Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Xavier Game Day Thread

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    Last year,after playing Oklahoma,we needed a long, fast,athletic , guard to advance to the next level.After playing Xavier , my guess is we'll need an athletic, big bodied post player.Just a hunch....
    I'm thinking both. The guard for defenser and the post for offense.

Not saying the current players aren't very talented, they are. They also work and play hard. I think they play above expectations and should be commended for their accomplishements.

I do though think that to get to the next level State needs a bit more athletic players at the the point and post. That's all.
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Forgot to say to the team how well i thought they rebounded from all the early turmoil and doubt they had earlier in the season and really played hard and turned it all around.Really proud of them for showing that type of character,when they could just as easily succumbed to the criticism and just give up on the season.Keep us fans spoiled!

On a side note........I'm pulling for Xavier to go the distance, strickly a selfish motive.It can't hurt our resume if we lost to the "National Champs" in the first rd.
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-20-2011, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I'm going to disagree some. If that's the 5th ranked team in women's college basketball, call me unimpressed. I didn't really expect the Jacks to win, but I expected Xavier to look a lot better than that.

If the Jacks wouldn't have shot about 10% in the second half, X would have been sweating in their shoes. And it was not extremely contested shots that didn't go in. There were A LOT of open looks and that bucket just had a lid on it.

Phillips had dominating stats and she has a very soft shot, but jeez does she have a zip code in the lane? And maybe they could call a foul with her shoving people out of the way with her fat rear end on the offensive boards.

I'm not saying the Jacks got homered, but they got no calls and couldn't make a shot. The '08-'09 Jacks would have beat that Xavier team. But the Jacks were a 15 seed for a reason and those Jacks were an underrated 7 seed.

But once again, after a terrible 1-8 stretch in the middle of the season, going Dancing again was a very good accomplishment for this team.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnJack View Post
          No great analysis here. Xavier is just really, really good.
          I agree X is an excellent team. To be honest I think the game turned out about how I would have expected it to. A number 15 seed playing a number 2 seed on their home floor. Plus, the number 5 ranked team in the nation. A tall order indeed.....no pun (sp) intended, but they were tall.. X is ranked #5 for a reason. Will they go the distance? I doubt it but they will make it difficult on anyone they play to beat them.

Be proud Lady Jacks. Jackrabbit nation is proud of you. Thank you all for another great season especially the three seniors. A WNIT and three NCAA appearances. Pretty respectable I say. Wait till next year. Go Jacks.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
            I'm sorry, but I'm going to disagree some. If that's the 5th ranked team in women's college basketball, call me unimpressed. I didn't really expect the Jacks to win, but I expected Xavier to look a lot better than that.

If the Jacks wouldn't have shot about 10% in the second half, X would have been sweating in their shoes. And it was not extremely contested shots that didn't go in. There were A LOT of open looks and that bucket just had a lid on it.

Phillips had dominating stats and she has a very soft shot, but jeez does she have a zip code in the lane? And maybe they could call a foul with her shoving people out of the way with her fat rear end on the offensive boards.

I'm not saying the Jacks got homered, but they got no calls and couldn't make a shot. The '08-'09 Jacks would have beat that Xavier team. But the Jacks were a 15 seed for a reason and those Jacks were an underrated 7 seed.

But once again, after a terrible 1-8 stretch in the middle of the season, going Dancing again was a very good accomplishment for this team.
            The best way to eliminate Xavier is to make the game very up-tempo and force them to really run the floor. The two posts didn't look to be in the greatest shape,and they aren't deep off the bench. Now to do that,a team will have to rebound much better than the Jacks did,but it can be done.

Comment

To put a disappointing loss into perspective,in today's games, we lost to a very good # 2 seed on their home floor by less points than a number 13 did to a #4 (22 PTS),a #12 to a #5 (same 16 pts),a #14 to a #3 (18 pts),a # 10 to a #7 (18 pts),a # 15 to a #2 (40 pts),a #14 to a #3 (30 pts),.....so far.Just saying.....i'm proud of the effort our Jacks put up!!!

Comment

1. They won, but I do not feel that they were worthy of a 2 seed. They have the 2 bigs, not much else. We had plenty of open looks, and if a few shots fall, it may have been a different story. I felt Oklahoma last year was a much better team.

