jacks most glaring need..............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacks most glaring need..............

just curious as to fans thoughts: i believe it is essential to find that "special" point guard. i understand it is easier said than done, but, if you want to make some noise in the ncaa tourney, gotta find that point guard. with some hard recruiting, mixed with a little good fortune, it can be accomplished. to be honest, i don't believe they have found anything close to that---so far.

Re: jacks most glaring need..............

need more bench scoring. only getting 6-10 pts per game. 2008-2009 team was 20-30 pts

Comment

I totally agree. Lack of a highly-athletic point guard has been a relative weakness throughout the DI era. Having such a player is essential if you want to do some real damage in the NCAA tourney. Finding such a player in Minnesota/South Dakota is going to be almost impossible. Obviously you can compete just fine in the Summit League without this piece of the puzzle, but don't count on playing in the Sweet 16 or anything. Hopefully the staff is at least looking in more urban areas for such a player.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        I totally agree. Lack of a highly-athletic point guard has been a relative weakness throughout the DI era. Having such a player is essential if you want to do some real damage in the NCAA tourney. Finding such a player in Minnesota/South Dakota is going to be almost impossible. Obviously you can compete just fine in the Summit League without this piece of the puzzle, but don't count on playing in the Sweet 16 or anything. Hopefully the staff is at least looking in more urban areas for such a player.
        "White Men Can't Jump", eh?

Too bad the men's coaches aren't able to find any decent point guards in the Upper Midwest, either . . .
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The men's team can't find a true big man...the women can't find an athletic, quick point gaurd. Have I heard this before?

Comment

This is a joke, right? We have one of the top male point guards in the country and he's hardly from an "urban area." Macie Michelson, from that big metropolis of Lynd, Minn. had over 300 career assists and played point on two NCAA tournament teams. She had two injuries or her stats would even be better. In her healthiest years she ranked second in the Summit in assists and 10th in three-point shooting.

Comment

How about Carly Carper Ramona as a point guard,she's really fast,although she might prefer track.My thoughts really?We used to have an abundence of scorers,now, it seems we struggle more.I remember the 08-09 team playing Oregon i think, wasn't paying much attention to the game, but in about 5 or ten minutes it seems, we were suddenly way ahead like 20 points or so.Happened so quickly and seemingly effortlessly for that team.They could really light up the scoreboard when they started to click.I know they didn't, but it seemed like they scored just about every possession.We should be developing more underclassmen as scorers for next year,we'll need to make up for a lot of points that both Jennie and Jill provide .
              Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-12-2012, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                How about Carly Carper Ramona as a point guard,she's really fast,although she might prefer track.My thoughts really?We used to have an abundence of scorers,now, it seems we struggle more.I remember the 08-09 team playing Oregon i think, wasn't paying much attention to the game, but in about 5 or ten minutes it seems, we were suddenly way ahead like 20 points or so.Happened so quickly and seemingly effortlessly for that team.They could really light up the scoreboard when they started to click.I know they didn't, but it seemed like they scored just about every possession.We should be developing more underclassmen as scorers for next year,we'll need to make up for a lot of points that both Jennie and Jill provide .
                Part of the reason those WNIT and the first NCAA team seemed to score more easily was the number of break-away layups they scored. How many times would Maria and Jenn beat everyone down the floor for an easy score ? Don't know why it doesn't happen now - maybe no one can throw the long pass,or maybe the rest of the Summit finally figured out how to stop it.

Comment

This year's team has a Boever clone in Eide, but will really miss "the 3 pt Assinen" next year. It would be wonderful to pick up a twin pair of 6-5 (or better), coordinated, hoops dominant players, and become the next Xavier. AJ has done fabulous with his upper midwest products. Would an overseas recruitment (under 17 National team) type be someone that SDSU could entice? Many of our Summit competitors seem to draw well in this area. IMHO, I just don't see getting an urban (1.5 mil) player out to SDSU. Even my daughter, currently at SDSU, laments the isolation and the cold (although shouldn't have a thing to vetch about this year on weather).

