'12-'13 polling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '12-'13 polling

Jacks did not get a vote in this first one but you have to figure at least one of the three San Diego State votes were intended to be for the Jacks.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index...8625094b5d663c

Re: '12-'13 polling

The other SDSU has been quite successful the last two years in WBB, so not necessarily.

The Jacks, on paper, look like a team that shouldn't have the national success of say the 2008-2009 team that won a game in the NCAA tourney. Lost the two leading scorers, including the all-time leading 3's shooter, not just for the Jacks, but within the Summit League. Nobody who's clearly going to be a 1000 pt career points leader.

Jacks will do outstanding in the Summit, but (in National outlook eyes) isn't that due to not having ORU in the Summit. Can OU pull it together to challenge the Jacks? Is the schedule of the Jacks tough enough to warrant a top 25 for any record without a defeat, or 1 loss? If Jacks make it to Christmas with no more than 1 L, IMHO, they'll start getting votes.

Personally, I believe that this could be a team that matches the top 25 team of 08-09, because of Megan and Boever improved physical condition. Jacks will continue to run down other teams with the platoon system, and integrated/replaceable parts. When any of 8-9 women are the leading scorer of a game, no opponent can focus on one or two people to shut down.

Very excited to see how this season plays out.

Comment

I agree with your post. I also think this team will get better as the year progresses as players get use to their new roles. I think with some strong leadership from the seniors this team will be pretty good going into the end of the season. They may take a few lumps early on but this is a smart group of young women. Not to look ahead - but this soph group of girls are going to be good when they are seniors!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
        The other SDSU has been quite successful the last two years in WBB, so not necessarily.

The Jacks, on paper, look like a team that shouldn't have the national success of say the 2008-2009 team that won a game in the NCAA tourney. Lost the two leading scorers, including the all-time leading 3's shooter, not just for the Jacks, but within the Summit League. Nobody who's clearly going to be a 1000 pt career points leader.

Jacks will do outstanding in the Summit, but (in National outlook eyes) isn't that due to not having ORU in the Summit. Can OU pull it together to challenge the Jacks? Is the schedule of the Jacks tough enough to warrant a top 25 for any record without a defeat, or 1 loss? If Jacks make it to Christmas with no more than 1 L, IMHO, they'll start getting votes.

Personally, I believe that this could be a team that matches the top 25 team of 08-09, because of Megan and Boever improved physical condition. Jacks will continue to run down other teams with the platoon system, and integrated/replaceable parts. When any of 8-9 women are the leading scorer of a game, no opponent can focus on one or two people to shut down.

Very excited to see how this season plays out.
        I agree with what you say,but these are the teams we will have defeated except for the one loss you alluded to with your post.My point is,i think we start getting votes a lot earlier if we go through this schedule with only one loss.The schedule from now til Dec 25 is, in order:

Nov 10 Villanova (it would really get a flicker of notice if we win ,well recognized program in one of toughest conf. in the country)

Nov 11 winner U Minn or Wash St (heads start to turn if we win game one and game two,go 1-1 largely will not impress,o-2 and we're off the radar)

Nov 14 Creighton (made NCAA tournament,by winning conf AQ)

Nov 18 Nebraska (win here,regardless of earlier games ,heads will turn and ears will perk up,Neb.'s got a target,ranked team)

Nov 21 Northern ILL(both N ILL & Cent Mich are good strong mid-majors)

Nov 23 Central Mich (won over Purdue at home last yr , albeit sched snafu w/ND caused Purdue to play them 2 days after playing Notre Dame,i think,still ,good team)

Nov 28 Marquette (revenge game)

Dec 1 Middle Tenn St ( Receiving votes [70 pts,27 th ranked??]if we are undefeated to this point and win, definately ranked,we'd have Neb win also )(also revenge game)

Dec 4 Eastern Mich (another strong mid-major,NCAA tournament team last yr)

Dec 8 Northern Ia ( strong team)

Dec 16 Penn State ( ranked ,what 8th i think, this will probably be the loss you alluded to, but win this , we're definately ranked if we have mostly wins earlier in schedule)

