bracketology,best guesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bracketology,best guesses

I think the jacks will get anywhere from a 11 seed (high) to a 13 seed(low).Using Charlies best guesses as a guide,keeping in mind he's only about 90% accurate ,I've compiled a list of possible opponents we might draw,for a first round game, seeded in the following order,13 seed,12 seed,11 seed.Here it is.....again ,this is based on how accurate Charlie will be compared to what the NCAA selection committee decides.
    13 seed at
    Bridgeport Region.........Fla St #4 seed (Tallahassee,Fla )
    Lexington Region....Stanford #4 seed (Stanford,Ca)
    Sioux Falls Region....Texas A&M #4 seed (College Station,TX)
    Dallas Region........Syracuse #4 seed (Syracuse, NY)

12 seed at
    Bridgeport Region....Miss St #5 seed (Tallahassee,Fla)
    Lexington Region......DePaul#5 seed (Stanford,Ca)
    Sioux Falls Region....Mich St #5 seed (College Station, Tx)
    Dallas Region.......Florida #5 seed (Syracuse,NY)

11 seed at
    Bridgeport Region #6 seed....BYU (Columbus,OH)
    Lexington Region #6 seed....W. Va (Louisville,Ky)
    Sioux Falls Region #6 seed....Tenn (Tempe,Az)
    Dallas Region #6 seed......Miami,Fla (Lexington,Ky)

This is only as accurate as Charlie is accurate.Being SDSU is such a draw for attendance,I think the Selection committee will make every effort to put SDSU Jackrabbits in the Sioux Falls Region.But I listed the other Regions just in case that doesn't happen.
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-09-2016, 01:01 PM. Reason: added info

Re: bracketology,best guesses

Another method of finding out who we might play,is just using the rankings and figuring out what seed we might be.Use the formula that a no.1 seed is most likely ranked teams 1-4,a no.2 seed is 5-8,#3 seed are ranked teams 9-12,next four is next seed,etc,etc.This works for the first 6 seeds anyway.

Then all you have to do is match according to 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14, 4 vs 13, 5 vs 12, and 6 vs 11. Seeds 10,9,8,7 I guess you could try and figure out by RPI I suppose,others receiving votes,bracketology sites,etc.

So, if we are a 13 seed, we'd get paired with a 4 seed ,so using just the top 25 poll rankings,we'd likely play any one of the teams ranked 13-16.Use both polls to get a more complete list........Easy.

Seeding is just another word for ranking,IMO......unless the selection committee doesn't think the top 25 rankings are correct, one is the same as the other.They make it more difficult than this I know, but this is a good basic idea of who we're likely to face in rd one.We can get in the ballpark anyway.This is how I figure it,you've probably got your own way of figuring it out.
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-09-2016, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Please note that coaches or ap rankings don't necessarily play in seed. Jacks were a 7 seed as a 15th ap rated team in 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
        Please note that coaches or ap rankings don't necessarily play in seed. Jacks were a 7 seed as a 15th ap rated team in 2009.
        Yep, and it was total BS to. No one knows what the selection committee is actually going to do, not even the selection committee knows

Comment

I'm cynical enough to suspect that the committee will put SDSU as a 12 or 13 seed in the Sioux Falls region, and under-seed another team to be the other 12/13, just to maximize the chance of SDSU making it to Sioux Falls.

Probably as a 12 so that SDSU doesn't have to play a host school in the first game, and then the committee will hope-not-hope that the 13 will knock off the host 4 seed.

In this specific case, it actually works out to SDSU's advantage, but yeah, I really am that cynical about the NCAA selection committees' "unbiased" deliberations.

Did I mention I'm cynical?
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            I'm cynical enough to suspect that the committee will put SDSU as a 12 or 13 seed in the Sioux Falls region, and under-seed another team to be the other 12/13, just to maximize the chance of SDSU making it to Sioux Falls.

Probably as a 12 so that SDSU doesn't have to play a host school in the first game, and then the committee will hope-not-hope that the 13 will knock off the host 4 seed.

In this specific case, it actually works out to SDSU's advantage, but yeah, I really am that cynical about the NCAA selection committees' "unbiased" deliberations.

Did I mention I'm cynical?
            I'm overly cautious,and with a low expectations threshold to insulate me from any traumatic disappointments,cynical almost looks good......j/k

Comment

We'll be a 14 playing in some far away land at the opponent's home court.
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                Bingo.
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

We need at least one win this year,everything after that is gravy,too many times we've come away empty handed.The program could use the boost.This group seems intent on doing just that,they'll give it their best shot,I'm totally convinced of that.If all goes well,and they feed off it,it could be even more.Anxiously awaiting the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                    Which would be total bull****.

Our losses were to RPI 1,8, 23, 61 (twice), and 127. We've beaten a top 30 RPI team.

This team deserves a 12. They've played some of the best in the country better than most teams.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      Which would be total bull****.

Our losses were to RPI 1,8, 23, 61 (twice), and 127. We've beaten a top 30 RPI team.

This team deserves a 12. They've played some of the best in the country better than most teams.
                      Completely agree. This team hasn't been blown out yet this season. I think the biggest loss of the season was against Notre Dame by 11. The Jacks have a 12 seed resume.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                        We need at least one win this year,everything after that is gravy,too many times we've come away empty handed.The program could use the boost.This group seems intent on doing just that,they'll give it their best shot,I'm totally convinced of that.If all goes well,and they feed off it,it could be even more.Anxiously awaiting the outcome.
                        Gabby pretty much said this at the post game presser from the title game. Something to the effect of one-and-done is getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                          Gabby pretty much said this at the post game presser from the title game. Something to the effect of one-and-done is getting old.
                          The expectation of this program has elevated. Now the new expectation is winning a game(s) in the big dance. SDSU is 1-6 all-time in the NCAA Tournament. It's time to raise that winning percentage.

Comment

Central Michigan, who Charlie Creme has as a 12 seed, was upset by Buffalo in the MAC championship game. Creme has SD State as a 13 seed. Not sure why Creme had Central Michigan seeded higher than SD State, but their loss should help the Jackrabbits chances of moving off the 13 seed line.
                            USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                              Central Michigan, who Charlie Creme has as a 12 seed, was upset by Buffalo in the MAC championship game. Creme has SD State as a 13 seed. Not sure why Creme had Central Michigan seeded higher than SD State, but their loss should help the Jackrabbits chances of moving off the 13 seed line.
                              I agree,there are only so many teams that can be considered for a 12 seed,the more contenders that lose,the better for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X