent in the opening 20 minutes for the third straight game ... Warkenthien's career high came after not scoring in her last game, at Kansas ... the Jackrabbits have used the same starting lineup for all nine games this season ... sophomore Morgan Meier scored her first point of the season with a free throw in the first half ... Laura Nielsen played nine minutes and scored two points in her first action of the season since the Southwest Minnesota State game on Nov. 19 ... SDSU's seven three-pointers came from six different players, with Oistad making two ... Courtney Grimsrud blocked a shot in the first half, giving her at least one in every game this season and upping her season total to 20 -- one more than her team-leading total from a year ago

Box Score http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary...72,_SIU_59.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by propar80
                            Hey BlueHtMan...it's Wednesday...you need to start rallying the troops for this one!
                            Would be nice to have over 3K folks and a BUNCH of rowdy students for Dr. Miller and our Jacks! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Attendance: 2299

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Dakota
                              [quote author=propar80 link=1165357505/0#2 date=1165446037]Hey BlueHtMan...it's Wednesday...you need to start rallying the troops for this one!

Attendance: 2299

[/quote]

Good crowd which will happen when you have a team that is fun to watch. I regret I missed the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X