Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11/14 BYU

Players to Watch:
    Lexi Eaton: deep shot threat, scored 18 points against the Jacks last season and went 2-4 from 3.
    Morgan Bailey: best post player, had 13 points and 6 rebounds in the last meeting.

BYU returns three starters from last year’s team that had the program’s most successful season recording 28 wins, a second-place finish in the WCC, advancing to the championship game vs. Gonzaga. The Cougars received an at-large bid into the NCAA tournament, making an impressive run into the Sweet Sixteen before losing to eventual champion, Connecticut. SDSU won't have to worry about 6'7 Hamson this season due to her graduating last spring.

BYU went 1-1 in exhibition play losing to Westminester 54-59. The Cougars regrouped and toppled Ft. Lewis College 79-43.

Probable Starters:

BYU
    G 5'5 Maeda
    G 5'8 Morrison
    F 5'10 Garfield
    F 5'10 Eaton
    C 6'2 Bailey

SDSU
    G 6'0 Miller
    G 6'0 Young
    F 6'0 Waytashek
    F 6'0 Stevens
    C 6'1 Clarin

Re: 11/14 BYU

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
    Players to Watch:
    Lexi Eaton: deep shot threat, scored 18 points against the Jacks last season and went 2-4 from 3.
    Morgan Bailey: best post player, had 13 points and 6 rebounds in the last meeting.

BYU returns three starters from last year’s team that had the program’s most successful season recording 28 wins, a second-place finish in the WCC, advancing to the championship game vs. Gonzaga. The Cougars received an at-large bid into the NCAA tournament, making an impressive run into the Sweet Sixteen before losing to eventual champion, Connecticut. SDSU won't have to worry about 6'7 Hamson this season due to her graduating last spring.

BYU went 1-1 in exhibition play losing to Westminester 54-59. The Cougars regrouped and toppled Ft. Lewis College 79-43.

Probable Starters:

BYU
    G 5'5 Maeda
    G 5'8 Morrison
    F 5'10 Garfield
    F 5'10 Eaton
    C 6'2 Bailey

SDSU
    G 6'0 Miller
    G 6'0 Young
    F 6'0 Waytashek
    F 6'0 Stevens
    C 6'1 Clarin
    On a related note, we will have a 6'7" conference opponent we'll have to play against . ORU's Vicky Mcintyre, she can really rebound and occasionally score, or block a shot.. About time we get some size we can go against in the Summit. Can only help us in the future.

That said, she won't be quite like Hamson, who was really good at intimidation, and gave UConn plenty to think about in BYU's game with them in the NCAA Tournament
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-11-2014, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      On a related note, we will have a 6'7" conference opponent we'll have to play against . ORU's Vicky Mcintyre, she can really rebound and occasionally score, or block a shot.. About time we get some size we can go against in the Summit. Can only help us in the future.

That said, she won't be quite like Hamson, who was really good at intimidation, and gave UConn plenty to think about in BYU's game with them in the NCAA Tournament
      The ORU gal played 30 minutes of the exhibition game. She had 24 rebounds, 3 blocks and shot 7-17fg(4-8 ft) from field. The golden eagles shot 37% from the field.
      I looked at BYU roster and they have one starter at 6'2". The freshman who is 6'5" did not do much the first exhibition, but she collected 9 rebounds in the blowout exhibition game. They started a 3 guard lineup in both exhibition games. The exhibition game they lost did not show a deep rotation. In about 80+ hours the women will being starting the season at Frost.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Someone mentioned the home winning streak for the WBB... They have the fifth longest current streak at 21.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Take it for what its worth: BYU is ranked #1 in the College Insider Poll and ranked #14 in ESPN Mid-Major Poll. SDSU is ranked #10 in the College Insider and not ranked (only went top 15) in the ESPN Poll.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...or-top-10-poll
          http://www.collegeinsider.com/womens...jor-top-25.php

Comment

I would hope the football game on Saturday may boost some attendance on Friday night. 3000 may be a bit optimistic for attendance, but this game against the early #1 in the mid major should create some interest among the casual WBB fan.

Comment

Take it for what its worth: BYU is ranked #1 in the College Insider Poll and ranked #14 in ESPN Mid-Major Poll. SDSU is ranked #10 in the College Insider and not ranked (only went top 15) in the ESPN Poll.

Also,even with Hamson last year, I don't believe BYU beat Gonzaga,... and in this years College Insider poll ,they have BYU #1 and Gonzaga #2. Maybe Gonzaga lost some key players besides their coach.

This game reminds me a little like the second time we played Gonzaga. It was the lead off game for the season too, I believe. Wonder if it will be as hard fought as that game was.

I researched BYU's schedule, they beat Gonzaga once in the three meetings the two teams had last year.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                Also,even with Hamson last year, I don't believe BYU beat Gonzaga,... and in this years College Insider poll ,they have BYU #1 and Gonzaga #2. Maybe Gonzaga lost some key players besides their coach.

