X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WNIT,What's it mean?

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    From the WNIT website:
    The host site for each game is selected by the WNIT committee based on several factors such as fan base, host bids, facility availability, tournament seed, travel constraints, etc. A team's desire or ability to host or not to host has absolutely no bearing on that team being chosen for the 64-team field.

If UTEP wins I think the Jacks are hitting the road...
    At 10pm tonight, we should know the home court for the semifinal game. It is likely we could be surprised again tonight where the Jackrabbits play. Go Jacks!!
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I wasn't aware that the WNIT seeded teams like the men's does. Have the seedings ever been made public ? Based on RPI's , one would think that the Jacks would be the highest seed remaining.

Comment

UTEP is expecting a crowd of 10,000 plus tomorrow. We need to pull for Washington to win.
        Wowzers. With 10,000+ for a women's basketball game in El Paso, Texas they deserve to host.

With that in mind - Go Huskies.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
          Wowzers. With 10,000+ for a women's basketball game in El Paso, Texas they deserve to host.

I agree. If the two bids are close (and UTEP wins), they, and their fan base, earned it.
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

I think that if UTEP gets that many fans they deserve to host but it is a lot closer than you realize. I know that Frost doesn't hold that many people but the money that is brought in is about the same. Let's say that UTEP has 10,000 fans at $8 a ticket. That would add up to $80,000. On the other hand if you have 4,000 people in Frost at $20 a ticket that would bring in the exact same amount of money ($80,000). We came really close to 4,000 fans for the last game so I think that more than that might show up for the next game if they get to host one.
            I don't have the slightest clue what type of basketball environment they have at UTEP but Frost does have that going for them if that factors in at all.

Comment

From the El Paso Times:

The WNIT doesn't have seeds, but if it did, the Washington women would have a small number next to their name.

The 20-13 record isn't glittering, but no one in the 64-team field has better wins. The Huskies beat Stanford when the Cardinal were No. 3 in the nation, probably playing a role in them settling for a No. 2 seed in the NCAAs. Washington beat No. 18 Cal, they scored 108 points against Oregon, they swept the Colorado team UTEP just beat and finished with a 10-8 record in the Pac-12.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                I think that if UTEP gets that many fans they deserve to host but it is a lot closer than you realize. I know that Frost doesn't hold that many people but the money that is brought in is about the same. Let's say that UTEP has 10,000 fans at $8 a ticket. That would add up to $80,000. On the other hand if you have 4,000 people in Frost at $20 a ticket that would bring in the exact same amount of money ($80,000). We came really close to 4,000 fans for the last game so I think that more than that might show up for the next game if they get to host one.
                I don't have the slightest clue what type of basketball environment they have at UTEP but Frost does have that going for them if that factors in at all.
                I'm well aware of the ticket $/revenue comparison.

The problem is UTEP had 8,200 for Colorado, and expect 10,000+ for Washington. What does that mean for a semi-final game if the trend continues?

It might just be a toss-up.

Comment

From the WNIT website:
                  The host site for each game is selected by the WNIT committee based on several factors such as fan base, host bids, facility availability, tournament seed, travel constraints, etc. A team's desire or ability to host or not to host has absolutely no bearing on that team being chosen for the 64-team field.

If UTEP wins I think the Jacks are hitting the road...
                  Also takes into account tournament seed. I'm not sure of the seeds, but SDSU is ten spots higher in RPI ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    Also takes into account tournament seed. I'm not sure of the seeds, but SDSU is ten spots higher in RPI ranking.
                    WNIT does not seed teams.

Comment

Would the Midco TV have any money to throw in for the television? There may have been another donor or sponsor available. We can hope for the best and support the Jackrabbits again if they land a home game for the semifinal.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

From the El Paso Times:

The WNIT doesn't have seeds, but if it did, the Washington women would have a small number next to their name.

The 20-13 record isn't glittering, but no one in the 64-team field has better wins. The Huskies beat Stanford when the Cardinal were No. 3 in the nation, probably playing a role in them settling for a No. 2 seed in the NCAAs. Washington beat No. 18 Cal, they scored 108 points against Oregon, they swept the Colorado team UTEP just beat and finished with a 10-8 record in the Pac-12.
                        Washington does look impressive. They have won 10 of the last 14 games. Two of those four losses came to top-25 teams (Cal and Stanford). Can they overcome that huge UTEP crowd? Their record tells me that they have a shot.

It looks like UTEP has not lost at home since mid-January (15-16 Charolette beat them). I don't see any top-25 teams on UTEP's schedule.

Comment

So I have been thinking about the topic of this thread, "What's it mean?".

Here are my thoughts. The yotes got bounced from the NCAA tournament two weeks ago and (in all reality) we probably would have too. Nobody in South Dakota has talked about them since that time. However, the Jacks have been one of the top stories for every news station in South Dakota for the past two weeks. However, outside of South Dakota and western Minnesota, nobody cares. You really have to look to find yesterdays scores on ESPN or Fox or CBSsports. But could the same be said if we had been a one and done in the NCAA tournament and been a 5 second blip on ESPN? The Jacks already own South Dakota so I'm not sure how much more cementing our reputation we can do.

I do think this has been valuable experience for our freshman in Stevens, Ober, and Young. All of them have made their mistakes and have also had brilliant moments. I can't help but think this experience will only benefit the team down the road more so than a one and done trip to the NCAA.
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Good lord El Paso has a population of around 675K, I would like to think if Brookings was a tenth of that we'd have had overflow watching the game on Dak screens in the barn. We have shown throughout the tourney there is no fear of the $20 ticket. I'd guess we have a 60% chance of hosting. Revenue being almost equal I'd think TCS likes the small town does good and electric atmosphere in Frost. Although I can't say to what the UTEP atmosphere is, I do like their arena, seats almost 12,000.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              WNIT does not seed teams.
                              So the WNIT website is incorrect ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                So the WNIT website is incorrect ?
                                I read through this really quick and didn't see anything about seeding teams. http://www.womensnit.com/postinfo.asp

They group teams largely by geography. Look at our 1/4 of the brackets almost all upper Midwest teams.

From the link above:

"2. First-round pairings are determined initially on team strength (i.e. a top tier team plays a bottom tier team; a middle tier team plays a middle tier team) and then may be adjusted with consideration to school location, conference, and prior meetings among teams, among other factors. See below for details."

They put teams into tiers but I don't think they rank them 1-64. The El Paso Times article says as much.

Comment

Working...
                                X