Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracketology

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/bracketology
    I have a feeling this link could become very useful in trying to figure things out for the women's side of things.

Along with this for trying to figure out who we might be playing
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/standings

Not sure how they divide up the regions but here's my guess of who we could be playing:
    Missouri Valley
    Illinois State 11-5 18-9
    Evansville 10-7 18-10
    Northern Iowa 10-7 16-12
    Horizon League
    Illinois (Chi.) 11-3 18-9
    Big Ten
    Wisconsin 7-9 18-11
    Minnesota 7-9 15-14
    Mid-Con
    Oral Roberts 8-6 19-10

Just thoughts. The criteria is you have to have a .500 or better team, be willing to participate, or be the top team in your conference not to make the tourney.

Re: Bracketology

Here's the WNIT criteria.

http://www.womensnit.com/

From that article:

The selection of the 48 teams for the Postseason WNIT will be according to the following:
    1. Thirty-one (31) spots will be filled with one team per conference. That team will be the highest-finishing team in the conference’s regular-season standings, that does not advance to the NCAA Tournament. As in the past, the teams’ record must be at or above .500.
    For example, if the second-place team during the regular season does not win its conference tournament, and the top-seeded team does (and earns the NCAA berth), then the second-place team automatically will be invited to the WNIT.
    If the top-seeded team after the regular season does not win its conference tournament and is not invited to the NCAA Tournament, then it will have a guaranteed spot in the WNIT.
    No matter which team from a conference wins its conference tournament, the WNIT will take the next best team available. That team is determined by conference tournament seeding based on regular-season standings.
    2. The remaining seventeen (17) berths will be filled by the top teams available based on the selection criteria used in the past.

The Lady Jacks are part of that 17 berths.

Using the Bracktology (for at-large/multi-bid conferences) + the seedings (assume the #1 conference team loses in the conference final) here's the likely 48. (Using Sagarin's because of conference listing)

Jacks are rated 28. All possible WNIT PARTICIPANTS WITH 40 OR BETTER HIGHLIGHTED

American East - 71 Hartford or 122 Stoney Brook
    Atl 10 - 50 Xavier or 84 UNC-Charlotte
    ACC - 68 VA, 77 VA tech
    A-Sun 128 Belmont or 190 ETSU
    Big 12 42 Missouri, 53 TxTech, 60 K St.
    Big East 64 DePaul or 85 Seton Hall
    Big Sky 32 Montana or95 No AZ
    Big South 120 Liberty or 177 High POINT
    Big 10 45 Ill, 55 Wis, 57 IN 58 MN 63 PA St.
    Big West 102 UC-Riverside or 124 UCSB
    Colonial 37 Old Dominion, JMU or Del, 69 Hofstra
    C-USA 70 Tulane or 90 UTEP, 93 Rice, 94 SMU
    Horizon 46 UW-GB or 150 Ill-Chi.
    Ivy 176 Harvard or 185 Dartmouth
    Metro 75 Marist or 170 Loyola (MD)
    Mid Am 19 Bowling Green or 56 Ball St.
    MidCon 125 Oakland or 149 Oral Roberts
    MEAC 89 Coppin St. 219 Del St
    MoVal 86 Il St, or 88 SIU, 92 In St.
    Mt West 44 NM, 54 TCU, 61 BYU, 62 Wyo, 79 Utah
    NEC 123 Robert Morris or 147 Sacred Heart
    OVC 139 Murray St or 144 SE MO
    Pac10 29 Washington 49 USC, 67 OR
    Patriot 133 Army or 146 Bucknell
    SEC 43 UK, 48 SC, 59 ARK, 73 MS St.
    Southern 77 UTC, 81 Davison, or 98 WCU
    SLC 78 UT Arl or 143 SFA
    SWAC 233 Jackson St or 251 Prairie View
    Sunbelt 51 WKU, 65 ULL, 82 ARK St., 87 AR-LR, 96 Denver
    WCC 66 Gonzaga or 91 Loyola-Marymount or 99 USDiego
    WAC 83 Boise St. or 97 LA Tech

Every hilited team is likely to be dancing. But if not, SDSU still no worse than #5 overall seed. Highly likely to be the highest seed in the WNIT. ;D

Likely at Large
    ACC -1
    Big 12 - 2
    Ind - 1 (SDSU )
    Big 10 - 3 or 4 (Penn St. needs a winning record)
    Colonial - 1
    C-USA - 0 or 1
    Mt West - 2-3
    SEC 2-3
    Sunbelt 1-4

Comment

i'm not sure UNL from the big 12 may not be a wnit participant - currently 6 teams are 20+ wins and i don't think 6 teams will make it to the NCAA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierRabbit
        i'm not sure UNL from the big 12 may not be a wnit participant - currently 6 teams are 20+ wins and i don't think 6 teams will make it to the NCAA
        I would have to disagree latest bracketology shows them in...They would have to pull off a choke bigger than what the Vikings do on a yearly basis not to get in.

