Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits vs the Fighting Irish

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Jessica Hart did the post-game radio interview and she certainly sounded defeated. Saw on Twitter that the team's flight home got canceled so they are now going to bus it back to Brookings. Let's hope that gets the same results as that famous mens bus ride to New Mexico a year ago.
    Let's hope so. The two games prior to last night were bad. Really bad. We should have at least been competitive.

Last night, well, I'm guessing most of that performance can be equated to just how good Notre Dame is.

Our program seems to have hit a plateau the last 3 years or so. Damn good mid-major that has the occasional upset of a ranked opponent. Lays eggs against teams they should compete with. More or less dominates the Summit League and advances to NCAA tourney where we get a 13-14 seed then get thumped.

Comment

I think it was Chad Lavin the USD former coach who was asked to comment on SDSU success at NCAA D1 women's basketball said that there was not that much difference between D2 and D1 in women's basketball. He was speaking from experience since he had coached Wyoming at the D1 level. I do not agree with Lavin, but I do think we got off on the wrong foot last night, and I would agree with TK22826 in that we can back away from the BIG LADIES Programs such as ND. Right not it seems like we are at a plateau, but we have been D1 less than 10 years and we need more time to develop our program. To borrow filbert's signature.
      I think we will be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Our program seems to have hit a plateau the last 3 years or so. Damn good mid-major that has the occasional upset of a ranked opponent. Lays eggs against teams they should compete with. More or less dominates the Summit League and advances to NCAA tourney where we get a 13-14 seed then get thumped.
        I agree, you hit the nail on the head. The uphill battle is that there is very little parity in women's hoops. There are the "haves" and "have nots". That's why the women's tournament is less exciting compared to the men's because there is such a large talent gap upsets rarely happen. In general, the same handful of teams make the Final Four every year. It's tough to envision a scenario like you had on the men's side where the underdog Butler ran the table and went to the title game 2 years in a row.

Unfortunately, as we experienced last night, the talent gap between the "haves" and "have nots" is significant. We have a long, uphill battle in front of us to start closing that gap. I trust AJ will keep us moving in the right direction if we can keep him around.

Comment

On a positive note. When Waytashek hit a three from deep with the shot clock running out the whole arena oohd and ahhd in appreciation of the shot. Dont know if that got heard over the radio or tv.

Comment

Can we make a jump from a very good mid-major team "have-not" to a top 10 overall team "have"? If so, do we need to recruit outside of where we currently recruit? If we do need to recruit nation wide, are we able to? If you were to go into a nationally rated recruit's living room and try to convince her and her parents that they should come to SDSU to play basketball, what would be your selling points? What do we offer that Notre Dame, Tennessee, etc can't? What can we do to improve those selling points? Would a big run in the WNIT do more to attract recruits vs losing in the first round of the big tourney? I have never read any articles about big-time girls basketball recruitment. I don't know what they look for (major offered, program success, possible WNBA development, good environment to grow as a person, warm weather, uniform design, etc), these are just some questions that popped into my head as I read through some of this thread.
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
              On a positive note. When Waytashek hit a three from deep with the shot clock running out the whole arena oohd and ahhd in appreciation of the shot. Dont know if that got heard over the radio or tv.
              Yeah it did. I thought that was cool. Notre Dame had a good crowd.

Comment

Working...
              X