This game reminds me a little like the second time we played Gonzaga. It was the lead off game for the season too, I believe. Wonder if it will be as hard fought as that game was.

I researched BYU's schedule, they beat Gonzaga once in the three meetings the two teams had last year.
                No Graham Hay's spotting yet? Even though SDSU didn't show up on his top 15 as a choice, I'll note that the Jackrabbits did show up in the list, three times, as tough OOC games for those teams that SDSU is playing (BYU, Marist, Green Bay). Middle Tenn has moved to a conference (C-USA?) considered "mid-major". It has been a great respect and honor between AJ and Rick Majeres? @ MTSU to have played as many times as Jacks/Blue Raiders. They have been a great litmus test team for the Jacks.

Comment

I still like the prospect of defeating the College Insider Mid Major #1 in Frost to continue the home winning streak. The Cougars pummelled the Jackrabbits at their place last year as we had no answer for the big girl Hamson(5 blocks with a double double). I would hope we have enough speed and the home court to make a game of it this year. They had 648 attendance last year. I expect more noise at Frost. Less than 36 hours to tip.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                    No Graham Hay's spotting yet? Even though SDSU didn't show up on his top 15 as a choice, I'll note that the Jackrabbits did show up in the list, three times, as tough OOC games for those teams that SDSU is playing (BYU, Marist, Green Bay). Middle Tenn has moved to a conference (C-USA?) considered "mid-major". It has been a great respect and honor between AJ and Rick Majeres? @ MTSU to have played as many times as Jacks/Blue Raiders. They have been a great litmus test team for the Jacks.
                    Rick Majerus is dead and is not the coach of MTSU. He coached men's basketball at Marquette, Ball State, Utah, and St. Louis.

Comment

I wish this wasn't the first game of the season as we have a young group of kids that are not sure of there rolls yet. Macy is going to be great but she is not leading the team on the floor - she doesn't take control of the huddle or direct the team. That is where we will miss Gabby the most in my opinion. The team only has one starter with a lot of experience and that is Waytashek. She will need to be more aggressive and take over some games. We have a lot of young individual talent - if AJ can get them working as a team by mid season - than watch out as we will be tough to stop. As individuals we are good, but as a team we could be great!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        Rick Majerus is dead and is not the coach of MTSU. He coached men's basketball at Marquette, Ball State, Utah, and St. Louis.
                        I think Rabid was thinking of Rick Insell, the long time coach at MTSU. There seems to be a mutual respect despite the lack of coverage his team received the last time they were in Brookings. I usually join a breakfast group that gets together early at Perkins. The coach and team showed up after we did, and I watched Coach Insell carefully scan the The Brookings Register for a story about his team, but maybe he was not looking for that, but instead he got a feature story about Milo Potas, a WW11 vet who helped restore some of the Harey Dunn paintings. Seems like later in the day the Jacks tramped the Blue Raiders bad on the court, but often wonder what he was reading in the Register that day. I think he loves Brookings.

Also Majerus succeeded Brad Soderberg former SDSU coach at St Louis. Other than that we can't claim any connections.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 11-13-2014, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack View Post
                          I wish this wasn't the first game of the season as we have a young group of kids that are not sure of there rolls yet. Macy is going to be great but she is not leading the team on the floor - she doesn't take control of the huddle or direct the team. That is where we will miss Gabby the most in my opinion. The team only has one starter with a lot of experience and that is Waytashek. She will need to be more aggressive and take over some games. We have a lot of young individual talent - if AJ can get them working as a team by mid season - than watch out as we will be tough to stop. As individuals we are good, but as a team we could be great!
                          We've got 'em right where we want them, at Frost, that'll make a big difference from the last time we played this team. They won't deny the post game as much either without Hamson. BYU will see a completely different team this time, how they handle it remains to be seen. Clarin has a lot of experience, and the bench has too. They can provide leadership and keep the youngsters calm and in the game.

Look forward to this game ,let's extend our home win streak.

Comment

I'll add one note about comparing the two polls, the CIT doesn't consider picks from the Atlantic 10 conference or the C-USA, ESPN does. The list of conferences the CIT takes picks from is always listed at the bottom of the page, as well as the voters .That is some of the difference between the two polls. That said, there are major differences.

Comment

I am looking forward to the game also and I do like the fact that this is a home game - much easier for the young talent. I agree that Clarin has experience but I have never thought of her as a team leader on the court. Last year I thought Steph, Gabby and Waytashek were more of the court leaders when things got tight. Hopefully she has those leadership qualities. The other two active seniors, Walters and Stuart do not have the same minutes - however, that does not mean they are not leaders. Having Ober, Stevens, Young and Chloe with experience will help - but they are going to have to play a much bigger part this year and continue to gain the experience that will be needed at the end of the season. I think this team will continue to get better as the year goes on - I really like Macy's game - but she is still a freshman and will have to learn to be vocal on the court which is not always easy. With her natual ability I am guessing it will come sooner than later. Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                              X