Clear All

• Attendance story

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...702130336/1002

Crowd-pleasers
    Jackrabbits set to outdraw men's team

By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    Published: February 13, 2007

It's not a competition that the squad is concerned about winning, but the South Dakota State women's basketball team is on pace to beat the men's team at the gate.

With three regular-season dates left at Frost Arena, including one against rival North Dakota State, the Jackrabbits women (18-5) are averaging an actual attendance of 2,119 per home game. The men (5-19) are at 2,049 with two games remaining.

The SDSU women have never before topped their male counterparts over the course of a season and only five women's teams of the 332 in NCAA Division I did that last year: Texas Tech (11,935 per game), Baylor (7,717), Louisiana Tech (3,079), Maine (1,759) and Hartford (1,503). All but Louisiana Tech are again outdrawing their men's programs this season.

Official attendance statistics for the current season will not be available until its conclusion.

"It's just not a contest to see who can get more between the men and the women," SDSU women's coach Aaron Johnston said. "I'm proud of where we're at compared to the other women's teams, that's the issue."

The Jacks finished 62nd in attendance at 1,905 last year, up from 1,473 and 83rd place the year before. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Attendance story

Even though I don't particularly like reading about the men's lack of attendence, because it is embarrassing to me as a fan, the guys shouldn't be embarrassed about it at all, as far as I'm concerned it's a "fair-weather fan" problem...
    Having the women's basketball team on the front page of the Argus sports section twice in one week is a very welcome change!!

Once again...great job Terry V!!

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80
      Even though I don't particularly like reading about the men's lack of attendence, because it is embarrassing to me as a fan, the guys shouldn't be embarrassed about it at all, as far as I'm concerned it's a "fair-weather fan" problem...
      Having the women's basketball team on the front page of the Argus sports section twice in one week is a very welcome change!!

Once again...great job Terry V!!

Go Jacks!!
      With the direction this womens team is headed with the talent they have goin into conference play next year. I couldnt imagine it getting any less. Only growing more in time when more people relize how special the womens program is around here.

Also Terry is a blessing from the argus this year. Its nice reading a story about SDSU that is good instead of the stupid stuff Stu comes up with.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It does not suprise me that the women are drawing more fans than the men. I have several friends that refuse to go to a mens game but will drop what they are doing to attend a womens game. I get frustrated sometimes because they do not realize that students at a game can influence the outcome. They don't want to go because they don't think we will win, but they don't do their part. Like Vogal said, a large crowd gets the team going. The women's team has benefited from the solid attendance this year.

It is exciting to see the women drawing these numbers, keep it up fans! ;D

Comment

Great story.

I have to agree with the comments about Terry. I've always been disappointed in the Argus' coverage of SDSU, but Terry has done a great job. He is a good writer and really represents SDSU well. Hopefully he stays around for awhile

Comment

Working...
          X