Comment

UNL has been in the Top 25 for a good part of the season.......

Comment

BHM says - Wisconsin has a better chance than the Gophers of a WNIT bid. Just because they are big 10 does not give the gophers an automatic pass to the WNIT.

RR comments - yes WIS is more likely to be in than MN. But MN still "fits" as part of the 17 best RPI teams NOT in NCAA's.

Ark St. appears to be the only team that Jacks lost to that may not get a bid to either tourney. They will be a bubble team, about where Jacks were last year.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
              [quote author=HoosierRabbit link=1172761478/0#2 date=1172873874]i'm not sure UNL from the big 12 may not be a wnit participant - currently 6 teams are 20+ wins and i don't think 6 teams will make it to the NCAA
              I would have to disagree latest bracketology shows them in...They would have to pull off a choke bigger than what the Vikings do on a yearly basis not to get in.

[/quote]
              losing 4 of their last 5 makes me think of the Vikingettes - but afterall  8-)i am a Bears fan

they will need to make a good showing in their tourney (semi-finals minimum) to have a sniff at the NCAA - just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierRabbit
                [quote author=thebluehatman link=1172761478/0#3 date=1172877420][quote author=HoosierRabbit link=1172761478/0#2 date=1172873874]i'm not sure UNL from the big 12 may not be a wnit participant - currently 6 teams are 20+ wins and i don't think 6 teams will make it to the NCAA

[/quote]
                losing 4 of their last 5 makes me think of the Vikingettes - but afterall  8-)i am a Bears fan

they will need to make a good showing in their tourney (semi-finals minimum) to have a sniff at the NCAA - just my opinion[/quote]
                Being a Browns fan I don't have to worry about them choking their season is usually done around week 4 or 5.

Comment

Here we go, WNIT Bracketology, Version 1.0.

I seeded the NCAA tournament first, then went through and picked out the WNIT teams, based on the highest non-NCAA teams in each conference with a .500 or better record, then filled it out with the remaning teams, as listed on the Vaporia ranking comparison (http://www.vaporia.com/sports/wcpage.html)

The bracket shown are by strict seed-by-rankings. I made no effort to adjust the brackets to reduce travel.

Four brackets, 12 teams each:
                  Bracket #1 (plays #4 winner in semifinals)
                  South Dakota State (#1 overall seed in the tournament), first round bye, hosts winner of William & Mary at Northern Illinois
                  USC, first round bye, hosts winner of Murray State at Charlotte
                  TCU, first round bye, hosts winner of Loyola-MD at Virginia Tech
                  Virginia, first round bye, hosts winner of Prairie View A&M at DePaul

Bracket #2 (plays #3 bracket in semifinals)
                  New Mexico, first round bye, hosts winner of UCSB at Louisiana Tech
                  Kentucky, first round bye, hosts winner of Stephen F. Austin at Illinois State
                  Indiana, first round bye, hosts winner of High Point at Oregon
                  Minnesota, first round bye, hosts winner of Delaware State at Kansas State

Bracket #3
                  Missouri, first round bye, hosts winner of Stony Brook at San Diego
                  Texas Tech, first round bye, hosts winner of Bucknell at Arkansas State
                  South Carolina, first round bye, hosts winner of Valparaiso at Seton Hall
                  Wyoming, first round bye, hosts winner of Harvard at Wisconsin

Bracket #4
                  South Florida, first round bye, hosts winner of Northern Arizona at UTEP
                  Hofstra, first round bye, hosts winner of Long Island at Davidson
                  Ball State, first round bye, hosts winner of Illinois-Chicago at Utah
                  Louisiana-Lafayette, first round bye, hosts winner of East Tennessee St. at Arkansas.

We shall see, but right now, according to most ratings, we should be the #1 overall seed in the WNIT. I'm reasonably sure we'll get a first-round bye (which, I believe, means we'll host at least second-round game).

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

someome indicated that NJIT didn't play enough DI games, thus their games aren't being considered like the 2 dII games we played

can anyone verify this ?

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                      [quote author=jacks1 link=1172854304/15#21 date=1172937179]I've noticed that the Greenfield RPI ratings (which I believe is used by the WNIT committee) do not recognize NJIT as a D-I team. Thus our wins versus them and our two D-II wins won't count. 19 wins is the best we can do using the Greenfield system.
                      Rank Prev Rank Name Conf W-L Road Neut Home Non-Div I
                      45 47 South Dakota St. Division I Independents 21-5 8-3 1- 1 10-1 2-0
                      http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weekly...07WBBrpi1.html
                      According to the official RPI used for the NCAA NJIT's games do count.[/quote]
                      That's what I have.