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    Too bad the men's coaches aren't able to find any decent point guards in the Upper Midwest, either . . .
                    If there is a Comment of the Week on this board, I vote for this one. Great response. The sarcasm pops out at the reader rather well.

Comment

I think what I notice is that we are not the runnin rabbits anymore. Before we could out run from an athletic and speed side too just having great depth to wear teams down. Like we are missing a few key parts if you ask me. I dont feel this team has had a stacie oistad type player for a few years. someone off the bench good enough to start a spark plug who goes in and can impact the game shooting, or D or in the post. Those teams from the WNIT and first year in the summit were stacked with talent, we still have talent, but they don't seem to be as athletic or have the knack for knowing where to go or where to be all the time. I think having a true point guard would help this team, but even when we had macie, we still couldn't figure out how to break a trap. Frankly besides Jill this year, our 3 pt shooting stinks, which IMO has always been a hallmark of SDSU womens teams. We had a long line of SDSU greats from Pater, Davis, Schlagel, Vogel, Wark, Young and many more really solid role players, I just don't see anyone on this current roster who will compete to be some of the best SDSU has ever had. Hopefully I am wrong and they do develop into it, but I just don't see them impact yet.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                        This year's team has a Boever clone in Eide, but will really miss "the 3 pt Assinen" next year. .
                        Not sure I see many similarities in Maria's and Ashley's games. Beyond the obvious 4 inch height difference,Maria was more of an inside,back to the basket player who seldom shot from beyond 10-12 feet. Ashley is more of an outside,face up shooter who can slash. Maria was a better defender and rebounder,with more quickness and foot speed. Both good,but different players.

Comment

But we're winning and that's the main thing!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            I think what I notice is that we are not the runnin rabbits anymore. Before we could out run from an athletic and speed side too just having great depth to wear teams down. Like we are missing a few key parts if you ask me. I dont feel this team has had a stacie oistad type player for a few years. someone off the bench good enough to start a spark plug who goes in and can impact the game shooting, or D or in the post. Those teams from the WNIT and first year in the summit were stacked with talent, we still have talent, but they don't seem to be as athletic or have the knack for knowing where to go or where to be all the time. I think having a true point guard would help this team, but even when we had macie, we still couldn't figure out how to break a trap. Frankly besides Jill this year, our 3 pt shooting stinks, which IMO has always been a hallmark of SDSU womens teams. We had a long line of SDSU greats from Pater, Davis, Schlagel, Vogel, Wark, Young and many more really solid role players, I just don't see anyone on this current roster who will compete to be some of the best SDSU has ever had. Hopefully I am wrong and they do develop into it, but I just don't see them impact yet.
                            In our D11 days our running rabbits did wear down teams. Mostly with our quality depth. However, that has gone away for one huge reason. With all of the current media time outs - plus the team time outs it has really changed the complection of the game. Teams don't need to go nearly as deep off the bench anymore because of all the rest periods. This is true with both the men and the womens game. If you stay healthy and out of foul trouble you can survive with 6 or 7 players vs the 10 deep with our previous teams.

That said we could still use a quality point guard for our Women. We have good players but none are natural point guards.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Not sure I can agree with the statement "but none are natural point guards." Gabby Boever is a natural point guard, and I don't think you can rule out her being a very good one yet. She's a freshman (redshirt) and when she got her first action this year, it was almost two years since she had played in a competitive basketball game. With none of the other guards being "natural point guards", we've rotated between using Steph, Tara and Jill out of position. Gabby has probably less than two games worth of playing time, and she is fast enough, takes care of the ball well (most of the time, I know she has made some bad passes, but who else hasn't) and I think shows that next year she may get a lot more playing time and be a pretty good point guard by the time she is a junior.

Comment

Working...
                              X