• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Recruits

Never too early

Sports Factory: Harrisburg 8th-grader turning heads

Dave Martin
    damartin@argusleader.com "She's just an eighth-grader, but she's the real thing."

That's how Harrisburg girls basketball coach Terry Fisher described Lindsey Johnson, his talented, 6-foot forward.

Saturday night, Johnson dumped in 23 points to go with 13 rebounds in a 66-62 win over Tri-Valley in Colton.

It was her best scoring output of year, and her first double-double. She's not a starter but is the team's second-leading scorer.

"She's got good moves inside, and at 6-foot, she can put the ball on the ground - and she's not a bad ball-handler either," Fisher said.

Since the Tigers don't have a true center, Fisher said she plays inside but also ends up out front at times.

"She's a very good athlete, with natural quickness and speed," he said, noting that this past spring she qualified for the state track meet in the 100 hurdles, just missing the finals.

Johnson says the best part of her game is her ability to box out and her shooting. She gives credit for that to her siblings.

"All my brothers were wrestlers, but they really helped me with my shooting and they toughened me up a lot," she said. "And my sister taught me how to box out."

Johnson has been playing basketball since the second grade, and it has turned into a year-round activity.

She plays in two summer leagues and attends several camps each summer.

"The fact that she plays so much basketball in the summer has helped her become the player she is," Fisher said. "She is at the level where a lot of juniors are at now."

Fisher said her biggest weakness is her physical strength, but he said, "She's a fighter, she's really spunky and she really goes after it."
Working...
X