Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gabby

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
    She is going to be hard to replace and we'll certainly see the effects of her absence in all those tough early-season matchups.

However, this may ultimately make us even deeper at the guard spot by the time the tournament rolls around. The other three guards will have a lot more experience under their belts than normal. That is my attempt to put a positive spin on this, anyway.
    I agree with this.

Comment

I was really looking forward to see her defence in action this year. In the WNIT she matched up against some great guards from Indiana and Minnesota. She was our best on ball defender. Plus wasn't she in the hunt for getting on career steals list?

Comment

Get well soon Gabby

Comment

More shooting in the starting lineup
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            More shooting in the starting lineup
            At the point , getting the ball up the floor and defense mean more to me than shooting ability. And being a good shooter in high school often doesn't automatically carry over to the college game , especially with the non-conference schedule the Jacks face.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              At the point , getting the ball up the floor and defense mean more to me than shooting ability. And being a good shooter in high school often doesn't automatically carry over to the college game , especially with the non-conference schedule the Jacks face.
              Getting the ball up the floor without turning it over especially against tough non-conference foes has been an achilles heal with Gabby and others at the point the last couple of years. I think Macy Miller scoring ability will transition just fine into the college game.

Comment

Like Austin Summner,will Gabby be able to step back in for her final year as a senior should those that replaced her be playing well.Controversy,Drama,intrigue,.....are we having fun yet?
                I know, it's the nature of Fan boards to discuss,so it's fine within moderation.

Comment

Gabby has been very good at the point. Macy Michelson as a senior had 124 assists, 80 TO, 40 steals, and averaged 8+ points. Jill Young who had to assume the point as a senior had 63 assists,58 TO, 28 steals and 12+ points per game. Gabby had 95 assists, 85 TO, 85 steals, and 6+ points. Jill took 256 shots and 95 free throws, Macy had 168 shots and 57 free throws. Gabby had 210 shots and 63 free throws. Gabby's sophomore year was similar with a few more assists and only 196 shots. The point guard is not normally the top scorer in most college teams. It would be nice if had the female version of Nate Wolters. That would be different for the women's offense. Someone will step up for the time at the point like Jill Young did earlier. It may result in more scoring at that position, but it may not be what we ultimately need if the other stats dwindle. Gabby will be missed.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                    Gabby has been very good at the point. Macy Michelson as a senior had 124 assists, 80 TO, 40 steals, and averaged 8+ points. Jill Young who had to assume the point as a senior had 63 assists,58 TO, 28 steals and 12+ points per game. Gabby had 95 assists, 85 TO, 85 steals, and 6+ points. Jill took 256 shots and 95 free throws, Macy had 168 shots and 57 free throws. Gabby had 210 shots and 63 free throws. Gabby's sophomore year was similar with a few more assists and only 196 shots. The point guard is not normally the top scorer in most college teams. It would be nice if had the female version of Nate Wolters. That would be different for the women's offense. Someone will step up for the time at the point like Jill Young did earlier. It may result in more scoring at that position, but it may not be what we ultimately need if the other stats dwindle. Gabby will be missed.
                    Another trait of a good point guard is someone who can penetrate and dish off or drive and hit some free throws. Gabby hit 49% from the free throw line last year and don't believe she has ever shot better than 70% from the line. This is crucial in tight games when your point guard has the ball a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      Another trait of a good point guard is someone who can penetrate and dish off or drive and hit some free throws. Gabby hit 49% from the free throw line last year and don't believe she has ever shot better than 70% from the line. This is crucial in tight games when your point guard has the ball a lot.
                      I would wager that some extra steals would be valuable in close games as well. Who will step up and bring that stat to the game? Defense is half of the game and there does not seem to be much concern of that gap. Giving up easy points might equalize a big scorer.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Gabby could pop a 3 if she felt it, or if they dont pay attention for a split second get a drive to the lane which she seems pretty good at when she gets the chance. she is fun to watch on D though. Hopefully Miller can have an impact quickly.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                          Getting the ball up the floor without turning it over especially against tough non-conference foes has been an achilles heal with Gabby and others at the point the last couple of years. I think Macy Miller scoring ability will transition just fine into the college game.
                          If my memory is correct , handling pressure defenses was a much bigger problem for the Jacks in those years between Michelson and Gabby than it has been during the last two seasons.

Comment

It's the opinion of more than a few that point guard has been the biggest weakness for this program for a while now. Gabby has worked hard and given her all, her effort on the court cannot be questioned. Her shooting is awful, that is a fact. Her penetration to dish or dump is limited as well. Her ball handling is just okay. Her defense is very good even though she is often a step slower than the opponents guard.

Losing Gabby is a big negative but it also opens up an opportunity for others to step up and give the team a new look. Chloe's game is limited as well, she doesn't shoot the ball well and her experience is very limited. I think the freshmen are going to have to step up and fill what is a huge void now that Gabby is down for a while.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

We should check the numbers on the awful shooting stats. Kerri Young shot 15 times more than Gabby last year and she shot .396 while Gabby shot .395. The lineup was Waytashek at .373(most shots on the team at 316), Paluch at .406(301 shots), Clarin at .462(253 shots), Stevens at .391(128 shots), Heiser at .426(141 shots), Strop at .365(126 shots), Ober at .432 (139shots) and the under 100 shot people with Stuart at .457, Chloe at .379, and Walters at .383.
                              After reviewing the stats, we need a perspective of what some are hoping comes true in Year 1.

http://www.gojacks.com/fls/15000/sta...B/teamcume.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                                We should check the numbers on the awful shooting stats. Kerri Young shot 15 times more than Gabby last year and she shot .396 while Gabby shot .395. The lineup was Waytashek at .373(most shots on the team at 316), Paluch at .406(301 shots), Clarin at .462(253 shots), Stevens at .391(128 shots), Heiser at .426(141 shots), Strop at .365(126 shots), Ober at .432 (139shots) and the under 100 shot people with Stuart at .457, Chloe at .379, and Walters at .383.
                                After reviewing the stats, we need a perspective of what some are hoping comes true in Year 1.

http://www.gojacks.com/fls/15000/sta...B/teamcume.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a very good shooting team, probably the biggest reason they didn't have the same level of success as in previous years. The fact they all shot poorly doesn't change anything. The team, as a whole, will need to shoot better this year.

I don't think anyone is trying to infer that losing Gabby is a good thing, if they are then I disagree. She is a great player, team leader and an important part of the success the Jackrabbits have had. However, she is hurt and she is not available. Time to find out what some of the other point guards have to offer.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for Gabby (I have a daughter by the same name, she will be very disappointed when I tell her the news).
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X