Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015 recruiting

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Great team in the works. But we could use a big to help out on defense and rebounding against elite, tourney-level teams.
    We've still got two chances (two open schollarships) left.Hopefully one will be used for this purpose.We have Megan Bultsma comming up in 2016 at 6'3" also.

If I were a big,I'd want the type players around me we will have.

Ober,Clarin,Stuart, Thompson,Flaata are all great players,and have some size,but face an uphill battle against the 6'4" and > sized athletic players.
    Being quick like Clarin helps,Stuart's got great moves,Ober looks impressive as a Frosh,Ober and Stuart have the 3 pt shot going for them and Clarins getting good with the short jumper and fade away, Flaata and Thompson haven't played yet.
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 05-05-2014, 10:12 AM.

Comment

A "big" might be a great thing for the lineup, but I remember a few years ago when Texas A & M did well with Danielle Adams as the post at 6'1". She looked more like Polly harrington than Britany Griner. The last 3 games of her career were victories over Baylor, Stanford, and Notre Dame. I am not disagreeing that a taller player may not be a great benefit, but we could have enough strength already in the lineup. How many quality 6'4" and bigger posts will be graduating from high school this year? Then we need to get them to be on this team in Brookings, SD. I also agree that we often struggle against a big post player. If we could only duplicate the game against Penn State at Frost this year, that would be great as the Jackrabbits were quite small compared to PSU.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
        A "big" might be a great thing for the lineup, but I remember a few years ago when Texas A & M did well with Danielle Adams as the post at 6'1". She looked more like Polly harrington than Britany Griner. The last 3 games of her career were victories over Baylor, Stanford, and Notre Dame. I am not disagreeing that a taller player may not be a great benefit, but we could have enough strength already in the lineup. How many quality 6'4" and bigger posts will be graduating from high school this year? Then we need to get them to be on this team in Brookings, SD. I also agree that we often struggle against a big post player. If we could only duplicate the game against Penn State at Frost this year, that would be great as the Jackrabbits were quite small compared to PSU.
        Agree,having "shooters" is a great equalizer too,also shorter posts who can score,maybe not defend well,but score.Second half against Minnesota,we seemed to defend Zahui much better.

Taller players can concentrate better at just making their normal shot,the shorter player has to alter their shot.
        Unless they've developed ways to score against taller players.I think our post players are doing that.Heiser had a really quick shot off the glass,she could get the basket before the defender could react.

The bulk of the scoring on most teams doesn't come from one dominate post player anyway(except Griner ),look at UConn,they didn't rely on Dolson a whole lot,it was more about balanced scoring.A five pronged attack if you will.
        It's just nice to be able to get some points in the paint as part of a well rounded attack.

There are a lot of teams that just execute extremely well,timing passes and putting the ball right at the right spot at the right time consistently.These plays are hard to defend because they are well practiced and done perfectly every time.Notre Dame comes to mind. Every elite team has high percentage shooters on it also.I digress,I'm starting to ramble again,my apologies
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 05-05-2014, 11:42 AM. Reason: spell chk

Comment

Earlier in this thread we had a young lady Megan Gustafson on the radar for the Jackrabbits. Megan is a 6'3" post from Wisconsin who scores lots of points and grabs lots of rebounds. Is she still being pursued by the Jackrabbits? I am not finding offers on the web from any teams for this this young gal. She ought to be garnering some attention by now for offers.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            Earlier in this thread we had a young lady Megan Gustafson on the radar for the Jackrabbits. Megan is a 6'3" post from Wisconsin who scores lots of points and grabs lots of rebounds. Is she still being pursued by the Jackrabbits? I am not finding offers on the web from any teams for this this young gal. She ought to be garnering some attention by now for offers.
            http://www.5statehoops.com/page/show...egan-gustafson

http://www.wissports.net/roster_players/1319695

She won't decide for awhile yet,here's some info i dug up.Made second visit to Iowa State (unofficial),so she's showing alot of interest with them.Wouldn't be surprised if she chose that school.As you can see from the link above,she's got a lot of schools to choose from.

