X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU WBB 2015 NCAA Tourney

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    And it wasn't pretty.
    True. I imagine Oregeon St. will have a whole lot more weapons on the perimeter than ORU did. ORU was a one-woman show. Once we shut her down it was relatively smooth sailing.

There's no question that a couple of our players are going to have to be shooting lights-out from the perimeter in order to win this one. We'll need something well beyond ordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      True. I imagine Oregeon St. will have a whole lot more weapons on the perimeter than ORU did. ORU was a one-woman show. Once we shut her down it was relatively smooth sailing.

There's no question that a couple of our players are going to have to be shooting lights-out from the perimeter in order to win this one. We'll need something well beyond ordinary.
      A few buckets on the inside would help too,it'll take a team effort once again. I don't think they'd want it any other way.

Comment

How big is their big? Like compared to mcintire. Traditionally that's been our biggest issue is really big post players.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          How big is their big? Like compared to mcintire. Traditionally that's been our biggest issue is really big post players.
          Listed as 6'6"(Hamblin, just about 4 blks a game),with a 6'5"(Gulich) for backup minutes. Weisner and Wiese for Oregon State have taken over half the teams three point shots this season (363-673),and for good reason,they both shoot around 42%. The next two highest percentages,33%(Gibson) and 30%(Hanson).That's about the extent of their three point shooting threat. Top (3) scorers (G) Weisner, ( C) Hamblin, (G) Weise (only double digit)This team reminds me a little of BYU last year with Hamson.A couple good shooting threats and a big Center.Got to use the backboard and stay out of her reach.We've won against teams with big centers before,Amanda Zahui B (Minn),Natalie Butler for Georgetown,Stratman for Butler, Waldner for Penn State,just have to play our game.
          Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-17-2015, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Yes, a fast paced, transition buckets would be a Jacks paced game. Half court, most of shot clock possessions would be a Beaver paced game. Info that I've gleaned about Beavers WBB is that they are a defense first, pound into the big, and then pass out for the 3's shooters if collapse onto Big inside.

Jacks will need to keep the ball out of Hamblin's hands, and collapse in to keep her from backing in for buckets. She's a bigger, stronger McIntyre type player. Much closer in skills to Cody Larson than anyone that Jacks WBB played this season. And the 2 guards who both hit > 40% of their 3's, need to stay glued to them when Hamelin gets ball in post. Whatever damage the other two on court do is the compromise. Fully expect that all 4 of Jacks bigs will have 3-4 fouls by end of game. Hopefully, Hamblin can get fouled out, but it'll be a tough go.
            Last edited by rabidrabbit; 03-18-2015, 09:49 AM. Reason: Correction of Hamblin

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
              Yes, a fast paced, transition buckets would be a Jacks paced game. Half court, most of shot clock possessions would be a Beaver paced game. Info that I've gleaned about Beavers WBB is that they are a defense first, pound into the big, and then pass out for the 3's shooters if collapse onto Big inside.

Jacks will need to keep the ball out of Hamelin's hands, and collapse in to keep her from backing in for buckets. She's a bigger, stronger McIntyre type player. Much closer in skills to Cody Larson than anyone that Jacks WBB played this season. And the 2 guards who both hit > 40% of their 3's, need to stay glued to them when Hamelin gets ball in post. Whatever damage the other two on court do is the compromise. Fully expect that all 4 of Jacks bigs will have 3-4 fouls by end of game. Hopefully, Hamelin can get fouled out, but it'll be a tough go.
              And interestingly enough, like ORU ,are prone to turn the ball over (264th) ,-2.17 TO margin. So ya, hurry them up and make them pass a lot.
              Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-18-2015, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                And interestingly enough, like ORU ,are prone to turn the ball over (264th) ,-2.17 TO margin. So ya, hurry them up and make them pass a lot. If it's strictly half court game, the advantage will be with OSU. They make excellent lob passes, we'd have to front Hamblin and someone tight behind her would take that away, but at the expense of having to use two of our five defenders on just her. Don't know how that would work out, all game long .Getting offensive rebounds help even things out quit a bit, rebounding in general, steals, keeping them from becoming comfortable, just playing scrappy.We need to use our depth.
                Perhaps we see the return of Cornemann and Alexander in a full-court press type of defense? It sure gave Oral Roberts fits in the Summit League Tourney. I'd expect we have a depth advantage, hopefully we can up the pace and tire them out.

