Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiners get acknowledgment of misapplication

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...;ATCLID=748869

Women’s Basketball Officiating Consortium Acknowledges Misapplication of Rule  
    Courtesy: University of Minnesota

Release: 01/17/2007

Courtesy: University of Minnesota

The Women’s Basketball Officiating Consortium has acknowledged a misapplication of a rule that incorrectly counted a last-second basket giving South Dakota State a 59-58 victory over Minnesota on Sunday, Jan. 14. The Golden Gophers would have won their 12th game of the season but per NCAA rules the game remains a loss on the Minnesota season record.

“I feel bad for our student-athletes who gave such effort in this game,” said Regina Sullivan, Minnesota’s Senior Associate Athletics Director. “It’s my sincere hope that this team will earn NCAA Tournament consideration outright without reflecting on the outcome of this particular game.”

The NCAA Men’s and Women’s Basketball Rule 2-5-2 B states, “At the end of either half or at the end of any extra period, the officials after making a call on the playing court shall use replay equipment, videotape or television monitoring that is located on a designated courtside table (i.e., within approximately 3 -12 feet from the playing court), when such equipment is available, to ascertain, when a try for field goal that will determine the outcome of a game (win, lose, tie), and was attempted at or near the expiration of the game clock, was released before the reading of 00.0 on the game clock.”

“That was the ruling that we misapplied,” said Patty Broderick, the Coordinator of Officials for the WBOC. “With 00.0 on the game clock, the ball is absolutely in the South Dakota State player’s hand and that is what determines whether a shot is good or not good in regards to reviewing a play at the end of a game on a monitor.”

“Minnesota lost the game because there is no appeal process; there’s no protest,” added Broderick. “When the officials leave the court, they have approved the score. But, the NCAA is aware the officials misapplied a rule and there is corrective action being taken against them. They are being disciplined for misapplying the rule.”

Broderick would not expand on the corrective action taken against the crew that worked the game. The WBOC’s corrective action procedures and policies without limitation could include: verbal or written censure; placement on probationary status; reduction, restriction, or cancellation of assignments or suspension or any revocation of the officials’ status with the conference.

“All I can tell you is that the officials have been disciplined,” added Broderick. “In my opinion the penalty suits the misapplication of the rule.”

Golden Gopher head coach Pam Borton received the news of the ruling with some satisfaction, but overall her focus was on Minnesota’s game Thursday at Illinois. “Life isn’t always fair but this situation is what it is. We have moved on and have focused all of our energy on our next game. We have an important game at Illinois to prepare for.”

note: that is not what the rule book says. It states 0.00

Re: Whiners get acknowledgment of misapplication

What a bunch of whiners!!!!!!!! >

Comment

If the shoe had been on the other foot I'm sure there would be whining here. :'(

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled Jack
        If the shoe had been on the other foot I'm sure there would be whining here.   :'(

I watched the game. There were a lot of misapplications of the rules in the game. It happens in every game. The refs are not perfect. They make mistakes. To make a big deal over one misapplication is whining in my opinion.

But since winning is not in the cards for them whining will have to do.

I'm sure we wil be happy to give them a rematch in the WNIT. Lets see how they do on our court or even a neutral court.

Rematch!

Comment

Gopher fans, if you think you really got the short end of a game that slipped away, contact the Gopher atheltic department and ask for Coach Borton to schedule a rematch at Frost Arena for early next season. Between your fans and our loyal fans, we should sell Frost out and have a good ol' time.

P.S. Did the Gopher fans or staffers or the WBOC ever address the situation when the game wasn't turned on for 20-30 seconds??? The outcome could have been different in favor of either team IF that time had been run off the clock. I find a 30 second addition to the game to be disturbing.......

Comment

Here is an article from the Argus pertaining the the ruling:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...701180351/1002

It looks as though Terry tried to get an explanation about the discrepancy in the rule from the NCAA but didn't receive a comment.

This is the most compelling part of the article and still leaves some question in the rule:

There is a difference between 0.0 - as the clock at Williams Arena read - and 0.00.

The NCAA women's basketball office did not return a call seeking comment. Broderick said that beginning this season, each school is required to have a clock that counts 10ths of a second.

