Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016-2017 " too early " bracketology

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
    I don't disagree. Right now it looks like the Sydney's and Lexi are in position to be our main bench performers at this point.
    If Lexi grows from how she finished last year will be a huge plus. Her D and ball handling were always pretty good, but her scoring was her weakness, I felt she really finished the season better offensively. Really I am only worried if Ober or Ellie get into foul trouble early, or injury. Having Wade would have been a great addition, to bad that didn't work out. To bad Stevens and Larson aren't available, If they were This team would be unstoppable. The depth is actually the only thing I think this team is lacking right now says capt obvious.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think we will see that spot minutes for Flaata. She has improved her court awareness and she has been where she needs on loose balls and rebounds. Her speed is also a strong point for her size where she can get some time to help defensively and burn a few fouls on that side. Graettinger should also be a an option if and when she is back playing. I would assume she is staying in condition to be ready for playing time. I would expect we have a few more bench minutes this year than last, but the Creighton game may not be the game we see that happen. Lexi and Sydney P likely will get the lion's share of reserve time as Flaata and Tracy get to test the waters.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Not all OOC games are going to be battles ,out of the 13, we have about 5 or 6 we can take a breather,still good teams, but not at quite the same level as the others.We need that .

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          I think we will see that spot minutes for Flaata. She has improved her court awareness and she has been where she needs on loose balls and rebounds. Her speed is also a strong point for her size where she can get some time to help defensively and burn a few fouls on that side. Graettinger should also be a an option if and when she is back playing. I would assume she is staying in condition to be ready for playing time. I would expect we have a few more bench minutes this year than last, but the Creighton game may not be the game we see that happen. Lexi and Sydney P likely will get the lion's share of reserve time as Flaata and Tracy get to test the waters.
          The problem I have with Flaata is she is a player who is at her best inside of 5 feet when no one can get a body on her. Once any of those conditions change, she becomes significantly less effective. The number of times I've seen her bump someone and just lose the ball is far too much for an inside player. And if she does draw a foul on someone and get to the line, it's not like she is going to make a decent percentage of those. I agree she is going to get minutes, but the whole time we are going to be hoping she can just not hurt us until Ober checks back in.

Comment

The problem I have with Flaata is she is a player who is at her best inside of 5 feet when no one can get a body on her. Once any of those conditions change, she becomes significantly less effective. The number of times I've seen her bump someone and just lose the ball is far too much for an inside player. And if she does draw a foul on someone and get to the line, it's not like she is going to make a decent percentage of those. I agree she is going to get minutes, but the whole time we are going to be hoping she can just not hurt us until Ober checks back in.
            I agree. She has shown improvement since 1 year ago and I would expect the parameters of her game will bring more good things than bad. Otherwise, when we see her disappear from minutes...more bad things would have happened or someone else is shining ahead of her for QT.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I wouldn't be too quick to jump to final judgement on Flaata. Sometimes bigs take two to three years to develop. Katie Lingle really struggled her first two years. We will see if Flaata can develop into a contributor this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                If Lexi grows from how she finished last year will be a huge plus. Her D and ball handling were always pretty good, but her scoring was her weakness, I felt she really finished the season better offensively. Really I am only worried if Ober or Ellie get into foul trouble early, or injury. Having Wade would have been a great addition, to bad that didn't work out. To bad Stevens and Larson aren't available, If they were This team would be unstoppable. The depth is actually the only thing I think this team is lacking right now says capt obvious.
                I don't think the Jacks expect or need Alexander to be a scorer. If she can come in and run the offense and handle pressure without turning the ball over and play good defense, she will be filling her role well. Any points she scores will be a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  I like Lexi because she has some quickness that the rest of the team doesn't have but you have to take the good with the bad. She was the only guard that had more turnovers that assists. Macy, Kerri, Madison, Gabby, Chloe and Sydney all had more assists than turnovers. Lexi is better when she takes the ball to the basket but hopefully she improved her shot some. If she can start to hit more from outside, she will add another weapon for this team but her main jobs should be handling the ball and pressuring the ball on defense.
                  I think Lexi and Sydney are the givens for the bench players that will get time. I do expect one or two freshmen to come in and add some meaningful minutes. Last year, other than Madison, SDSU didn't have that. I don't see two classes in a row where they don't have somebody step up. That might be Tracy getting a lot of time and Megan getting spot minutes to spell the posts.
                  It is too bad that this team doesn't have Wade, Stevens or Larson. That would make this team have a third post players that could arguably be a starter. That way you could have Palmer as the fourth post and all the other players stay in the 1-3 rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                    I wouldn't be too quick to jump to final judgement on Flaata. Sometimes bigs take two to three years to develop. Katie Lingle really struggled her first two years. We will see if Flaata can develop into a contributor this year.
                    I completely agree. The problem is that Flaata is going into her 4th year now, so I expected to see a little more improvement in her offensive game by now. Obviously, 2 games into the season is too early to judge and so I was just making an observation based off 2 (meaningless) games. I reserve the right to change my mind based off what I see as the year goes on...