Comment

As a sophomore, Guebert hit 107 3's (51.4%). As a junior she hit 99 3's (49.5%). Good grief, those are video game stats...
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

What were Jill youngs 3 pt made and percentages? Frankly Guebert is the player i think we have missed the last year or 2. A true 3 pt deep threat. Like a Young or Rotert who could knock down 5 a game. sometimes this team seemsed to struggle with the 3 IMO.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  What were Jill youngs 3 pt made and percentages? Frankly Guebert is the player i think we have missed the last year or 2. A true 3 pt deep threat. Like a Young or Rotert who could knock down 5 a game. sometimes this team seemsed to struggle with the 3 IMO.
                  I think you are correct about a 3 pt threat We have had women who can knock down 3's, but we miss that slinger who is a threat every time the ball is in their hands and the defense is a step away. It certainly opens the games of other players if attention is focused on the perimeter. Guebert could have the quick release of a Rachael Banham or Jill Young to stretch the defense. The coaches are doing a good job of loading 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

Jills numbers are,as Sr 83-199 shooting 41.7%,Jr year,78-188 41.5%,Soph 62-169 36.7%,Fr 82-178 46.1%.
                    Career 305-734 ,41.6%

Good shooting by Jill,she has the school 3 pt shot made record at 305.

I expected that record to last a long time,but,we'll see if Madison can make a run at it,or surpass it.

Jill had good three point shooters around her,so they couldn't just focus on stopping her and leave others wide open,Rotert (made 250),Sunnarborg,Ketty, Oistad ,and others.It's harder to defend the whole arch than it is to defend just part of it.That helps a lot.

Maybe Madison will be surrounded with similar players who can shoot from the perimeter too,I can think of some right now,Chynna,Ober,Young ,Chloe.
                    Last edited by jackdaniel; 05-06-2014, 11:14 PM. Reason: spell chk

Comment

Madi Guebert(#40)14 pts. and her North Tartan teammates played recently in Chicago,here's a link to their game verses a NY team Exodus (w/ player Mabrey,ND commit).

What a great team NT has,too bad we couldn't recruit the whole team en masse,what a group of future stars,Wittinger (sp?) to ILL,Trammel to Mich,Burich to Colo,Oganbowale uncommitted,Hannah Stewart,Fredrickson,Starks,and all the rest. Just kidding

Madi had a great game,and the whole team went undefeated.For those who have never seen Madison play,it'll be a treat .It's the complete game,1 hr:13 min, if you watch the whole thing.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 07-13-2014, 11:28 AM. Reason: spell chk

Comment

This provides a little info on both the 2015 and 2016 classes. TV's blog post from today about the signees he watched at the recent tournament at the Pentagon.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/ter...acks/12680763/

I liked his opening comment about Mieras. A strong post will be a nice piece to go with the impressive 2014/2015 classes.

"Jessica Mieras, 6-foot-2, center: The O'Gorman upcoming senior is unlike anybody that's played for the Jackrabbits in the past 8-10 years in terms of providing a post presence. It's seems unlikely that she'll get pushed around on the block as was an issue on occasion the last couple of seasons."

Comment

Moved my post to 2016 Recruiting thread
                          Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 09-01-2014, 08:55 PM.

Comment

ProspectsNation.com named SDSU women's hoops recruit Madi Guebert the top long-range shooter in the national AAU circuit during the highly competitive July period.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                              ProspectsNation.com named SDSU women's hoops recruit Madi Guebert the top long-range shooter in the national AAU circuit during the highly competitive July period.
                              Very high praise indeed.
                              On a related note, never could understand why Jill Young was never in the 3 pt shoot out contest at the end of the regular season during her four years,she was alway's among the top 3 pt shooters in the nation.I think I just dismissed it as maybe she was invited,but turned them down.

Comment

Its official!

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=209762609

Comment

Working...
                                X