Comment

Well
                        http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/s...7/confsked#ovc
                        CONFERENCE USA
                        At Donald W. Reynolds Center
                        Tulsa, Okla.
                        First Round
                        Thursday, March 1
                        Game 1 - (9) Houston 71, (8) Marshall 58
                        Game 2 - (5) UTEP 84, (12) Memphis 75
                        Game 3 - (10) Tulsa 73, (7) Southern Mississippi 64
                        Game 4 - (6) SMU 79, (11) UCF 58
                        Quarterfinals
                        Friday, March 2
                        Game 5 - (1) Tulane 62, (9) Houston 55
                        Game 6 - (4) Rice 56, (5) UTEP 46
                        Game 7 - (2) UAB 67, (10) Tulsa 65
                        Game 8 - (3) East Carolina 76, (6) SMU 62
                        Semifinals
                        Saturday, March 3
                        Game 9 - (4) Rice 64, (1) Tulane 52
                        Game 10 - (3) East Carolina 85, (2) UAB 81
                        Championship
                        Sunday, March 4
                        (3) East Carolina vs. (4) Rice, 5:30 p.m. (ESPN2)
                        Conference USA mixed up the tournament picture as neither teams were predicted to make the big dance
                        NORTHEAST
                        At campus of higher seed
                        Quarterfinals
                        Saturday, March 3
                        Game 1 - (8) St. Francis (NY) 61, (1) Long Island 51
                        Game 2 - (2) Robert Morris 69, (7) Fairleigh Dickinson 55
                        Game 3 - (3) Sacred Heart 70, (6) Mount St. Mary's 67
                        Game 4 - (5) Monmouth 53, (4) Quinnipiac 58
                        Semifinals
                        Tuesday, March 6
                        Game 5 - (8) St. Francis at (2) Robert Morris, 7 p.m.
                        Game 6 - (5) Monmouth at (3) Sacred Heart, 7 p.m.
                        Championship
                        Saturday, March 10
                        Lower-seeded team at higher-seeded team, 3 p.m.
                        Also, the Northeast has tossed up the bracket.
                        PATRIOT LEAGUE
                        At Alumni Hall
                        Annapolis, Md. Quarterfinals
                        Saturday, March 3
                        Game 1 - (8) Colgate 69, (1) Bucknell 62
                        Game 2 - (4) American 68, (5) Navy 55
                        Game 3 - (7) Lehigh 57, (2) Army 53
                        Game 4 - (3) Holy Cross 64, (6) Lafayette 49
                        Semifinals
                        Sunday, March 4
                        (8) Colgate vs. (4) American, 1 p.m.
                        (3) Holy Cross vs. (7) Lehigh, 3:30 p.m.
                        At highest remaining seed
                        Championship
                        Wednesday, March 7
                        Semifinal winners, 6 p.m. (ESPNU)
                        Them Patriot leaguers have also made the picture a little more confusing.

The picture is becoming a little more clear as we come full scale to Championship week.

Comment

When more tops seeds get dumped in conference tourneys, the more difficult it will be for SDSU. I hope we rate high enough that wwe are probably already in, but nothing is a given.

Comment

ATLANTIC 10
                            At Cintas Center
                            Cincinnati
                            First Round
                            Friday, March 2
                            Game 1 - (9) Dayton 57, (8) La Salle 43
                            Game 2 - (5) Saint Joseph's 68, (12) Rhode Island 52
                            Game 3 - (10) St. Bonaventure 63, (7) Massachusetts, 60
                            Game 4 - (11) Saint Louis 69, (6) Richmond 61
                            Quarterfinals
                            Saturday, March 3
                            Game 5 - (1) George Washington 61, (9) Dayton 45
                            Game 6 - (5) Saint Joseph's 76, (4) Charlotte 64
                            Game 7 - (2) Temple 84, (10) St. Bonaventure 60
                            Game 8 - (3) Xavier 64, (11) St. Louis 63
                            Semifinals
                            Sunday, March 4
                            Game 9 - (5) Saint Joseph's 57, (1) George Washington 55
                            Game 10 - (3) Xavier 54, (2) Temple 53
                            Championship
                            Monday, March 5
                            (5) St. Joseph's vs. (3) Xavier, 5 p.m. (ESPN2)
                            Saint Joseph's is calling for attention now.

Xavier already had/has a spot for them in the tourney. The fun is just beginning.

Comment

The difference between this year and last year is that SDSU will almost certainly be at the top of the list of teams ranked by RPI available to the WNIT.

Last year we were on the bubble at the bottom, where conference tournament upsets and politics could both bump us out of the WNIT. I don't think that any upsets in the conference tournaments will significantly affect where SDSU is seeded in the WNIT. If we're not a first-round bye team there probably needs to be a Congressional investigation.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X