Male practice players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Male practice players

Just curious as to what people think about the proposed ban on male practice players by the WBCA. It would apply to NJCAA, NCAA, and NAIA. I think it is because of the Ivy League schools crying around again because they CHOOSE not to do things. Notice that everytime the NCAA coaches associations attempt to "ban" something, the Ivy League schools are always in the mix. They want a ban on text messaging, well hello! If you don't want to do it then why try to bring everyone else down. It's not all the other schools' fault that the Ivy's CHOOSE not to offer scholarships, that they CHOOSE not to have a conference tournament, that they CHOOSE not to have male practice players. Anyway, I think it hurts the women's game because they made women more tougher mentally and a lot of these women grew up playing pick-up ball with their brothers and fathers and learned the game. Does this effect SDSU women or is it a non-issue?

Re: Male practice players

The women do use male practice players, so yes this would effect us.

Comment

Here is a really good article on this topic. It sounds as though D-III will vote on this issue in 2007 and the fear is that D-I and D-II will follow. It sounds as though the ban has little to no support from the coaches. They feel using male practice players only helps female athletes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?id=2701428

Comment

Clearly using male practice players has helped SDSU. Our women have made the jump to D-I without missing a beat, I think largely due to how we practice. SDSU's women are more physical and aggressive than many teams. Practicing with men has a lot to do with that.

I don't understand why the NCAA would want to get into this issue. Who cares how you practice? If a coach wants to have his players look at clouds all day and envision winning that should be his choice. If a coach wants her team to practice against trained apes, that should be her choice. Another example of too much regulation by the NCAA.

Comment

SDSU has used male practice players all the way back to when Nancy Neiber was the head coach. I have known many of the players very well and they would almost certainly tell you that it made them better.

I read the ESPN link and the idea that this is some sort of Title IX violation is just ludicrous. Using the male practice players allows the team to simulate game conditions against players that are bigger and stronger than what they will see in the game. If this is eliminated, I highly doubt that women practice players would be used because it wouldn't provide the intensity that would make the team better.

This would definitely be one change where Title IX would have gone too far!

I would love to hear what AJ's thoughts on this are. Maybe Brad and Scotty can ask them about it.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I'm mixed on it. One one hand, I don't see a problem with using men's practice players, men are more physical in certain ways than women, that is a fact. If teams want to take advantage of that, it is fine.

However, some rules in sports are made to make the playing field equal. In this circumstance if it is hard for whatever reason for certain teams to use men's practice players, than this rule would give everyone an even start.

Hopefully they look at the facts and keep the gender emotions out of it.

Comment

Lots of discussion of this on the Women's Hoops Blog http://womenshoops.blogspot.com/

From what I can tell, almost every women's basketball coach from Pat Summitt on down wants to keep using male practice teams.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The recent NCAA convention in Orlando on Jan. 5-6 dealt with this issue at the D-III level.  That is where all this rukus has started but it is feard to bleed into D-II and D-I if passed.  It was decided more information is needed on this issue so it has been sent back to the membership council at this time.  
                Here is an article on what was discussed at the convention:
                http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4g3NPUESYGYxqb6kW hCjhgihqYeCDFfj_zcVH1v_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAE3AuRw!!/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfMTVL?WCM_GLOBAL_CO NTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/NCAA/NCAA+News/NCAA+News+Online/2007/Division+III/Delegates+defer+action+on+male+practice+players%2C +seek+data+-+01-15-07+NCAA+News

Comment

SDSU has used male practice players all the way back to when Nancy Neiber was the head coach. I have known many of the players very well and they would almost certainly tell you that it made them better.

I read the ESPN link and the idea that this is some sort of Title IX violation is just ludicrous.  Using the male practice players allows the team to simulate game conditions against players that are bigger and stronger than what they will see in the game.  If this is eliminated, I highly doubt that women practice players would be used because it wouldn't provide the intensity that would make the team better.

This would definitely be one change where Title IX would have gone too far!

I would love to hear what AJ's thoughts on this are.  Maybe Brad and Scotty can ask them about it.

SUPERBUNNY[/quote]

I don't recall the year I played for Neiber using male practice players in practice, rather I think it started AJ's first (full) year or his second year coaching.  The first male players were a cousin to one of the players and some of his friends.  

The "guys" did play a huge role in SDSU WBB the years I played.  They did a great job of simulating the oposing team's offense/defense etc.  These same guys were also some of our biggest fans.  I will never forget them dressing up and cheering from the front row at the National Championship games.   I am actually still very good freinds with some of them.

I will also say, not any guy can just walk into the gym and become a practice player.  AJ does have certain requirements.  One of the most important is no blocking shots or out of control play that will cause any player an injury.  AJ also expects them to be committed and willing to work in practice.  He's not afraid to get after them if they aren't performing up to his standards.

Comment

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...18/1004/SPORTS
                    an interesting read!

Comment

Four page article on the subject..here is a preview:
                      Barron, whose Princeton squad was co-Ivy League champions last season, said he used male practice players sparingly his first two years. He ended the practice because it was impractical and because he couldn't get beyond his philosophical opposition to it.

Princeton does not give out athletic scholarships, and Barron has 17 players on his roster. He can't understand why those schools that can provide 15 scholarships to female basketball players don't do so, but he thinks he knows why.

"One of the reasons they don't have to use them is they are allowed the male practice players," he said.

Stringer, who has used male practice players for 36 years, sees the merit of Barron's argument but has a counterpoint.

"Is anybody happy being the 15th player and not playing? People want to play," said Stringer. "I'd rather have 10 people that can play. I want the better athletes. I don't want to look at 15 people, and numbers 13, 14 and 15 are upset, saying, 'Where's my time?'"

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...amp;thispage=1

Comment

Lord, save us from Ivy League philosophy . . .
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                        X