X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits vs. Coyotes

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Similar demeanor!
    I respectfully disagree. Mulkey is a one-of-a-kind, a professional griper. USD Coach Williams may have been working the refs but she's not like Mulkey, not even close. For example, every post-game interview I've seen of Williams shows Williams paying a compliment to her opponents. She's always had nothing but good things to say about the Jacks and Coach AJ. I think she's a classy coach and a credit to the Summit League. Mulkey: candidate for worst person in the world award. Mulkey was offended that she had to play the Jacks and she knew that everyone who watched that game saw (1) the Jacks get jobbed by the refs because she was working them over so hard; and (2) the most glaring show of poor sportsmanship with the way she substituted a great free throw shooter for the poor one with the feigned leg injury who had no trouble jumping around to celebrate barely beating the Jacks. Game still ticks me off.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      I respectfully disagree. Mulkey is a one-of-a-kind, a professional griper. USD Coach Williams may have been working the refs but she's not like Mulkey, not even close. For example, every post-game interview I've seen of Williams shows Williams paying a compliment to her opponents. She's always had nothing but good things to say about the Jacks and Coach AJ. I think she's a classy coach and a credit to the Summit League. Mulkey: candidate for worst person in the world award. Mulkey was offended that she had to play the Jacks and she knew that everyone who watched that game saw (1) the Jacks get jobbed by the refs because she was working them over so hard; and (2) the most glaring show of poor sportsmanship with the way she substituted a great free throw shooter for the poor one with the feigned leg injury who had no trouble jumping around to celebrate barely beating the Jacks. Game still ticks me off.
      Your thoughts on Coach Williams are spot on. Coach Williams has found a way to win at USD and that is to her credit and to our rival USD. I too think its an overstatement to group her with Mulkey. A granddaughter of my best friend is married to distant relative of Coach Mulkey. This person is a deputy sheriff in western Montana but hardly knows the coach, just the blood relationship. He too is competitive not in same way. I have forgotten the game to be honest. I just think its unfair to dump Williams into the Mulkey camp just because she had conversations with the refs? Did any have an ear in those conversations? Body language tells you nothing and often gives one the wrong impression.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Your thoughts on Coach Williams are spot on. Coach Williams has found a way to win at USD and that is to her credit and to our rival USD. I too think its an overstatement to group her with Mulkey. A granddaughter of my best friend is married to distant relative of Coach Mulkey. This person is a deputy sheriff in western Montana but hardly knows the coach, just the blood relationship. He too is competitive not in same way. I have forgotten the game to be honest. I just think its unfair to dump Williams into the Mulkey camp just because she had conversations with the refs? Did any have an ear in those conversations? Body language tells you nothing and often gives one the wrong impression.
        So you don't think if they walk like a duck? I see it both ways. On court very similar how they act and work the refs of the court very different. So maybe if they walk like a duck but maybe don't both talk like a duck.....which then I have no idea what you have.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Unfortunately some may think that the comparison of Amy Williams to Kim Mulkey was an unfair thought. It was not intended to be some psychological comparison. It was a behavior that was on display during the game. From the beginning, Coach Williams was continuously ranting at the refs. If you watched the student section near the yote bench, they were reacting to her antics with the refs. That is action/reaction to be seen empirically. If that gamesmanship is being used like I have seen in the past-i.e. Mulkey, that is the comparison I used. It does not diminish the talent Williams has a coach or recruiter or quality of game plan. However if this type of behavior sways one ref in a critical junction of the game, I would be most dismayed that the officials would be swayed by the continuous antics from a coach. That could be interpreted many ways in a gamesmanship direction, but it should not be jumped on as a purely ethical critique of Coach Williams.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            sim·i·lar
            ˈsim(ə)lər/
            adjective
            [COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]
              resembling without being identical.

Comment

Nice win by the Rabbits. i thought they had a solid gameplan and really limited and took away some of things the coyotes like to do on offense, especially on Contreras. Jacks really took her out of her comfort zone and she had to work for everything. Like many of you have said, officiating was bizarre, but did not have an impact on the outcome. Jacks played and looked like the better team today. Hoping for an all SD final in a few weeks. Lastly, I for one dont really get the criticism or poor comparisons on Coach Williams. She's fiery, passionate, and competitive as hell, players love playing for her. She works the refs like that in alot of games, as do a lot of coaches on the mens side. She's a woman so she isnt supposed to do the same or whats the problem? Cripes, do you remember Coach Lavin?