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                      I like Lexi because she has some quickness that the rest of the team doesn't have but you have to take the good with the bad. She was the only guard that had more turnovers that assists. Macy, Kerri, Madison, Gabby, Chloe and Sydney all had more assists than turnovers. Lexi is better when she takes the ball to the basket but hopefully she improved her shot some. If she can start to hit more from outside, she will add another weapon for this team but her main jobs should be handling the ball and pressuring the ball on defense.
                      I think Lexi and Sydney are the givens for the bench players that will get time. I do expect one or two freshmen to come in and add some meaningful minutes. Last year, other than Madison, SDSU didn't have that. I don't see two classes in a row where they don't have somebody step up. That might be Tracy getting a lot of time and Megan getting spot minutes to spell the posts.
                      It is too bad that this team doesn't have Wade, Stevens or Larson. That would make this team have a third post players that could arguably be a starter. That way you could have Palmer as the fourth post and all the other players stay in the 1-3 rotation.
                      On Lexi, everything you said is accurate. Also, combine that with the fact that she shot just 32% from the floor and barely over 50% from the line. And typically, her shots were wide open looks. I understand she will get minutes, but if we want to say we have a deep bench, then having a player who is strictly a defensive presence and ball handler then I'm not sure qualifies. I think she has the ability to do much more than what she has in the past, but I guess the big question is will she? I really hope so.

As for Palmer, I don't see her as a post player. She is a big strong kid, but she really plays much more like a 3 or a stretch 4. She has the ability to post up in the match up favors it, but I don't see us making her the rotational player for Ober. If we do, it is going to be another less than ideal situation like we had last year when we were running a point guard at the 3-4.

My thoughts anyway. Hopefully we see some big growth in some of the younger players and they can come in and provide quality minutes, not just minutes.

Comment

On Lexi, everything you said is accurate. Also, combine that with the fact that she shot just 32% from the floor and barely over 50% from the line. And typically, her shots were wide open looks. I understand she will get minutes, but if we want to say we have a deep bench, then having a player who is strictly a defensive presence and ball handler then I'm not sure qualifies. I think she has the ability to do much more than what she has in the past, but I guess the big question is will she? I really hope so.

As for Palmer, I don't see her as a post player. She is a big strong kid, but she really plays much more like a 3 or a stretch 4. She has the ability to post up in the match up favors it, but I don't see us making her the rotational player for Ober. If we do, it is going to be another less than ideal situation like we had last year when we were running a point guard at the 3-4.

My thoughts anyway. Hopefully we see some big growth in some of the younger players and they can come in and provide quality minutes, not just minutes.
                        Yeah Palmer will sub at 3 or 4, and then young moves to 4, or keep Ober or Thompson in at the 5. I think Lexi had really improved as the year went on last year, so I would expect to see her get plenty of mintues and hopefully her scoring continues to improve.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Charlie Creme has us a 10 seed, playing in South Bend, playing Arizona St. Not sure we are a 10 seed but its nice to see the respect we get.

Comment

What the hell?! usd has been at a 13 seed the past few weeks. That's what I would figure for either school if one of them represents the Summit. (Men, a solid 15 for whoever wins.)
                            Rollin' in my 5.0
                            With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                            Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                              What the hell?! usd has been at a 13 seed the past few weeks. That's what I would figure for either school if one of them represents the Summit. (Men, a solid 15 for whoever wins.)
                              RPI/Massey

SDSU: 39/38

USD: 60/72

The benefit of playing a very tough OOC schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                                RPI/Massey

SDSU: 39/38

USD: 60/72

The benefit of playing a very tough OOC schedule.
                                Sagarin: SDSU (49), USD (82)

Comment

Working...
                                X