Comment

SDSU WBB 2015 NCAA Tourney

Speaking of our bigs picking up fouls.... Over/under four minutes of game time before Clarin sits down with two fouls? I think Ober is going to have the best game of her career if we are going to keep it close.

If we can find some way to steal a win it will be very worthy of any hype it gets.

One thing that gives me a little hope is that a very average Colorado team just beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                    Speaking of our bigs picking up fouls.... Over/under four minutes of game time before Clarin sits down with two fouls? I think Ober is going to have the best game of her career if we are going to keep it close.

If we can find some way to steal a win it will be very worthy of any hype it gets.

One thing that gives me a little hope is that a very average Colorado team just beat them.
                    Wish Stuart would have remained healthy this year, she had good quick post moves ,any direction, had a long reach and knew how to use the glass against opposing bigs, keeping just out of reach and still getting a good shot attempt off. Clarin hits a few jump shots,and that helps .Ellie and Clarrissa have to be involved also. Colorado had a player go 5-5 on threes in that game you mentioned, the Buff's went 6-9 ,66% on threes. OSU also made 6 -3's, but it took them 31 shots to do it, they made them waste a lot of possessions right there,for the points they got. Contest every three attempt, they keep shooting them wether they fall or not. Colo stayed ahead for the whole game,that makes them (OSU) put pressure on themselves.We can do the same thing, we don't have to feel pressure, unless we do it to ourselves. I hope we don't do that.The pressure should be off this team ever since we won back the NCAA Tourney bid.
                    Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-18-2015, 10:01 AM.

Comment

We have to dominate the defensive glass. They are completely satisfied throwing 3's and if they miss' the big is great @ getting the second Chance points.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                        We have to dominate the defensive glass. They are completely satisfied throwing 3's and if they miss' the big is great @ getting the second Chance points.
                        That and they are #2 in the country in defensive rebounding,so we are very likely to get just one shot per possession ,so we can't compound that problem with also giving them second chances on their end.

Comment

IMHO, for us to have a chance we need to play solid defense and need Macy Miller to be at her best on the offensive end by being aggressive and making things happen with dribble penetration that can get her shot, create opportunities for others, and get to the charity stripe. We need to go right at those big gals and get them in foul trouble.

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                            The SDSU women are sporting these new shoes during the NCAA tournament.

Hope these become our "lucky shoes"

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                              IMHO, for us to have a chance we need to play solid defense and need Macy Miller to be at her best on the offensive end by being aggressive and making things happen with dribble penetration that can get her shot, create opportunities for others, and get to the charity stripe. We need to go right at those big gals and get them in foul trouble.

SUPERBUNNY
                              I don't know if their posts can block shots like McIntyre but it will be interesting driving in against them if they are. McIntyre has 4, 9 and 12 blocks in her games against us. In our game in the Summit League Tournament against ORU, she had a block on the first possession of both the first and second halves. In those three games McIntyre only had 1, 3 and 3 fouls. We drove in and she blocked shots and didn't get into foul trouble. I really think we have to attack them on the inside some and hopefully our bigs will hit a couple of free throw line to 3-points shots to get their bigs out of the lane.

The post before this one points out that they are #2 in the country in defensive rebounding. It seems that when most people block shots, they want to throw them in the stands. That would count as an offensive rebound so either they don't block a ton of shots or they keep them in play.

Comment

Sure hope the team from the Arkansas game shows up in Corvallis, the one with the composure, confidence and calmness about them to not get rattled and found the way to win against seemingly impossible odds, down 9 pts with :27 sec left. The one who refused to give up a hard fought double digit lead in the Summit League Tournament Championship game too. Even the team that found it's way against ORU ,down 9 pts at one time in the second half, to come back and win by 11.I don't count this team out, not when I've witnessed them play with so much competitive fire so many times. Should be a fun game, but the players will have their game face on, I'm sure of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X