Comment

*deleted by filbert*
                Last edited by filbert; 02-23-2015, 11:21 AM. Reason: Smack in non-smack thread

Comment

*deleted by filbert*
                  Last edited by filbert; 02-23-2015, 11:22 AM. Reason: smack in non-smack thread

Comment

*deleted by filbert*
                    Last edited by filbert; 02-23-2015, 11:23 AM. Reason: deviation into smack in non-smack thread being deleted
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Really liked the effort we played with especially on defense in this game. No better example than when Clarissa Ober exemplified that effort with her blocked pass attempt, and, rather than just let Loeffler go back and get it and bring the ball back, she went after it and tied it up. By the reaction of Loeffler, it seemed she didn't expect it.

They all watch film and if we've never showed that before, they get a little bit lazy especially when they're feeling a little tired,and it cost them. Not saying Loeffler was lazy ,all players do this to a certain extent, try to conserve their energy during a long ,drawn out , exhausting game. That was sheer effort and it fires up your team mates not to mention the crowd.

We need those shots of adrenalin every once in awhile in hard fought contests, one player can fire up the whole team with those type effort plays,especially when the team seems to start getting a little flat and playing uninspired. Disagree it was meaningless, because the alternating possession toggled to the Jacks for the next tie up, sometimes that next tie up can happen at crucial times ,and to have that next tie up possession, gives you another chance when you might really need it. Nothing done with great effort is meaningless, not when it has the effect of firing up the whole team and giving them a little more energy and determination when they're feeling tired, that means a lot and can be a real game changer.

My favorite memory of this type of effort was when Ketty Cornemann ,in the Gonzaga game, literally dove to tip a pass late in the game to Jill Young I believe, who happened to be our best FT shooter in stressful situations, who gave us the points to put the game away.This type effort isn't drawn up on a clip board,it just happens spontaneously, and frankly, has to happen that way,by super competitive players who know when something like that is needed ,and they just do it without thinking ,but rather rely on reflex action and just do it.

A lot of basketball is observation, noticing players are getting lazy with passes, etc, knowing when a certain player becomes susceptible, and waiting for your opportunity , and just doing it. It's no coincidence certain players can continuously pull this off, they condition themselves to re-act much faster when they have it down pat and knowing which players are more likely to become your victim. Lazy passes are alway's noticed, don't think they aren't. Good players are sizing up their opponent every minute they are on the floor, looking for opportunities to exploit. If the defense is good, the offense is ill at ease with passing, etc, you can just sense they're struggling. Usually, that's when a team goes on a big run.

I'm rattling on too much....the end.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-23-2015, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        Seems many women's officials just refuse to allow any physicality in the game and they are preventing any kind of flow in the game. The officials are too much part of the game. Tyler even commented during men's game I hope this isn't officiated like the women's game.
                        don't remember which analyst it was, but, did hear him remark that the women's game is taking a hit (pardon the pun) with all the physicality WE ARE seeing. it was a national broadcast.

Comment

Jackrabbits lost by 3 in Vermillion without Watashek. (probably our best player)
                          Coyotes lost by 10 in Brookings without Heimiller. (starting PG, great defensive player)

Looks like it could be anyone's ballgame in the Summit Tournament. However, both teams would have to make it...and I don't think NDSU, IUPUI, IPFW, or Western will roll over.

The winner will be a worthy champion.

Coach Williams is a great coach. The Coyotes are lucky to have her. You may not like her sideline behavior, but pretty much only because she's successful. If they were last in the conference, no one would care.

Comment

Hemiller played 16 minutes on Saturday. She did not start. She did not appear too far from 100%. She plays with much intensity and quickness.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                              Hemiller played 16 minutes on Saturday. She did not start. She did not appear too far from 100%. She plays with much intensity and quickness.
                              Hemiller was well known on SD Sports Talk, which I read occasionally, as kind of a pit bull, of sorts, on the court. High energy level, never gives up, never lets go. I remember her first game against us , someone jokingly mentioned her hands shaking or something taking a free throw shot. Don't think they see that anymore. She turned out to be a good player for the Yotes.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                                Agreed. I'm from Watertown and watched Hemiller in high school. She has developed into a top-notch player in the Summit League. Very intense on defense, fights for rebounds. It appears her knee (I understand she had it scoped) is 100% -- she certainly played like it wasn't bothering her. She'll be tough in the Summit League tourney.

Comment

Working...
                                X