WNIT,What's it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WNIT,What's it mean?

Yes, she seemed to miss the point. Winning that Summit tourney is absolutely the goal. No one would turn that down in favor of a bid to the WNIT.

However, it is easy to make the argument that a Final Four run in the WNIT did more good than yet another quiet one-and-done NCAA drubbing FOR SDSU. How many SDSU fans would have even turned on the game (spring weekend - up against the men's tourney) if it were another afternoon 13-4 matchup? I've seen the traffic those games get here on the forum, and it sure does not add up to our discussion of the WNIT experience. We had our best crowds of the year and drilled more big name teams in the process. That's pretty damn good for a consolation prize.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Re: WNIT,What's it mean?

Tupper was certainly making lemonade out of lemons with the article and delivering a certain amount of smack that was less than entertaining for the yotes. Miss Yackley made great points about the preference for NCAA play vs. the WNIT. She also redefined the situation that Tupper made about the games to follow. Kudos to the yotes for winning the Summit since there were not any other teams in the conference who have been to the dance other than the Jackrabbits until the ORU women return next year. David slays Goliath and enjoys the victory. However, the point Tupper made was that the Jackrabbits made the lemonade and enjoyed the nectar of continued attention of the local media and maybe a few headlines around the nation for those that might follow the women's game more closely than many in the Vermillion area. That may also turn a prospective player's attention to what happens in an off year for the Jackrabbits since they have been a D1 program. It was not a great year for the Jackrabbits, but it was a respectable year as we examine the attention of the final mid-major women's poll and I do not see any respect for the yotes winning the Summit Tourney there either. Maybe the preseason coaches poll will put the yotes on top for 2014-15....maybe??
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        I think Ms. Yackley is off base in her response to Tupper's article.

She seems to think that Tupper thinks that the SDSU players, coaches, administration, or fans PREFER the WNIT over a "one and done" in the NCAAs. Here is a quote from Tupper's opinion, which is the crux of his article:

"I contend that in terms of fan excitement and recruiting momentum, SDSU will benefit more from its WNIT run than USD will benefit from its single game in the NCAA tournament."

She should have formulated a counterpoint focused on why USD will benefit more from its one and done in the NCAAs than SDSU will from its WNIT run.

Instead, she focused on why "USD player prefers 'one and done' at NCAA". My response would be "yep, so does SDSU.".
        Well written, TK. You are exactly right.

I had a USD fan (a friend) try to make similar points right after the opinion piece was printed in the Mitchell paper. Fortunately, a computer was nearby and I challenged him to read what Mr. Tupper wrote. Not sure my USD friend got it. I suggested to him that he was a little sensitive to the Jackrabbits continuing to be in the news for a couple more weeks and that sensitivity clouded his ability to read (and think).

Lots of Yackleys are SDSU grads...good people.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I had a USD fan (a friend) try to make similar points right after the opinion piece was printed in the Mitchell paper. Fortunately, a computer was nearby and I challenged him to read what Mr. Tupper wrote. Not sure my USD friend got it. I suggested to him that he was a little sensitive to the Jackrabbits continuing to be in the news for a couple more weeks and that sensitivity clouded his ability to read (and think).

Makes sense for the SDSU faithful to defend the Tupper
          USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

There was a Bob Yackley who played bb around 1960-62 at SDSU. Definitely a ranch guy who belonged at SDSU. I suspect he was a grandfather to Blake, who played during the transition period. They are good people. No doubt, and JackJD might get his chance to face off in a courtroom with this young lady. Who knows? She did make some good arguments of which I don't agree. USD was one and done in last years WNIT where they not?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              There was a Bob Yackley who played bb around 1960-62 at SDSU. Definitely a ranch guy who belonged at SDSU. I suspect he was a grandfather to Blake, who played during the transition period. They are good people. No doubt, and JackJD might get his chance to face off in a courtroom with this young lady. Who knows? She did make some good arguments of which I don't agree. USD was one and done in last years WNIT where they not?
              USD played in the WBI last season and made a good run. They played in the WNIT 2 years ago though. They beat Drake and then lost to Colorado in the 2nd round.

