2017 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Recruits

On Twitter: AJ just posted the usual "it's a great day to be a Jackrabbbit."

The recruit via the Minnesota Fury account is Lindsey Theuninck a PG from Mankato Loyala. As an 8th grader she lead her team to the state tournament.

http://mankatofreepress.smugmug.com/...0449&k=CzCgwRP

http://www.keyc.com/story/20878176/m...ep-of-the-week
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Re: 2017 Recruits

That's a lot of years before she wears a Jackrabbit uniform. Surprising to read about a kid, who hasn't had a day in high school yet, has verbally committed.

Comment

I have confidence that AJ and staff know what they are doing. That being said ,a lot can change in four years. A number of years ago the Gopher men signed a player out of Chicago (I believe his name was Stanley Gaines) who had been the top-ranked ninth grader in the country. By the time he graduated high school he barely made the top 200 and he never amounted to more than a role player in college. We need to remember that a verbal commit is not binding for either party.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
        That's a lot of years before she wears a Jackrabbit uniform. Surprising to read about a kid, who hasn't had a day in high school yet, has verbally committed.
        I could not imagine selecting a college before I even tried out high school! Nonetheless, I'm glad she chose SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          I could not imagine selecting a college before I even tried out high school! Nonetheless, I'm glad she chose SDSU.
          I too, would take this as a compliment to SDSU. She might be an eight grader, but appears to have developed skills beyond the eighth grade level.

Comment

Hopefully another Gabby Boever.She's got talent and is exhibiting it at an early age.Hats off to AJ and staff recognizing and acting before other schools get into the act.

Comment

She's in the ninth grade this year. (Yeah, I know, okay so she's a ninth grader and not an eighth grader....big difference - not!)

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                She's in the ninth grade this year. (Yeah, I know, okay so she's a ninth grader and not an eighth grader....big difference - not!)
                That's right, THIS YEAR, yes that does make a difference. She looks to have the potential to play.

Comment

I'm actually surprised AJ offers scholarships that young.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I'm not a bit surprised...AJ said earlier they were working hard on 2016 already. Recruiting against larger schools once a real talent gets well known is a tough business. If you can find somebody with talent (and she certainly has already shown plenty of that), it's good to get started early. And as was pointed out earlier, there is no legal obligation on either party in a verbal commitment. It will be fun to track her progress!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      I'm actually surprised AJ offers scholarships that young.
                      AJ may have been more surprised if you asked the same question 10 years ago. If the interest from the young gal is there and the talent is present, I would guess that we will need to be patient to see the outcome. Also, it seems the other programs in the Summit often are bringing in transfers and late signees only months ahead of basketball practice. Meanwhile the Jackrabbits have known who was showing up on campus almost a year(or 2+) ahead of time. It is also entertaining to watch the early commits have a good high school career knowing they may continue to contibute later at Frost.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I'm not knocking AJ. He knows what he's doing obviously. I would have guessed a girl going into her sophomore year would be his earliest offer. Obviously I would have been way off.
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

It sends a message to all the other recruiters in the same region that AJ means business!
                          Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

It's like when a pro team signs a young star to a long term discounted deal (think Tampa Rays and Evan Longoria). The team is betting on the star becoming a better player and worth more than the original long term contract. The star is giving up the possibility of more money in the future for security. Not quite a fully accurate analogy since verbals aren't binding, but the Jacks seem to be betting that if this youngster would have gotten offers from larger schools in the future. That's my guess, anyway.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                            X