Dec 18 Delaware ST

Dec 21 Georgetown (First rd winner NCAA Tournament last yr, lots of name recognition here,they could be ranked when we play them, or not)

So, as you can see, a lot can happen, or not, for ranking from now til Dec 25

All wins with this schedule,except for a handful, would be considered quality wins,something pollsters really like.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-31-2012, 10:32 PM. Reason: factual errors

Comment

I don't think there is any question that everyone who follows WBB closely is aware of the Jacks and the record they have put together at the D1 level. For those voting, if they looked at us hard at all and saw how much of our offense left with Young and Sunnarborg it is even more understandable that we didn't get any votes. The tough non-conference schedule will get us some attention if we win some of those games.

How fun is this year going to be for both WBB and MBB?

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
            I agree with what you say,but these are the teams we will have defeated except for the one loss you alluded to with your post.My point is,i think we start getting votes a lot earlier if we go through this schedule with only one loss.The schedule from now til Dec 25 is, in order:

Nov 10 Villanova (it would really get a flicker of notice if we win ,well recognized program in one of toughest conf. in the country)

Nov 11 winner U Minn or Wash St (heads start to turn if we win game one and game two,go 1-1 largely will not impress,o-2 and we're off the radar)

Nov 14 Creighton (made NCAA tournament,by winning conf AQ)

Nov 18 Nebraska (win here,regardless of earlier games ,heads will turn and ears will perk up,Neb.'s got a target,ranked team)

Nov 21 Northern ILL(both N ILL & Cent Mich are good strong mid-majors)

Nov 23 Central Mich (won over Purdue at home last yr , albeit sched snafu w/ND caused Purdue to play them 2 days after playing Notre Dame,i think,still ,good team)

Nov 28 Marquette (revenge game)

Dec 1 Middle Tenn St ( Receiving votes [70 pts,27 th ranked??]if we are undefeated to this point and win, definately ranked,we'd have Neb win also )(also revenge game)

Dec 4 Eastern Mich (another strong mid-major,NCAA tournament team last yr)

Dec 8 Northern Ia ( strong team)

Dec 16 Penn State ( ranked ,what 8th i think, this will probably be the loss you alluded to, but win this , we're definately ranked if we have mostly wins earlier in schedule)

Dec 18 Delaware ST

Dec 21 Georgetown (First rd winner NCAA Tournament last yr, lots of name recognition here,they could be ranked when we play them, or not)

So, as you can see, a lot can happen, or not, for ranking from now til Dec 25

All wins with this schedule,except for a handful, would be considered quality wins,something pollsters really like.
            Great lay out and discussion about the OOC challenges that the Jacks face. AJ has done an outstanding job of getting quality teams to play against, and going .500 will leave the Jacks in good stead for the SUmmit league play. Even if .250 OOC, Jacks should dominate the conference this season. Just don't see any other team with enough returning talent to beat the Jacks for the conference title. But for a mid-major to get top 25, Jacks will need another 30 game winning season.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack View Post
              I agree with your post. I also think this team will get better as the year progresses as players get use to their new roles. I think with some strong leadership from the seniors this team will be pretty good going into the end of the season. They may take a few lumps early on but this is a smart group of young women. Not to look ahead - but this soph group of girls are going to be good when they are seniors!
              I too can't refrain from looking ahead,it will be a special season for sure, besides this years sophomores who will be playing as seniors,we'll have Hart and Cornemann as experienced Jrs,China S,Kerry Y,Clarissa O , and Tiffaney Flaata as soph with one season under their belt,with incomming freshman K Severyn and M Miller,& Ellie Thompson.But , i think this years team will be very good this year with the proven leadership of this years seniors,can't wait for this years show to get on the road.

Comment

There are many, many quality opponents for the women this year. However, it would be very encouraging for noisy crowds for the Creighton and Nebraska games early. Both of those teams are picked for the top or near the top in their respective conferences. (There are many other games early in OOC that will be competitve-I know.) These games could be an early season barometer of confidence and skill for the team when they go on the East Coast run. SDSU needs and does lead the Summit in attendance, but bigger crowds EARLY will be a plus for the program that has been and will continue to be successful.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                X