I think the Yackleys are from Onida (Sully Buttes) where Chloe Lamb plays. I believe the are cousins?

Comment

USD was one and done in last years WNIT where they not?
                USD played in something called the WBI last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yotes played in then WBI last year, winning their first 2 games (both on the road) before being beat by McNeese State at home in the semi-finals. They played in the WNIT in 2012, winning at home over Drake in the first round and losing at home to Colorado in the second round. They also played in the WBI in 2011 picking up a home win over Idaho, but losing to Cal State Bakersfield in the second round.
                  USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                    Yotes played in then WBI last year, winning their first 2 games (both on the road) before being beat by McNeese State at home in the semi-finals. They played in the WNIT in 2012, winning at home over Drake in the first round and losing at home to Colorado in the second round. They also played in the WBI in 2011 picking up a home win over Idaho, but losing to Cal State Bakersfield in the second round.
                    Okay two and done, not much more can be said.

Comment

Would actually be 3 and done
                      USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                        I think Ms. Yackley is off base in her response to Tupper's article.

She seems to think that Tupper thinks that the SDSU players, coaches, administration, or fans PREFER the WNIT over a "one and done" in the NCAAs. Here is a quote from Tupper's opinion, which is the crux of his article:

"I contend that in terms of fan excitement and recruiting momentum, SDSU will benefit more from its WNIT run than USD will benefit from its single game in the NCAA tournament."

She should have formulated a counterpoint focused on why USD will benefit more from its one and done in the NCAAs than SDSU will from its WNIT run.

Instead, she focused on why "USD player prefers 'one and done' at NCAA". My response would be "yep, so does SDSU.".
                        Exactly right. She doesn't seem to grasp that Tupper is giving an opinion from a fans perspective and she,a players.

Comment

Wnit is no ncaa but its not something run down. Its a great second chance and what seems to chap usd is our deep run in it. If usd makes a deep run in thw wnit they will try to hype it up as muich as they can also. Making ito play in a packed house at utep and lose a close one to play rutgers no shame in that. I hope ms yackley is aware that sdsu has every intention to return to the ncaas next year but we enjoyed the ride we had this year.

Wonder why she didn't mention the 2 times sdsu beat usd this year in her write up. We were usds only big win. We had some impressive wins to go with some rough losses and even though we didn't win the summit turny we arguably still had the better year which usd will have a hard time accepting.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Wnit is no ncaa but its not something run down. Its a great second chance and what seems to chap usd is our deep run in it. If usd makes a deep run in thw wnit they will try to hype it up as muich as they can also. Making ito play in a packed house at utep and lose a close one to play rutgers no shame in that. I hope ms yackley is aware that sdsu has every intention to return to the ncaas next year but we enjoyed the ride we had this year.

Wonder why she didn't mention the 2 times sdsu beat usd this year in her write up. We were usds only big win. We had some impressive wins to go with some rough losses and even though we didn't win the summit turny we arguably still had the better year which usd will have a hard time accepting.
                            It's not even arguable who had the better year. Just look at the regular season standings, RPI, and resume. Don't forget the 2 head-to-head wins by SDSU. There's a reason why USD was a 15 seed while SDSU was projected a 12/13. I expect SDSU to return to the NCAA Tournament for the 6th time in 7 attempts.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                              It's not even arguable who had the better year. Just look at the regular season standings, RPI, and resume. Don't forget the 2 head-to-head wins by SDSU. There's a reason why USD was a 15 seed while SDSU was projected a 12/13. I expect SDSU to return to the NCAA Tournament for the 6th time in 7 attempts.
                              Still not surprised that the SDSU faithful continue to defend the "Tupper"
                              USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                                Still not surprised that the SDSU faithful continue to defend the "Tupper"
                                Usd won the summit and beat sdsu. Those are its only accomplishments. As great as the are it was not as good as a year as what sdsu had. Look and the teams we beat. Mid major rankings deep wnit run. All favors sdsu.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X