2. Thanks to the seniors for all the wonderful memories.

Comment

Load up again with a roster of 14-15, all that are great 3 pt shooters,and the big posts can camp in the paint and watch basket after basket rip thru the nets til they have to come out to the perimeter then you have players like Warkenthein,Boever,Sunny, Lingle ready to do their thing with a little room to manuever(sp?)The 2008-2009 team was loaded with 3 pt shooters,bigs too.Now, they watch game film and shut down Kristin ,who only took 3 ,3 point shots the whole game.If all 5 players on the court are 3 pt threats,it helps for all the shooters to get a little breathing room to shoot.Both Kristin and Jill were much better 3 pt shooters when they knew there were others on the team that could have big 3 pt shooting games too(their freshmen yrs,kristin set fr 3pt record,then jill broke it the next yr)If we don't recruit nationally, get the best players in the area who can play well,but also shoot the 3 well.We have plenty in this area.

Comment

Great game. You really gave us a game in the first half. Honestly, I think the game and momentum changer came in the last minute or two of the half. I think the score was very close or tied before that point.

I agree there were times we did not look like the number two seed team. Some credit to your team for that. A friend of mone advanced the theory that we tend to be willing to just trade baskets in the first half of a game, run our opponent ragged, then come up with a killer run. This isn't the first game we have played like that, and come up with a nice win in the end.

Credit also goes to your fans, you really traveled well on short notice and such a great distance.

Best of luck to you next season.

Comment

Originally posted by coasterville View Post
                      Great game. You really gave us a game in the first half. Honestly, I think the game and momentum changer came in the last minute or two of the half. I think the score was very close or tied before that point.

I agree there were times we did not look like the number two seed team. Some credit to your team for that. A friend of mone advanced the theory that we tend to be willing to just trade baskets in the first half of a game, run our opponent ragged, then come up with a killer run. This isn't the first game we have played like that, and come up with a nice win in the end.

Credit also goes to your fans, you really traveled well on short notice and such a great distance.

Best of luck to you next season.
                      Thanks for you comments and also for the info about Cinninati. I am sure it was helpful to those made the trip. I lived in Dayton or Vandalia from 1973-76, No doubt a lot of changes since that time.

One of my spur of the moment trips was to jump in the car and head to Riverfront Staduim for a Reds game. There were always some very young kids scalping tickets and often I got a very good seat. I never got to visit the campus of Xavier, but its got to be class place. Thanks again and we will take your good luck wish for next season as we hope to be back again.

Comment

just got back from the game, a nice 10 round trip, left at 6 am and just got back at 10pm. if X didnt have those two trees the Jacks could have taken them. dont know why they didn't go after them to try to get the fouls but then the refs weren't calling them on X either. 53 is slow but uses her size down low well. if you saw the Louisville game the refs let that one go. very physical. sat with the Louisville fans, I'm rooting for them.

Comment

was thinking pretty much the same thing as another poster---thought we might go after their "bigs" a bit more and try and get them in some foul trouble. easier said than done, tho. i thought it was pretty obvious that the jacks played hard and left it out on the court. during some tv shots, you could see some frustration on their faces.

i have to admit, around mid-season, i started to think "it's just one of those years". however, it says alot for your program when you are faced with adversity (ie, the "tough stretch", things just not going right, not to mention injuries) and, ending the season with a summit tourney championship and making the ncaa tournament. hats off to the players and staff!

imo, the jacks need to get a "break"---or luck, whatever you want to call it, in the area of recruiting. find that point guard (chambers-ksu, vandersloot-zags, whalen-minn; just a few that come to mind). now, i know it's awful tough, because the odds are one the big schools is gonna get them. just sayin', need a break that one wants to be a jackrabbit. a great point guard can take you a looong ways!

ps: (or get really fortunate and end up with a pg that turns out to be that "hidden gem")

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                            1. They won, but I do not feel that they were worthy of a 2 seed. They have the 2 bigs, not much else. We had plenty of open looks, and if a few shots fall, it may have been a different story. I felt Oklahoma last year was a much better team.

2. Thanks to the seniors for all the wonderful memories.
                            I stand by number 1. Xavier was not worthy of a 2 seed. They just got spanked by Louisville.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                              I stand by number 1. Xavier was not worthy of a 2 seed. They just got spanked by Louisville.
                              Perhaps we wore them down...

Comment

turnover after turnover by XU. Hard to believe that they played so poorly vs Louisville after their game vs Jacks

Comment

Working...
                                X