X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 WNIT expands to 48 teams

http://www.womensnit.com/

2007 POSTSEASON WNIT SETS DATES

The Women’s National Invitation Tournament is gearing up for the largest postseason field in history when it unveils a 48-team event this spring.

The tournament is expanding from 40 to 48 schools to give one automatic bid to every conference in the country.  The WNIT also will televise the championship game, which will be March 31.

Because all tournament games are hosted by participating schools, it is imperative that interested schools clear possible game dates with their facilities in order to be considered as host sites.

Here are the possible dates for each round:
    Round 1                       March 14-16
    Round 2                       March 16-18
    Round 3                       March 19-21
    Quarterfinals                 March 23-25
    Semifinals                     March 26-28
    Championship               March 31

The 2007 Postseason WNIT will feature 16 first-round games, followed by 16 second-round games, eight third-round games, four quarterfinal games, two semifinal games and the championship.  All games in the single-elimination format are played at the home facilities of participating schools.

The WNIT field will be announced the evening of the NCAA Tournament selections, on March 12.

Re: 2007 WNIT expands to 48 teams

So if i'm correct 16 teams have a first round bye?

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
      So if i'm correct 16 teams have a first round bye?
      Yes, I think that's right.

If the Jacks keep winning (and, as importantly, if the fans keep showing up) that at least one WNIT game might be in Frost Arena.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This expansion can't be anything but great news for the Jacks and their chances of getting in.

Keep bringing the wins, we'll keep bringing the noise!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
          This expansion can't be anything but great news for the Jacks and their chances of getting in.

SUPERBUNNY
          I believe it really doesn't help the Jacks all that much (this year). 16 of the slots are now conference auto-bids and of course, the Jacks are independents. That leaves 32 at-large bids this year compared to 40 at-large bids last year. Like Filbert said, the more games we win and the more fans that show up, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
            [quote author=SUPERBUNNY link=1167169947/0#3 date=1167233029]This expansion can't be anything but great news for the Jacks and their chances of getting in.

SUPERBUNNY
            I believe it really doesn't help the Jacks all that much (this year).  16 of the slots are now conference auto-bids and of course, the Jacks are independents.  That leaves 32 at-large bids this year compared to 40 at-large bids last year.  Like Filbert said, the more games we win and the more fans that show up, the better.
            [/quote]
            It is arguable though that of those 16 auto-bids most of them would have been getting in anyways. I would think only the really weak conferences (and I don't know how many to consider in that group) would have not gotten any teams accepted in years past. What do others think?

Comment

Remember that the WNIT is an independent tournament, and wants to maximize its income. Not all of its games are on TV so that means that they need to maximize the gate at all of their games. Most of the teams which have big attendance numbers will be in the NCAA tournament.

I think it's entirely possible (maybe not quite likely but close to that, IMHO) that SDSU, if we keep our attendance well over 2,000 for women's basketball, could host one or more WNIT games. I'm sure that the Athletic Department is running the numbers right now, if they haven't already, and putting in bids.

If the WNIT field was at 48 last year (it was 40), SDSU very probably would have been in.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

If anyone wants to chip in a thousand or so for a WNIT bid to the athletic department feel free to do so. Attendence doesn't guarantee anything with bids, it's all about the money. So your tax deduction for the athletic department could come in the form of helping seal a WNIT bid.

Comment

No problem..I'll go talk to dad about taking out some more student loans...i'm sure he won't mind

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                    Remember that the WNIT is an independent tournament, and wants to maximize its income.  Not all of its games are on TV so that means that they need to maximize the gate at all of their games.  Most of the teams which have big attendance numbers will be in the NCAA tournament.

I think it's entirely possible (maybe not quite likely but close to that, IMHO) that SDSU, if we keep our attendance well over 2,000 for women's basketball, could host one or more WNIT games.  I'm sure that the Athletic Department is running the numbers right now, if they haven't already, and putting in bids.

If the WNIT field was at 48 last year (it was 40), SDSU very probably would have been in.
                    Looking back over the WNIT watch thread of last year, then I agree with Filbert, we would have likely been in.

BTW, unless someone can show me where there is an auto qualifier for a GUARANTEED 16 conferences for a place in the WNIT, I haven't seen where that is so. The field was expanded, both last year (to 40) and this year (to 48) to address the small conference REG SEASON CHAMPS who DON'T WIN THE NCAA Qualifier POST-SEASON CONFERENCE TOURNEY AQ games. This could be substantially less than the 16 listed above, so this does APPEAR to EXPAND the field.

From the RPI thread....

There's another RPI, that IMHO, is right on target, has Lady Jacks at 41, with all our loses better ranked, and all our wins (except MTSU) lower. Hopefully, winning out against the UBC will keep us in the 50's or lower. AND THAT, my fellow JACKS Backers, should get us into the WNIT, and maybe even a 1st round bye? Here's hoping the Ladies keep excelling on the courts like they have in the classroom!

The Ladies are on the road the rest of Jan. And if they show the fortitude of the K St (last year's WNIT winner, btw) game, and not the let downs of Missouri or Ark St., then bunny backers need to stuff Frost in FEB for the home match-ups. THAT WOULD HELP get GAME HOST opportunity.

Go Jacks!!!! 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit
                      The Ladies are on the road the rest of Jan. And if they show the fortitude of the K St (last year's WNIT winner, btw) game, and not the let downs of Missouri or Ark St., then bunny backers need to stuff Frost in FEB for the home match-ups. THAT WOULD HELP get GAME HOST opportunity.
                      We played at KU (Kansas), not K-State. And I would amend that statement to "the first half of the KU game" since we almost let that one slip away........

Comment

As A.J. once said it's all about the size of the BID and the GUARANTEE you put in to host, then it's about the number of people who will show up if you get the host.

Comment

Working...
                        X