Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to womens basketball if AJ leaves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens to womens basketball if AJ leaves?

This confronts the issue of AJ deciding to leave,hope he doesn't,but if it does happen.

This is the scary part of athletics,facing the great unknown.Finding a good coach,at the mid-major level is a crap shoot,it's much less risky at the major conferences level,as they start the pool at a far greater number of coaches with experience and have much better resume's .What concerns me most is will AJ leaving dry up our Minn recruiting,that we rely on so much currently?Will AJ want to close the boarders?Did our current players sign on mainly because of the University,or the coach (program)?Lets face it,AJ is has been the face of SDSU womens basketball since the D1 move.I think AJ would remain classy and not take any of our team with him,even though he could use them at Minn.I think our current players would want to remain together too,can't see this tight knit group wanting to splinter apart.

Will the next coach be able to carry on with Minn recruiting,or even have a desire to do so?Or even SD recruits,with USD now Div1.Everything could change or nothing could change.Coaching changes will be disruptive,no doubt about it,but to what extent?How much will it affect the program and how well will our current players adapt to changes?The sheer number of questions with no definitive answers is somewhat troubling.

Re: What happens to womens basketball if AJ leaves?

If it comes to pass that there is a coaching vacancy with the SDSU women's basketball program, then Justin Sell will get his biggest opportunity to date to hire a coach that can build off of a successful foundation. The Jacks have earned and built a reputation as a solid mid-major program, and Sell will be able to attract a good list of candidates to fill the position.

It is very simple actually. We will thank AJ, wish him luck and go find an excellent coach to continue the success of the program and continue to build it from here.
    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Yeah,guess i worry too much.New coach,different coaching methods and recruiting models used etc.Guess i like the security of the status quo,but,like i said,it's a crap shoot at this level.But i like your confidence everything would work out,and we'd pick another winner.Whoever follows AJ will have some mighty high expectations from all us spoiled fans.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        Yeah,guess i worry too much.New coach,different coaching methods and recruiting models used etc.Guess i like the security of the status quo,but,like i said,it's a crap shoot at this level.But i like your confidence everything would work out,and we'd pick another winner.Whoever follows AJ will have some mighty high expectations from all us spoiled fans.
        How about Gary Monsen as a replacement? That's right he is an old guy like me. Well don't know what will happen if AJ leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          How about Gary Monsen as a replacement? That's right he is an old guy like me. Well don't know what will happen if AJ leaves.
          Not old, but well experienced !!

Comment

Or better yet, Gary Munsen. But no, not Gary Munsen.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
              Or better yet, Gary Munsen. But no, not Gary Munsen.
              Why not he is from Mitchell? He must be the greatest thing since sliced bread.. Just saying.

Comment

Why not he is from Mitchell? He must be the greatest thing since sliced bread.. Just saying.
                I think he's enjoying retirement. Spending more time with family/grandkids.

Comment

Glad he's enjoying retirement but no one can seriously think Munsen would even be briefly considered for that job. (were it to even exist)

Comment

How about Gary Monsen as a replacement?
                    How about Amy Williams?

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                      Glad he's enjoying retirement but no one can seriously think Munsen would even be briefly considered for that job. (were it to even exist)
                      It wasnt me that thought of munsen.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                        No I am not serious about Munsen, I was just trying to get reaction out of mitchellrabbit. Mission acompolished. I suspect I am guilty of smacking in a non smack thread. I don't think Munsen's circulatory system would never hold up for even one SL game.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                          How about Amy Williams?
                          I wonder if anyone can recall a school in our conference (either Summit League or the old NCC) hiring a head coach away from a conference-mate. Searching my memory of coaches going back to the early 70s, I cannot recall that happening. Augustana's Tom Billeter had coached at NDSU but he had several years in between the two jobs and when he came to Augie, NDSU had been in Division I for a few years.

Comment

Working...
                          X