Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: congrats.

Originally posted by SDSU16 View Post
    According to TV's Argus article, they were "married last Wed in a small ceremony in AJ's home state of Minnesota".

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...27/1002/SPORTS

Hope the link works.
    Congratulations to AJ and Laurie. I think Terry is on to something, as over on Bisonville a seemly knowledgeable poster had heard that the fact that Laurie did not have an advanced degree in order to serve as his assistant at UW-Green Bay more or less threw a monkey wrench into the machine on taking that coaching job. It only follows since they worked as a team at SDSU, he would have wanted that to continue at UW-Green Bay. Not being able to bring your assistant along would be a stopper, but I have no facts here just speculation that sounded reasonable. Different schools have different requirements.

I would think having a relationship with a subordinate is a personnel no-no, so no doubt this is why their relationship has been somewhat secluded. I am hardly an expert on personnel at SDSU, but most entities of size have these kind of rules.

I personally am very happy for them and hope they both stay at SDSU for a long time. This may be a down year, but it happens to all good coaches somewhere along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Congratulations to AJ and Laurie. I think Terry is on to something, as over on Bisonville a seemly knowledgeable poster had heard that the fact that Laurie did not have an advanced degree in order to serve as his assistant at UW-Green Bay more or less threw a monkey wrench into the machine on taking that coaching job. It only follows since they worked as a team at SDSU, he would have wanted that to continue at UW-Green Bay. Not being able to bring your assistant along would be a stopper, but I have no facts here just speculation that sounded reasonable. Different schools have different requirements.
      You don't need an advanced degree to be a D-I assistant women's BB coach. Technically, you don't even need a college degree but 95% of colleges aren't going to hire you if you don't have one. A regular 4-year degree works just fine and Laurie graduated from Augusta with a degree in Elementary Education.

Her old SDSU bio here.

So, she not having an advanced degree had nothing to do with her not being able to get the job at UW-Green Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
        You don't need an advanced degree to be a D-I assistant women's BB coach. Technically, you don't even need a college degree but 95% of colleges aren't going to hire you if you don't have one. A regular 4-year degree works just fine and Laurie graduated from Augusta with a degree in Elementary Education.

Her old SDSU bio here.

So, she not having an advanced degree had nothing to do with her not being able to get the job at UW-Green Bay.
        You don't need to be board certified to be a physician but you do need to be board certified to work at many clinics and hospitals, especially university hospitals. So, the fact you don't need an advanced degree doesn't mean you can work everywhere.

I'm not saying it had any affect here but some places have higher expectations than just meeting the minimum criteria to qualify for a position.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

She has a bachelors, i am thinking that if you searched not many coaches are going to have masters and Phds (advanced degree) i think personal decisions played a part of his decision but then again who really cares. She was a great coach with great quallifications. afterall okl coach went from coaching hs to being the sooners head coach.... its all about skill.

Comment

My intuition told me that something like this was in play during the UWGB affair (if I may use that word in this context <grin> ) but not knowing either one of them much at all and having no particular evidence one way or another, I kept my intuition to myself.

Mucho congrats to AJ and Laurie . . . may they have many successful and happy years . . . in Brookings!
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I know them both. (A little).

Not enough to say we're "friends". But certainly more than acquaintances.

Both great people.

And if I can clarify my earlier post. Neither I or any of my friends knew anything was going on. But it was something that people discussed, at times. More of a "Do you think?" kind of thing. It was all speculation, and I never felt it worthy of mentioning at all.

However, now that it is official, I think it's great, and would like to congratulate both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

Her old SDSU bio here.

Perhaps you are correct, as said I was going on something I read on Bisonville, and we all know how reliable that can often be. What got me to bite on that scenrio was the possiblity that her position at UW-GB required teaching in the classroom, where possibly an advanced degree was required. Obviously there was something that made AJ turnaround and head back to BT, and whatever it was we may never know. I know one thing, I will not be asking AJ about this the next time I see him shopping at HYVEE. I will offer my congrats though.

Comment

Friends knew they have been a "twosome" for quite awhile, but things had to be worked out, including career paths, I assume. But I couldn't be happier for any two nicer people! We are thrilled for them.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    My intuition told me that something like this was in play during the UWGB affair (if I may use that word in this context <grin> ) but not knowing either one of them much at all and having no particular evidence one way or another, I kept my intuition to myself.

Mucho congrats to AJ and Laurie . . . may they have many successful and happy years . . . in Brookings!
                    I also held the same thoughts, although not necessarily because of the UWGB deal, but more based on seeing them together at various events.

I, as well, held my thoughts to myself because I had no clue if I was just making it to be something more than it was or if they were indeed "there together".

Congrats!
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Speculation, rumors whatever. It's great news and I wish them both the best of luck and hope they have a bunch of little players and coaches in the future. Plus at this point of the season a little breakfast assistant coaching can't hurt.

Comment

It sure didn't take long for this to be a non-story. That's the way it should be!

Congrats to both of them! Two people that we can all be proud to have representing SDSU!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X