It's her understanding, then, that the game ends at 0.0. When asked about the contradictory wording within the NCAA rule, she said, "I don't even know if that's ever been brought to their attention."

That lack of clarity is a problem, according to SDSU's coach.

"Unfortunately, I think even though they find an incorrect application, I think it's reasonable for a normal person to read that and be confused," Johnston said. "That's not to say I think it's right or wrong, but as I read the rule book, it's confusing."
            There is also an extra piece in the paper edition of this article that isn't contained in the online version. Terry contacted an engineer at Daktronics and he said the shot wouldn't have counted if the game had been in Frost. The engineer stated the LED light should go off exactly when the clock reads 0.0 and that is the way Daktronics boards function. He goes on to say this is the rules of NBA, NCAA and everyone else.

This is the best evidence for me. If the rule was not applied correctly then why on earth would the light go off AFTER the clock reaches 0.0. That is something the U of M should seriously consider.

So one could argue the lack of updated equipment in Williams arena cost the Gophers this loss.

Comment

P.S. Did the Gopher fans or staffers or the WBOC ever address the situation when the game wasn't turned on for 20-30 seconds??? The outcome could have been different in favor of either team IF that time had been run off the clock. I find a 30 second addition to the game to be disturbing.......
              Exactly! I think this fact is the biggest problem. If I remember correctly the officials met and discussed the issue during the game, but did nothing about it. If they can review shots then they should be able to review elapsed time when the game clock was not running and at least get an approximate time.

Comment

This is like arguing with a brick wall. The game is ours in the books, and Jacks Fans know the real deal -just because the rest of 'em can't figure it out doesn't mean we can't. I'd love to see a rematch at Frost.

Comment

I have been a Jacks fan for over 40 years. The Gophers were within their right to have this issued clarified. If the shoe were on the other foot we may very well have done the same thing. I feel Coach Borden and AJ have both handled this situation with a lot of class. We get credit for the victory. If their fans choose to whine, so be it. You don't here their coach or players whining or making excuses. Let it rest. Accept the win and leave it be.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                    Here is an article from the Argus pertaining the the ruling:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...701180351/1002

It looks as though Terry tried to get an explanation about the discrepancy in the rule from the NCAA but didn't receive a comment.

This is the most compelling part of the article and still leaves some question in the rule:

There is a difference between 0.0 - as the clock at Williams Arena read - and 0.00.

The NCAA women's basketball office did not return a call seeking comment. Broderick said that beginning this season, each school is required to have a clock that counts 10ths of a second.

It's her understanding, then, that the game ends at 0.0. When asked about the contradictory wording within the NCAA rule, she said, "I don't even know if that's ever been brought to their attention."

That lack of clarity is a problem, according to SDSU's coach.

"Unfortunately, I think even though they find an incorrect application, I think it's reasonable for a normal person to read that and be confused," Johnston said. "That's not to say I think it's right or wrong, but as I read the rule book, it's confusing."
                    There is also an extra piece in the paper edition of this article that isn't contained in the online version. Terry contacted an engineer at Daktronics and he said the shot wouldn't have counted if the game had been in Frost. The engineer stated the LED light should go off exactly when the clock reads 0.0 and that is the way Daktronics boards function. He goes on to say this is the rules of NBA, NCAA and everyone else.

This is the best evidence for me. If the rule was not applied correctly then why on earth would the light go off AFTER the clock reaches 0.0. That is something the U of M should seriously consider.

So one could argue the lack of updated equipment in Williams arena cost the Gophers this loss.
                    This is rich. The Gophers would have won if they had Daktronics scoreboards in Williams Arena.

Somebody call the Daktronics sales staff, quick! ;D
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

photo's from the game. Included two of the faulty scoreboard (not a daktronics board)

http://web.mac.com/shesse/iWeb/FBCPhotos/SDSU.html

to gopher fans (not sure if they come) please contact white way and tell them how much you love there scoreboard (the scoreboard in the "Barn&quot

http://www.whiteway.com/index.html

contact daktronics for a new scoreboard (I see you have a daktronics video board)

http://www.daktronics.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X